Avantone : Pro Planar
Aug 8, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #1,336 of 1,500
Yeah, pretty much. The R70X and Planar are a step-up for vocals over the Zeus. And yeah, if you're more sensitive to parts of the treble, Zeus wouldn't be a safe bet.

For my "grainy" comment, I'm not sure if it's the same thing as what other reviewers are talking about as I usually hear them use it in reference to the treble. I was just kind of trying to describe the texture it adds to the sound. If you want to hear what I mean, open up an EQ and try bumping up the 1-2khz areas and see what it does to female vocals. It's not extreme, but there's just a slight hint of it in the Avantone's stock tonality.

In terms of all-roundedness, I'd say R70X > Planar > Zeus. Zeus is definitely more picky, I actually like to use it more with orchestral stuff. The Planar is less versatile than the R70X just because its tonality is darker. Like I said, this makes some instruments sound blunted and too hard to make out if they're in the background. But if you EQ, yeah the Planar works for all sorts of music.

I'd say the Planar resolves better there. The Zeus has more presence and clarity in the vocal regions than the Planar's stock tonality, but the Planar still manages to have better texture and detail with the vocals. And that imaging presentation is pretty unique, I've heard very few headphones that can precisely place vocals like the Planar does.
Thanks for further commenting!
How do you find the comfort between them? It seems the Planar has more shallow earpads which may be a problem for me, as my ears aren't particularly flat. It might also be difficult to find suitable replacements. Any hotspots on the top of your head? The R70X is supremely light and strangely enough, I don't mind the earpads despite being small, since the headband can easily be bent to adjust pressure

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,337 of 1,500
How do you find the comfort between them? It seems the Planar has more shallow earpads which may be a problem for me, as my ears aren't particularly flat. It might also be difficult to find suitable replacements. Any hotspots on the top of your head? The R70X is supremely light and strangely enough, I don't mind the earpads despite being small, since the headband can easily be bent to adjust pressure
The planars have decently deep earpads, but the foam compresses a lot so you may feel your ears contacting the interior.
Hotspots? Yes, there is a fat hotspot on the band, once you notice it it's really annoying. You'll probably need to get extra padding for it for maximum comfort

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #1,338 of 1,500

Compared to the R70X, I loved the R70X in terms of comfort because of how light it was. However, I ultimately had to let go of it because the pads were just too small and shallow for my ears (I REALLY wish Audio Technica would use roomier ear pads so I can finally keep one of their headphones lol). The Planar's pads are better in terms of fit for me. But I agree with what the other commenter said, while the pads are decently roomy inside, they also feel more shallow than they look due to the compression. Clamp force isn't super tight though, it's about average imo.

In terms of hotspots, there is a mild one in the center of the head. It's within tolerable levels for me because the headband strap is quite wide so the hotspot isn't as focused as some other headphones. The bigger issue for me is the weight and the self-adjusting headband.

I really wish they'd just gone with a regular headband or even a suspension strap. Self-adjusting headbands are okay with lighter headphones, but the Avantone is quite heavy and all the weight is in the cups. Again, the hotspot isn't as intense as it could be because the headband strap is quite wide. But it feels like all the weight is being distributed to the top of my head.

But instead of just hanging down and letting my ears take some of the weight too like with a regular headband, the self-adjusting mechanism makes it feel like there's someone sitting on my head and pulling the cups up from my ears at the same time. So I get this kind of annoying feeling where I want to pull the headphones down more, but the headband won't let me lol.

I can get it to a spot where it's not as annoying with some adjustment, since the cups do swivel horizontally a little and the strap is wide enough to go on different parts of my head. But it's more finicky than the R70X, which I could just put on and listen to.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #1,339 of 1,500
Compared to the R70X, I loved the R70X in terms of comfort because of how light it was. However, I ultimately had to let go of it because the pads were just too small and shallow for my ears (I REALLY wish Audio Technica would use roomier ear pads so I can finally keep one of their headphones lol). The Planar's pads are better in terms of fit for me. But I agree with what the other commenter said, while the pads are decently roomy inside, they also feel more shallow than they look due to the compression. Clamp force isn't super tight though, it's about average imo.

In terms of hotspots, there is a mild one in the center of the head. It's within tolerable levels for me because the headband strap is quite wide so the hotspot isn't as focused as some other headphones. The bigger issue for me is the weight and the self-adjusting headband.

I really wish they'd just gone with a regular headband or even a suspension strap. Self-adjusting headbands are okay with lighter headphones, but the Avantone is quite heavy and all the weight is in the cups. Again, the hotspot isn't as intense as it could be because the headband strap is quite wide. But it feels like all the weight is being distributed to the top of my head.

But instead of just hanging down and letting my ears take some of the weight too like with a regular headband, the self-adjusting mechanism makes it feel like there's someone sitting on my head and pulling the cups up from my ears at the same time. So I get this kind of annoying feeling where I want to pull the headphones down more, but the headband won't let me lol.

I can get it to a spot where it's not as annoying with some adjustment, since the cups do swivel horizontally a little and the strap is wide enough to go on different parts of my head. But it's more finicky than the R70X, which I could just put on and listen to.
Lol, that sounds like a nightmare design choice :O

At any rate, I actually decided to give the Zeus a try first; there was a near mint pair for just over 200USD shipped, which is quite a bit cheaper than the Planar.
Also scouting some of the threads, it seems like the Avantone is not exactly spotless regarding QC issues. They did fix the headband snapping so that is great, but seems like there are occasional mistuned and missmatched drivers. Now that is all to be expected but it seems the Zeus is the safer choice to try first.

One thing I am also not sure is the soundstage; for some reason, I've experienced funny soundstage shapes and imaging with oval shaped headphones / earrpads. It might feel more speaker like for all I know, but I did not quite like the way it projects things and have determined that round driver designs (or at the very least, round pads) work morre consistently. From the ovals, the Audeze worked well, but the oval Hifimans, not so much. Some folkds have described the Planar soundstage as well imagined, but narrow and that is likely what I'd experience myself, given the compression of the pads and lack of a distance from the driver. The Zeus will also let me roll earpadd which I enjoy trying from time to time, whereas with the Planar, if the particular pad does not work for me, or my ear ends up touching the driver, the comfort and overall soundstage would suffer.

That said, I'd definitely love to hear the Planar in the near future and might just give it a shot, certainly if the Zeus fails to impress. I can't really own three headphones at a time though, because current budget does not allow. The R70X is a keeper for now.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #1,340 of 1,500
Search for my post earlier on this thread. I got custom Earpads+ZMF copilot

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #1,341 of 1,500
Aug 9, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #1,343 of 1,500
I remember that post. I'll consider it if I buy these
If you don't want to spend that much on the ZMF Copilot, you can get this which is much cheaper and really does the job. I got it and it makes the Planar very comfortable.

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #1,344 of 1,500
If you don't want to spend that much on the ZMF Copilot, you can get this which is much cheaper and really does the job. I got it and it makes the Planar very comfortable.
I actually have these Dekoni Nuggets. They should work well too
Dekoni Audio Nuggets Headphones Headband Pressure Relief Pad, 4 Pack (Black) https://a.co/d/89Cxcy0

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #1,345 of 1,500
It's funny. After listening today, my ears hurt a bit from the R7OX. Looks like you were right after all.
And so now I am returning them. The Zeus is coming soon and perhaps the Planar after that to compare

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #1,346 of 1,500
I have thought that the Avantone could play too dark or undetailed. In fact, I miss nothing.

What I find interesting is that the dark timbre in the slightly emphasized midrange continues into the treble, while there is much energy in the upper mids / lower treble right before the roll off. Often a headphone can be described as overall "smooth" or "laidback". Not in the case of the Planar. Acoustic instruments (the energy of trumpets, the decay of cymbals for example) are presented as realistic and alive as it is right. No artificial colorations, unnatural accentuation or veiled transients - that's how I imagine an *insert any instrument* and that's how it sounds in real life and with the Planar. Outstanding timbre.

LCD-2 Classic and Nighthawk are tonally similar here, but they're not enough for me; it seems bloated (especially the Nighthawk), slightly dull and doesn't engage me. The Avantone is some hybrid of neutral and dark, depending on which frequency range you look at - insanely exciting! It just reminded me a lot of an LCD-X, but the LCD-X's soundstage was larger and generally more detailed.

The soundstage of the Planar is truly claustrophobic, smaller than any Grados, than an AKG K240 Sextett and Sennheiser HD650. The instruments stick around the head, it's frightening. To visualize it: Each instrument is illuminated from above with a small lamp, in a clearly outlined small "acoustic light cone" there is a limited spatiality with all the important details. These cones of light are strongly separated from each other and are placed all around you. In between these cones: Nothing, just quiet dark. This is amazing and very special imaging and locating. Only the mono / center is a bit neglected, which is complicated in the studio.

I see no need to change anything with an EQ here, an incredibly pleasant sound. The only thing that bothers me is the wearing comfort, so after 15 minutes I get a pressure point on the top of my head, which has led to a headache all day. I will install a ZMF Co-Pilot pad.

PXL_20220826_0034103702.jpg

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,347 of 1,500
Great to hear. I should hopefully get my pair soon. I have the Dekoni Nuggets which should work if needed

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #1,348 of 1,500
I have now temporarily mounted a thin 1 cm thick Basotect plate underneath the suspension headband, which I had left over from absorber build. This already provides a super wearing comfort, but looks poor. In addition to that I have the impression that the left lower corner of the headphones hangs in the air because of my head. It's still a bit weird and even if it looks cool, a circle or an oval is still the most optimal.

The Dekoni Nuggets I ordered out of interest, am curious how that behaves when putting on. Otherwise I'll have something personalized tailored.

By the way, a frequency response measurement confirmed a slow bass rolloff under 60 Hz, but some seem to think that's bad - Personally I don't see relevance in music below 40 Hz. I tried a highshelf at 1.4 kHz, but I felt that was too much, more like 2 db, but then I can turn it off and enjoy the characteristic Avantone intended. Interestingly, when listening more closely, the details are there even without EQ, just a bit quieter - which I find nice, because they are not veiled, really just quieter.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #1,349 of 1,500
Dekoni Nuggets have arrived, however, this concept is not understandable to me. The pads are way too deep and simply provide four stress points where before there was only a single one in the middle. Makes no sense to me, they should just release a headband. The headphones push up all the time, not the best comfort.

Instead, I came across aftermarket straps from Sennheiser yesterday, so for the HD515. These make much more sense to me and were attached in the headband and are also comfortable. Absolutely important: This step is irreparable, you can not undo it. At Avantone, scenery construction rules, so this is cheap protein leather glued to (probably cardboard) with the worst glue I've ever experienced. Even adhesive strips from my temporary mod stretched the leather and glue, which was recoverable. That Avantone leaves obvious comfort problems to the customer is also not understandable.

PXL_20220830_160340210.jpg

PXL_20220830_162009500.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #1,350 of 1,500
Dekoni Nuggets have arrived, however, this concept is not understandable to me. The pads are way too deep and simply provide four stress points where before there was only a single one in the middle. Makes no sense to me, they should just release a headband. The headphones push up all the time, not the best comfort.

Instead, I came across aftermarket straps from Sennheiser yesterday, so for the HD515. These make much more sense to me and were attached in the headband and are also comfortable. Absolutely important: This step is irreparable, you can not undo it. At Avantone, scenery construction rules, so this is cheap protein leather glued to (probably cardboard) with the worst glue I've ever experienced. Even adhesive strips from my temporary mod stretched the leather and glue, which was recoverable. That Avantone leaves obvious comfort problems to the customer is also not understandable.

PXL_20220830_160340210.jpg
PXL_20220830_162009500.jpg
That's unfortunate to hear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back