Auris Nirvana EL34 Amp in the house!
Sep 26, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #46 of 1,058
I'm also considering the Auris Nirvana for when I scoop up a pair of Susvaras. I exchanged some emails with Auris and they said that they get inquiries all the time from Abyss 1266 Phi owners asking if this amp can sufficiently drive the Phis. They said it is a great pairing. I'd don't see any reason not to believe that considering the Phi is a tad bit easier to drive than the Susvaras. The other option for is the Woo WA33 but it's a significant step up in price. Anyone tube rolling yet with the Nirvana?

Yes, on the tube rolling. I've used tubes on my hi-fi rig for years so I have a decent number of 12AU7 tubes. Gravitated to the mid rich sound of Mullards but I do have a couple of Telefunkens. I've come to the conclusion that modern power tubes combined with NOS on the driver side are the best combo or reliability and sound. For the Nirvana the sound with the stock tubes is great - if you never tube roll, you'll be very happy. I procured a matched set of Sophia Electric EL34's - and comparing them from the stock EL34's (and with the supplied JJ 12Au7) - there's a modest change in depth of sound - the already powerful Nirvana picks up just a tad more heft to it's sound. I rolled in a Mullard long plate (K61 stamped for those who care about such things) - and there was a change in sound signature. The mids moved up and a bit more pronounced. I switched over to a Telefunken red tip - and there was a bit more on top - more air, as lots of people say. If you haven't tube rolled before - I'd like to point out these are not in your face changes. I say the best description is you can shape the sound more to your own tastes. And it's quite different that changing the EQ. To me (and it's just me) I found most EQ changes sound artificial where tube rolling sounds more real. There are more tubes to try Brimars, CBS, RCA - it's part of the journey and the fun.

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #47 of 1,058
@JafoNYC that's great guidance. Much appreciated. Tube rolling sounds like an exciting journey. I'm looking forward to it...not so sure my wallet is..

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #48 of 1,058
I have use nirvana for a while, and I have to say I can hear clear hum noise with Denon d5200 or any IEMs I have. Only fine with my susvara, any one has same situation or just me? Should I change stock tube or I need a power conditioner ?thanks!

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #49 of 1,058
I have use nirvana for a while, and I have to say I can hear clear hum noise with Denon d5200 or any IEMs I have. Only fine with my susvara, any one has same situation or just me? Should I change stock tube or I need a power conditioner ?thanks!
If I am using a iem, i lower the input power with a preamp....problem solved for me. I do also use a power conditioner.

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #50 of 1,058
My Nirvana produces no hum at all with any headphone that I’ve used with it including my Utopia, Verite Open/Closed, Abyss 1266 TC, LCD 4z and Susvara. I have my Nirvana and all other components plugged into my Equi=Tech 2RQ balanced power conditioner. Are you hearing hum or white noise (hiss)?

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #52 of 1,058
My Nirvana produces no hum at all with any headphone that I’ve used with it including my Utopia, Verite Open/Closed, Abyss 1266 TC, LCD 4z and Susvara. I have my Nirvana and all other components plugged into my Equi=Tech 2RQ balanced power conditioner. Are you hearing hum or white noise (hiss)?
Thanks for sharing! Now I use Shunyata Delta D6 power conditioner, still has hum. Have you try any IEMs? or high sensitive headphones? For my susvara is no hum, but d5200 is 103db sensitive and 25 ohm impedance.

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #53 of 1,058
My experience was that higher sensitivity headphones (Fostex TH 900, Audeze LCD-XC) there was hum in the background. For lower sensitivity (HE 1K & Susvara) it wasn't there. I tried 2 power conditioners: An Isotek Polaris and a Niagara 1200. Polaris was a slight reduction - the Niagara was complete silence.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #54 of 1,058
My experience was that higher sensitivity headphones (Fostex TH 900, Audeze LCD-XC) there was hum in the background. For lower sensitivity (HE 1K & Susvara) it wasn't there. I tried 2 power conditioners: An Isotek Polaris and a Niagara 1200. Polaris was a slight reduction - the Niagara was complete silence.
Thanks for sharing your experience, you mean Niagara was complete silence for high sensitive headphones too? My power conditioner dose not lower the hum but dose make better sound.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #55 of 1,058
Thanks for sharing your experience, you mean Niagara was complete silence for high sensitive headphones too? My power conditioner dose not lower the hum but dose make better sound.
The Niagara got the hum down with my LCD's where I had to crank it the volume knob to a level where I would never realistically listen to it. (3 or 4 o'clock) to really get the hum and it was as much of the white noise you get at those levels. The Niagara is the best power conditioner I've used - both from a sound standpoint and getting as black a noise floor as possible.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #56 of 1,058
The Niagara got the hum down with my LCD's where I had to crank it the volume knob to a level where I would never realistically listen to it. (3 or 4 o'clock) to really get the hum and it was as much of the white noise you get at those levels. The Niagara is the best power conditioner I've used - both from a sound standpoint and getting as black a noise floor as possible.
That is same on me, after 3 o’clock the hum going to another level. I ordered some RFT el34 tubes on the way, they say that can lower some noise. I hope it works.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #57 of 1,058
Hi, may I ask which input you were using with Nirvana? Xlr or rca? I’m currently using xlr that’s why I’m thinking the xlr produce more hum. Thanks

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #58 of 1,058
the hum was there in both the RCA's and XLR. I believe the XLR has a higher dB which can make the hum seem louder.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #59 of 1,058
Hello! I am new here. Just bought this amp with Susvara and Qutest. Absolutely loving it so far.

What are the recommended tubes for some rolling? What types of tubes can I roll into this thing?

Sorry, I'm a newb. Just don't want to blow this thing and would like some advice for what people seem to like the best, possibly paired with Susvara?

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #60 of 1,058
Hello! I am new here. Just bought this amp with Susvara and Qutest. Absolutely loving it so far.

What are the recommended tubes for some rolling? What types of tubes can I roll into this thing?

Sorry, I'm a newb. Just don't want to blow this thing and would like some advice for what people seem to like the best, possibly paired with Susvara?

My review covers the tube types and offers some suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back