Backup Help
Jan 7, 2006 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sahwnfras

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, Im in need of backing up my music collection on my computer. I have about 35 gigs of music i would like to back up. What is the best way to do this, DVDs? Programs? Extra hard drive. Im not sure where to start. I have tried to used DVD but i was haveing problems burning, and then i gave up. I would like to do this, but what is the best program to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and other ideas are welcome.

Jan 8, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 9
With that much space i would say a second hard drive will be your best option.Of course in the future with blu ray drives you will have that kind of storage space since backing up in more ways than once is best.

What problems exactly in the burning process with DVD's did you actually have?

Jan 8, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 9
With burning DVDs, iv jsut had a hard time finding a good program. Nero doesent work on my comp (some problems with that). And iv tried soem others but none of them have worked well.

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 9
I back up on a seperate hard drive and on to a DVD as well. I've had hard drives taken out by close lightning strikes before and was lucky that I had the DVDs to restore the data.

I'm not sure why Nero won't work on your computer. You might need an ASPI layer, but I would think that Nero should have installed one automatically. Personally, I like Nero but there's lots of other burning programs you can use.

Windows XP even has built-in burning capability. Just select all the files, right click and select "send to" and then choose the drive that's your burner. It's not the cleanest user interface in the world, but it works.

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 9
Well the problem with nero is that, it was on the comp when we got it. Then it got unistalled. But now when i try to install another one, it comes up with some error. Iv checked my comp and cant find any nero programs or anything, so i gave up on it. If you know another program that i can use that is simple to use please tell me.

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 9
Are you saying it gives you an error of some kind during the burning process?

Have you tried some of the free or trial software from download.com?

Jan 8, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 9
For Windows you can use DeepBurner or CDBurnerXP to burn DVD's. I would suggest you get something like QuickPar and generate parity files for all your music. Takes more time and space, but provides good data insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back