Bagaholics Anonymous

Do bags or cases for your rig matter?

• "I use a brown paper bag. 'Nuff said."

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • "I only use custom case made from the skin of rare animals."

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • "What case?"

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • "My butler carries my headphones and DAP in a limited edition branded suitcase."

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • "Finding a case for my EDC is as enjoyable as searching for the next piece of audio gear."

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Jun 12, 2018 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Quasimodosbelfry

500+ Head-Fier
I'm Quasimodo and I'm a bagaholic.
Been one for years. I'm drawn to bags, pouches and cases. I own far too much tactical gear and was putting together bugout bags and EDC kits before Instagram and Twitter. I own too much 1000D Cordura than should be healthy and my current favourite material is leather. And obviously, with audio gear I'm equally obsessed with how to carry the lot.

I've looked for threads that deal with this but they're either way too short or way too old. So instead of reviving a super old thread, I'm starting my own. I promise to post pics of my gear and how I lug them around, along with some info about how and where I got them so others can benefit. And if I see anyone else with anything that might be interesting, I'll post it here too.

I'll also post pics and info about bags, pouches and cases that I come across online so we may have a repository of references at some point. And please do post how you carry your rig(s) around, with pictures!

So if you're a bagaholic, this thread's for you.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 42
FD75E9D6-FA94-457C-82A9-9CD8F9D1D103.jpeg

87E7F74D-AB98-42B0-9136-93CDEB4F164F.jpeg

OK, this is my current EDC. A Gregory M-sized pouch with a leather key loop from Herz to hang the pouch off my belt or bag.
Works well, has minimal padding and the complete pouch with zip seals the DAP against the elements.
Internally, it's got a small mesh pocket for IEMs or a small microfiber cloth.
The back has Velcro straps to allow for attachment to the sling of a larger bag.

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 42
E4A83DE2-8EA2-4D32-8281-7175A3395BF2.jpeg
3D32753E-C32E-40E8-845E-21E2B39255F4.jpeg

This is a gorgeous sheepskin leather pouch from Porter that I picked up, for carrying my headphones in my backpack or tote. Limited production run and available only at certain stores in Tokyo. Luxuriously soft and just feels fantastic. Not padded so only offers protection against light bumps and scratches. The inside is lined with a silk-like polyester material, I think. Drawstring is a kind of waxed flat cord with aglets at the end, like a shoelace.
Presentable enough to stash your gear into when you're just out for an afternoon in town.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 42
First up, VanNuys headphone pouch. Unpadded but fits even my HD800 fine. It's sturdy and makes walking around for a day out with my cans very easy; this way I don't need to wear them around my head all the time and they're protected from scratches. More structure than a thin bag but less bulky than a hard case.
The brown leather strap is my own addition from my other hobby in leathercraft.
IMG_4701.JPG
IMG_4702.JPG

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 42
This handy carry pouch is from VanNuys, in collaboration with Dita. The paracord makes it very easy to hang from bag straps and even the belt loops of my jeans.

The front panel is leather with a fold that helps give the edge some structure. Very easy to pop the IEMs in and take them out. Beats having them in my pocket and had them detach from the cable and potentially bending the 2-pin connectors.

IMG_4703.JPG
IMG_4706.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #8 of 42
IMG_4186.jpg

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 42
VanNuys case for the Sony NW-WM1 series of DAP. Quite clever, really. It's not truly a pouch in that it's two padded Cordura panels held together by velcroed straps on either side and a leather base.
This allows access to the button without needing to remove the player. And the leather base has cut-outs for the charging cable. It's really more like a tough wrap than a pouch but it's very secure and great for hanging from your bag or a belt.

The leather hanger is from another Japanese brand, Herz, which hand makes really awesome leather goods. Will start adding/replacing bits with brown matching leather over time to personalise it.

IMG_4710.JPG
IMG_4711.JPG
IMG_4713.JPG

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 42
F432D3EC-8FD1-4393-88F4-27C8AE38C16F.jpeg
59628B30-5998-4877-BD85-4BE9D0E46B14.jpeg

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #14 of 42
Posted elsewhere that I'm a fan of Dignis cases for my WM1A. These two cases are part of a story:

Got the case on the left just about a month ago. But in the last month realised there was a slight manufacturing defect. Sent an email off to Dignis and got a response from the CEO himself, Jisoo, on the same day!

In a lengthy email, which was incredibly polite, he expressed great concern about the defect. On the same day, he shipped out a brand new replacement, the case on the right, and sent me several emails confirming the shipment.

I subsequently communicated with him that the colours didn't match and he again took great lengths to explain to me that because of the sources and processing of the leather, colours would differ somewhat between cases. Regardless, I love both of these cases.

So much so, I went and bought their limited Walkman edition case in blue.

Honestly, this decision was made because of the stellar service I received! Bravo to Dignis!!

IMG_4714.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back