Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 28, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #4,426 of 8,309
Initial Impressions:

Tubes do make a large difference with this amp/DAC and I can't wait to break in my NOS tubes and caps.  My Philips JAN 6922 are much more bass heavy than my primary Amperex ECC88 6DJ8 which offer tighter bass with better clarity on the top end.  Overall I am highly impressed with the line out going from my Creative ZXR to the Aune T1.  BTW how do you pronounce Aune?  Is it like Tune with an A in the beginning?

I only have 2 hours or so on it, so I'll report back later after I have over 20 hours and I change out the capacitors.  BTW I have another question, if you want to roll tubes on this do you need to turn it off swap the tube and then turn it back on?  This is what I have been doing, but wondering if that is the common method or not.

I still haven't cracked her open because I have either been sleeping/working or spending the little bit of time I have listening to the Aune T1.  I plan to open her up after I am done listening tonight and check which caps are inside. 

I'd appreciate it if someone could also answer my question on the gain settings to use for SoundMAGIC HP100s.

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #4,427 of 8,309
  I buy all my tubes (mainly guitar amp tubes) off of Ebay from sellers who have high ratings and test their tubes on Hickoks or similar.  There is a seller named greengirl613 who is very highly rated for selling tubes and I personally recommend her.  Some people are nay sayers towards Ebay, but I have found some great sounding tubes at very reasonable prices.  However for tubes like my Power/Output tubes on my Fender Blues Jr, I paid a nice premium for highly rated NOS US GE EL84s (from greengirl613).

For example here is my RCA/Amperex tube:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161206328275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You need a 6DJ8 type tube for the Aune T1. This tube is also listed as E88CC, 6922, 7308 and others.
Take a look at the thread opener which talks about some different sources and tube types. Depending on where you live there are various dealers. If you are from Australia you can put this in the in thread search and you should find recommendations for dealers. The following provides a basic summary of the 6DJ8 type tubes which work with the Aune T1. http://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/6922-Tube-Types.html I wouldn't recommend upscale audio for those out of the US. Shipping is too high. There are many tubes discussed on this thread, but the tube starter is

Thank you for your help guys, great starting point for me and I will do some more readings about these tubes

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #4,428 of 8,309
This would be good reading for you:  http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #4,429 of 8,309
  This would be good reading for you:  http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

Holy Crap !!! You just helped me too !!! When I was doing the 12AX7 family, I had diligently read Joes on those and found my Sylvania Black Plate 5751 Gold brand , steel pins...and they were the final choice set for my amp...Unreal tubes...there were close seconds, but these were the cream of the crop (and priced accordingly...LOL)

Now you show me he as a 6DJ8 review...AWESOME...Thanks

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #4,430 of 8,309

You mean *these* tubes (6922/E88CC/etc.)?  Because I am highly involved in tube amps for guitars which use EL84/EL34/6V6/6L6/etc. and those tubes reach a completely different temperature from preamp tubes in a guitar amp (12AX7/12AY7/etc.)  You are probably right about the oil on your hands not mattering on these low heat output tubes, but I'll stick my policy of not touching tube directly.  There are guys that have been working on amps since when NOS was current production (lol) who I know that all agree with not touching tubes.

However there is one thing I mentioned a few days back that would still apply to these lower heat tubes.  When the tube is "hot" it is way more likely to be damaged (microphonics) than if you let them cool off first before pulling/moving them.

I also have many tube amps that use EL84/EL34/6L6/KT88 and so on output tubes. Won't hurt the tube....but may leave a brownish fingerprint. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4,431 of 8,309
Okay guys...Jump on one of these if you can...there are some out there. They look like hell(that's just how they look). But one of these is my #1 tube..Top to bottom range clear, musical, awesome soundstage and forward mids...You ARE literally there

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.Xge+6dj8+smoked&_nkw=ge+6dj8+smoked&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #4,432 of 8,309
I'm currently listening to my HE-400's from this: Auzen Forte --> Analogue --> FiiO E9 or Auzen Forte --> Optical --> Denon AVR-1613 (also part of my 2.1 system is necessary to be an extension of any audio chain I use... the headphone output is good, but the E9 has just enough more power to help the HE-400's have a little more impact otherwise I wouldn't be here!).

A friend of mine shined me onto the $129/shipped deal going on...and I'm tempted but I don't want to side-grade. I have been told the DAC in the T1 is superior to the one in my Auzen Forte and that the amp should do a good job but no real comparisons to the E9. My E9 has been steady for years...it's nothing special I know but at the same time it's also not total garbage (at least my part). My sound card amp, my Denon both drive the HE-400 well enough but the E9 has the raw power that adds impact...and it's great! I've read the 400 is the only planar this T1 can run...but that it does a good job, some don't like the pairing...I prefer bass. I don't know if I can afford a bassier tube or not. I am not afraid to EQ and am prepared to use an APO EQ if needed. Is this worth my time or money? Will I gain anything with my HE-400's from this? I listen to a lot of music, mostly rock, hard rock, metal, etc.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #4,433 of 8,309
  I'm currently listening to my HE-400's from this: Auzen Forte --> Analogue --> FiiO E9 or Auzen Forte --> Optical --> Denon AVR-1613 (also part of my 2.1 system is necessary to be an extension of any audio chain I use... the headphone output is good, but the E9 has just enough more power to help the HE-400's have a little more impact otherwise I wouldn't be here!).

A friend of mine shined me onto the $129/shipped deal going on...and I'm tempted but I don't want to side-grade. I have been told the DAC in the T1 is superior to the one in my Auzen Forte and that the amp should do a good job but no real comparisons to the E9. My E9 has been steady for years...it's nothing special I know but at the same time it's also not total garbage (at least my part). My sound card amp, my Denon both drive the HE-400 well enough but the E9 has the raw power that adds impact...and it's great! I've read the 400 is the only planar this T1 can run...but that it does a good job, some don't like the pairing...I prefer bass. I don't know if I can afford a bassier tube or not. I am not afraid to EQ and am prepared to use an APO EQ if needed. Is this worth my time or money? Will I gain anything with my HE-400's from this? I listen to a lot of music, mostly rock, hard rock, metal, etc.

You will do great and YES, you can afford a BASS tube...they are pretty inexpensive as tubes go...and it is killer through a system with speakers..or RCA out to a different head amp...

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #4,434 of 8,309
That good huh? Well I'm listening. I just need some guidance.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #4,435 of 8,309
I figured this thing had an opamp/s inside, but I didn't expect it to be a DIP8, hell I have like 4 or 5 extras of those sitting around including a MUSES01.  I've never even heard of the one that is in it, it says ATMLU122 (which I can't find a damn thing on) along with the BB OPA2134UA.  I also wasn't expecting to see a Burr Brown DAC inside either though.  The one odd thing I thought was I didn't expect the T1 to output sound with no tube inserted (using line in mode).  I know the tube isn't a power tube, but still kind of surprised me when I was rolling through tubes.

BTW, my secondaries are the 330uF not the 470uF.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #4,436 of 8,309
  I figured this thing had an opamp/s inside, but I didn't expect it to be a DIP8, hell I have like 4 or 5 extras of those sitting around including a MUSES01.  I've never even heard of the one that is in it, it says ATMLU122 (which I can't find a damn thing on) along with the BB OPA2134UA.  I also wasn't expecting to see a Burr Brown DAC inside either though. 

And is that good ?

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #4,437 of 8,309
Well yea, seeing a Burr Brown DAC inside something this affordable is always nice.  However I'd like to know what that DIP8 opamp's purpose is on the board and if it is single or dual.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #4,438 of 8,309
  Well yea, seeing a Burr Brown DAC inside something this affordable is always nice.  However I'd like to know what that DIP8 opamp's purpose is on the board and if it is single or dual.

And from what I see the ATMLU 122 is some sort of 2.5gb transceiver ? Hard to find data ...that was a guess about ATMLU 136

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #4,439 of 8,309
Have quite a few more tubes to add to the list. Using a 5BK7A right now. It sounds great. Running the heater 1.3 volts higher than specced *might* shorten the life of the filaments, but who cares.....these tubes are cheap.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #4,440 of 8,309
Are the tubes that work for the T1 the same tubes used in amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back