Aune T1 or Audinst HUD-mx2; also DT880, Q701 or Fidelio X1?
Jan 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

exSpire

Head-Fier
Yeah, best title. Hi, everyone. I'm contemplating between those in the title.

DAC\Amp:
This will be my first DAC\Amp. I've read good things about both. I'm leaning towards the Aune T1 because of the modularity of the tubes and the fact that I can just upgrade the Amp in the future and still use the T1's DAC. Also I like the fact that I'll be able to "play" with the sound by just trying different tubes.
I saw a review of the Audinst in comparison with the O2+ODAC combo, they seemed similar and both look like great choices, however with shipping the O2+ODAC is $300 while the Audinst is $210.
Many other DACs and Amps came into mind, including the NFB-15.32 and the Schiit stack but with shipping theyr'e about $270.

Another thing, I'm going to be using this mainly for music but also for movies and gaming. In priority I can say Music> Movies> Gaming.
So I want to ask if its possible to plug a DAC directly to the soundcard and utilize DTS\Dolby\whatever? If so, what are the drawbacks? (because there must be some)

Headphones:
Not much to say, I'm currently using the AD700 and I absolutely love them. The soundstage, the clarity.. No, I don't care that much about bass.
I'd love some one line descriptions of the above headphones in regard to each other (or to my AD700), that would definitely help me.

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 8
Are you talking about Dolby & DTS multi-channel (5.1, etc) digital, like for movies? That's of no use to you with stereo headphones. When it becomes stereo, it all gets reduced down to a left & right channel.

When the DAC is plugged into your USB port, it becomes your soundcard and your onboard soundcard is no longer used. So, no, you can't use any features from your soundcard. However, if your soundcard and your DAC have an optical or coax digital connection, then that *might* give you a path for feeding the multi-channel digital to a downstream device that can handle it - but I'm really not sure about that one.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 8
Hey,
Thanks for your reply

What do you think about Aune T1 \ Audinst HUD-mx2 ?
I heard bad things about the T1's reliability or maybe just susceptibility to faulty units.

------
Headphones:

I'm a bit reluctant with the Fidelio X1 and the Q701. I've read plenty of horrible experiences about the headband of the Q701 being very uncomfortable, and you can't replace the X1's earpads. Seriously, what were they thinking?!

So that leave me with just.. the DT880..
I wish I had another option. I read here and there that the mids are a bit recessed and coming from the AD700 I'd rather have them a bit forward. :\
Are there any option that I'm overlooking?

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 8
You could check out the DT990 Pros. They have a rather similar sound signature to that of the Fidelio X1 from what i've heard, but with replaceable headband and ear pads :D Also they retail for about $150 on amazon.

As for the Aune T1, you can get plenty of help over there: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq

Maybe someone over there can give you a good comparison to the Audinst.

Cheers.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 8
  Yeah, best title. Hi, everyone. I'm contemplating between those in the title.

DAC\Amp:
This will be my first DAC\Amp. I've read good things about both. I'm leaning towards the Aune T1 because of the modularity of the tubes and the fact that I can just upgrade the Amp in the future and still use the T1's DAC. Also I like the fact that I'll be able to "play" with the sound by just trying different tubes.
I saw a review of the Audinst in comparison with the O2+ODAC combo, they seemed similar and both look like great choices, however with shipping the O2+ODAC is $300 while the Audinst is $210.
Many other DACs and Amps came into mind, including the NFB-15.32 and the Schiit stack but with shipping theyr'e about $270.

Another thing, I'm going to be using this mainly for music but also for movies and gaming. In priority I can say Music> Movies> Gaming.
So I want to ask if its possible to plug a DAC directly to the soundcard and utilize DTS\Dolby\whatever? If so, what are the drawbacks? (because there must be some)

Headphones:
Not much to say, I'm currently using the AD700 and I absolutely love them. The soundstage, the clarity.. No, I don't care that much about bass.
I'd love some one line descriptions of the above headphones in regard to each other (or to my AD700), that would definitely help me.

Thanks!

Hello,

Any of the headphones you mentioned above may benefit with tube. So my vote goes to the Aune T1. I am sure the Aune T1 will provide more power to benefit the AKG but I am not sure about the Audinst as I can't find any detail about it's output power.

As for headphone, if you like the clean sound of your ATH-AD700, the Philip X1 may not be for you! It's warmest of all and it may sound muddy to you since you come from a very clean sounding headphone :) do consider the AKG K712 though.

Hope it helps
Billson :) 

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for your comments guys.

I'm willing to strech my budget and go for the HE-400, but is it worth it over the DT880? The difference is at least $150.

Yeah, Billson, I am used to the AD700 but I am open minded and I don't mind adventures. I want to taste other things and experiment. I did in fact read a lot about each heaphones that I thought of buying, except for the Fidelio X1. I gave it up the second I heard that the earpads are not replaceable.

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 8
  Thanks for your comments guys.

I'm willing to strech my budget and go for the HE-400, but is it worth it over the DT880? The difference is at least $150.

Yeah, Billson, I am used to the AD700 but I am open minded and I don't mind adventures. I want to taste other things and experiment. I did in fact read a lot about each heaphones that I thought of buying, except for the Fidelio X1. I gave it up the second I heard that the earpads are not replaceable.

The HE-400 or DT880 question is like an apple or orange question IMO. The HE-400 is warm and dark. The DT880 is thinner in comparison and bright. If you fall deeply in love with your ATH-AD700, go for the DT880, if you wish to start an adventure with this purchase, go for the HE-400 and challenge yourself! 

In all honesty, I really can't like the X1... They just sound pure warmish and bassy to me haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back