Awkward closed back requirements.
Feb 2, 2022 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nortoncertifiedunit

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, thanks for any help in advance.

My desires are as follows:
> Precise imaging and detail. (I spend most of my time listening to soundtracks: Inception, Interstellar, The Last of Us, you name it. These will also be used extensively for competitive games.)
> Comfort for multiple hours of daily use.
> Closed back.
> Comfortable paying around 300gbp, but could stretch that if better value is found a little higher.

It may be of note that I currently intend to run these through an Astro Mixamp Pro TR (likely a disgraceful choice, sorry).

On my radar currently are SRH1540s, DT 700 Pro x, DT770 80ohm. Perhaps Focal Elegia if they're much much better than those other options. How would these compare? I am of course open to other suggestions too.

Feb 2, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 16
Taking a guess a mic is necessary, right? If so, are you opposed to standalone/desktop mics? Or would it have to be wired or part of the headphones?

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 16
Focals are kinda heavy. I wouldn't use those for hours of daily use.
All the Focals I heard had very similar staging to the Senn HD600/650, so they probably wouldn't be ideal for gaming anyway.

My vote goes for Beyer DT770 Pro 80.
Personally, I would only stretch the budget for a DT1770 Pro.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 16
You might be able to find a used DCA Aeon closed for near your price point. Extremely comfortable with fantastic staging and tonality. Bass is kinda weak though.

The issue then becomes can your Astro drive it properly? I have the Astro Mixamp Pro 2013. It isnt strong enough to drive the AKG K701, so I bi-amp it with a Schiit Magni 2. It passes through the 7.1 sound and the Magni drives the K701.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 16
I use the Beyerdynamic MMX300 and really like them. 32ohm and easy to drive, plus the mic is really good. On eBay you can often find them at a substantial discount.
Just as an alternate data point, I hate the MMX300 gen 2. People complain about the audio, I just hate everything about it. If somebody I trust hadn't recommended the DT1770s when I was looking for a closed pair of headphones for music, the MMX300 would have been the last Beyers I ever bought.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 16
Taking a guess a mic is necessary, right? If so, are you opposed to standalone/desktop mics? Or would it have to be wired or part of the headphones? I already have a standalone microphone of good quality. This is purely audio.

My bad, I should've specified. I already have a standalone microphone of good quality. For this reason I believe I'm far better off getting a proper pair of headphones.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Focals are kinda heavy. I wouldn't use those for hours of daily use.
All the Focals I heard had very similar staging to the Senn HD600/650, so they probably wouldn't be ideal for gaming anyway.

My vote goes for Beyer DT770 Pro 80.
Personally, I would only stretch the budget for a DT1770 Pro.

My understanding of the DT1770 from reviews is that it should only be purchased if looking for bass - not me. How do your impressions compare? They are on offer where I am, but I'd imagine I'd need an amp too. Are the 700 Pro X not at all a comparable middle ground?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 16
You might be able to find a used DCA Aeon closed for near your price point. Extremely comfortable with fantastic staging and tonality. Bass is kinda weak though.

The issue then becomes can your Astro drive it properly? I have the Astro Mixamp Pro 2013. It isnt strong enough to drive the AKG K701, so I bi-amp it with a Schiit Magni 2. It passes through the 7.1 sound and the Magni drives the K701.
Currently no refurb/used models below 700. Your description leads me to believe they might be a perfect match though, so I'll keep a lookout. There is a 'closed RT' available for 500 - how would this headphone compare?

Also, from your findings, would it be fair to say the mixamp is a good enough DAC, but not AMP? I gather any planar option needs more juice.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 16
Just as an alternate data point, I hate the MMX300 gen 2. People complain about the audio, I just hate everything about it. If somebody I trust hadn't recommended the DT1770s when I was looking for a closed pair of headphones for music, the MMX300 would have been the last Beyers I ever bought.
Another DT1770 recommendation it seems. I've similar curiosities: my understanding of the DT1770 from reviews is that it should only be purchased if looking for bass - not me. How do your impressions compare? They are on offer where I am, but I'd imagine I'd need an amp too. Are the 700 Pro X not at all a comparable middle ground?

Feb 2, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 16
Currently no refurb/used models below 700. Your description leads me to believe they might be a perfect match though, so I'll keep a lookout. There is a 'closed RT' available for 500 - how would this headphone compare?

Also, from your findings, would it be fair to say the mixamp is a good enough DAC, but not AMP? I gather any planar option needs more juice.
I would keep an eye on the classifieds here. One just sold in December for 350 usd.

Regarding the DAC, I mean if thats all you have, thats all you have. I like it for gaming, but I have a seperate system for music.

The AFC isnt "hard" to drive, but I would imagine it will need more than what the Astro can handle effectively, and yes, the same can be said for most other planar headphones out there.

EDIT: To be clear, im speaking about the Aeon flow closed 1, not the 2, which I have not heard.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 16
My understanding of the DT1770 from reviews is that it should only be purchased if looking for bass - not me. How do your impressions compare? They are on offer where I am, but I'd imagine I'd need an amp too. Are the 700 Pro X not at all a comparable middle ground?
It's impossible to know if it's too much or too little bass for you.
There are some people who consider the DT770 Pro 80 a 'basshead headphone' and others just find it 'treble peaky', since it's got a v-shaped tuning.
The DT1770 differs in that it has more sub-bass, which in my opinion, is good for soundtracks, movies and gaming.

I havn't heard the 700 Pro X, so I can't comment on that.

Feb 3, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 16
Another DT1770 recommendation it seems. I've similar curiosities: my understanding of the DT1770 from reviews is that it should only be purchased if looking for bass - not me. How do your impressions compare? They are on offer where I am, but I'd imagine I'd need an amp too. Are the 700 Pro X not at all a comparable middle ground?
The DT1770 was suggested to me by somebody in the amplifier business who I trust. I had concerns about V signature and too much bass, neither of which I wanted. He said that the DT1770s are neutral. I know there are many posts that the DT1770s are a basshead can and I think they can deliver the bass when needed, but despite my concerns I took a chance and I think these are a very nice closed set for the price without any sonic imbalance. Yes, the 250 ohm Beyers and 300 ohm Sennheisers can get loud enough but they sound thin and lifeless without enough voltage, you need a good amp.

I see a lot of people posting strong opinions on gear they don't own and parroting what they read and that problem has gotten worse here in the last few years. You can definitely trust guys like @Monsterzero @GREQ and there are others. But before you get too worried, make sure some random guy making bold statements actually owns the component he is talking about.

I also have not heard the 700 Pro X. I usually stay away from trendy products and try to stay with old skool gear.

Feb 3, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 16
This is reassuring for the 1770. I'd like to try to reconcile some of the perspectives, so wonder if have you tried any of the Dan Clark options people are suggesting? I can get AEON flow closed at something of a bargain currently bringing them a few steps below the 1770s for price. I also find it strange that the Shure 1540 really catch my eye, but apparently noone elses, perhaps for good reason!?

Thanks for enduring my rambled stream of consciousness.

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 16
No, I have never heard the Aeons. I remember Tyll said the Aeon flow open was romantic. I don't know how much they have been changed since they rebadged to Dan Clark, but it might be worth searching for Tyll's old reviews from innerfidelity days. And of course check the headphone subforum here for threads on any models of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back