Aune X5S Digital Transport
Jan 19, 2017 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Andrew Rieger

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone have experience with the Aune X5S Digi transport?

Link: http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=Home/Article/detail/id/101.html

Looks interesting but reviews are pretty much nonexistent. 

Apr 6, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 39
852344DD-76F9-4041-AD05-8354B11B8976.jpeg

Gotta say I’m late finding this, however I have one and linked to my little dot II using my Turbulent X Grado clones it sounds detailed and warm (obviously headphone choice will affect sound somewhat). Plays dsd, hi-res, flac etc. The onboard dac is a decent sounding one - Burr-Brown I think, as such it will obviously be better then the cheap built in phone or cheap player ones or pc/laptop effort. I would definitely get one of these to replace my cd player simply on size and looks on my desktop. This is a great little digital turntable/player.
Once you get the settings into English - see supplied SD Card for pdf manual. Format SD Card to fat 32 and you should have no problems. Remote is a bit small, with a shortish range, but useful as using buttons is a pain for navigation. Display is basic, but will give you title/format/bit-rate. However it will read card in the order it was loaded only, no sorting into groups/genre etc. so only basic file tags and not meta-data tags. This simple player only uses sd cards and usb memory is not supported, so no flash drives or usb hdds.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 39
42DA1EB2-7242-46EB-9142-026F0281BC7C.jpeg

May 6, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 39
Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 39
I just purchased the Aune X5S 8th anniversary, the non Bluetooth version for $300

Hopefully it does not have a crosstalk issue as does both the Topping M50 and the SMSL SD-9. I’m extremely disappointed in this SQ design fatal in both units.

Got the X5S for a bedroom setup. My main setup uses an sotm sms-200 Neo which I’m extremely happy with at $450.

I just need to play music from a SSD and I just use the shuffle function like a jukebox.

Question for existing owners do you advise using an external DAC? Any picks as far as synergy? I have the below available DACs

Bifrost 2/64
Topping D70S
Smsl D400 ES
Geshelli J2 (the original AKM chip prior to fire)

May 13, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 39
Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 39
I just got a 6th anniversary version but can’t get it to play any of my external ssd drives, but an exFAT 512gb thumb drive works fine. Is this a voltage output over usb issue?

May 13, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 39
I just got a 6th anniversary version but can’t get it to play any of my external ssd drives, but an exFAT 512gb thumb drive works fine. Is this a voltage output over usb issue?

I don’t know as of yet … I’m waiting on delivery

But maybe the usb cable you are using is only for data … you might need to try a few different cables .. ones that are for both data and power

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 39
First day with the X5S 8th .. I’m very impressed… will an after market linear power supply help improve things? I have an old one I got from eBay .. tomorrow I’ll dig it out and try .. though I doubt it will be of much help

One other thing .. after the X5S completed scanning my SSD music library .. it was missing one track … I know I have one very long file/track name and I also have one file/track name with Japanese characters…I’ll try to check if either of these are the issue … anyone know of any other scanning issues? I know in the past with portable DAPs I had an issue with a Phil Collins album/directory name it started with three periods … I had to remove them in order to get the album to play

Today I used a topping D70s DAC .. tomorrow I’ll try the bifrost 2/64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back