Back to the source.. Nagra III, Beyer DT 48
Feb 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

elharvo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I've been using phones for digital only for the most part. I find the surface noise on vinyl just too intrusive, although on my main system, I only listen to vinyl.... But recently I got into tape! I find 4 track and 2 track tape to be the most pleasing source yet, via speakers or headphones.
As usual, I got in over my head, and now have 8 tape machines (down from 12) the most recent being the Nagra III, which came with these funny, ineffective  looking gogs, the Beyer DT 48s.. I had to admit, they sure were well made! 
 After research I found that they have a well earned and established reputation.
 They needed a bit of a rewire, and new terminations, and I've been fooling around with them a bit.
The cups were completely rotted out, so I removed them. After fussing with them a bit, I made cables for the little Nagra and popped it in my main rig.
I find it's performance superior to any of my other machines... even though it is  full track mono, the fidelity is out of this world.
I've been making dubs of my rare 4 tracks, and they are more enjoyable than the four tracks themselves! I am sure this is due to the native repro electronics on the respective decks.
 Anyways, I just wanted to chime in..
Anyone else digging tape?
Harv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back