Balanced DAC help
Jul 4, 2017 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Old Dirty Puppy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my DAC and would like some help with suggestions. I would like to get a balanced DAC and run balanced XLR into my amp. Unfortunately I haven't seen many DAC options under 500 USD. So far two possible contenders that I have been looking at are the Little Dot DAC and the Emotiva Stealth DC-1. Do you guys have any other recommendations for possible contenders?
On a side note I've as been considering getting a Schiit multibit DAC, maybe a Bifrost multibit. In your opinion is Schiit multibit architecture worth it over traditional Delta Sigma DACs?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 10
From what I know, Multibit is physically superior to delta-sigma. That being said, I've also had people compare a Bifrost Multibit to a Modi 2 Multibit and couldn't tell the difference. Honestly the Modi 2 Multibit is probably the best DAC you'll need or find under $500. I like the idea of having a Schiit stack where both components are the same size, but the Mimby beats the Bimby just for sheer price to performance ratio. I don't know much about any good balanced dac's (I ordered the Jotunheim with balanced dac module) but I just wanted to explain how similar in sound the Modi and Bifrost sound with Multibit. The only reason I could see for buying the Bifrost Multibit is A) because it is the same size as your amp and won't look awkwardly small, and B) Perhaps you prefer the inputs/outputs that it offers. But I don't even know if it has any more I/O than the Mimby

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 10
I myself like the multibit over others. You would have to go Gumby to get balanced outs though but I haven't found too big of a increase over single ended myself. I use balanced to my Liquid Carbon just because I have three to four amps hooked up to my Yggy at any one time.

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 10
From what I know, Multibit is physically superior to delta-sigma. That being said, I've also had people compare a Bifrost Multibit to a Modi 2 Multibit and couldn't tell the difference. Honestly the Modi 2 Multibit is probably the best DAC you'll need or find under $500. I like the idea of having a Schiit stack where both components are the same size, but the Mimby beats the Bimby just for sheer price to performance ratio. I don't know much about any good balanced dac's (I ordered the Jotunheim with balanced dac module) but I just wanted to explain how similar in sound the Modi and Bifrost sound with Multibit. The only reason I could see for buying the Bifrost Multibit is A) because it is the same size as your amp and won't look awkwardly small, and B) Perhaps you prefer the inputs/outputs that it offers. But I don't even know if it has any more I/O than the Mimby
Awesome, I might consider a Modi multibit instead of the Bifrost multibit if there really isn't much of a difference in quality of sound. I also have a Jotunhiem but without a DAC module. I was considering getting the DAC module for my Jotunhiem but I rather have a dedicated DAC separate from the amps.

I myself like the multibit over others. You would have to go Gumby to get balanced outs though but I haven't found too big of a increase over single ended myself. I use balanced to my Liquid Carbon just because I have three to four amps hooked up to my Yggy at any one time.
I would love to get a Gumby but at 1200 usd that a little more than what I would like to pay for a DAC. Also that thing is huge, not sure how I would be able to fit it into my desktop setup.

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 10
I feel you, I was considering just keeping my Modi 2 Uber for the Jot but since I can sell the Uber for at least $100 and the Jot dac module (which is essentially a balanced Modi 2) is also $100, I find it worth it for me to get the combo. Honestly a Multibit dac like the Mimby pairs well with the Jot even though it isn't fully balanced. The sheer power output through the XLR on the Jot is the biggest reason to use it, having a SE dac isn't really even a drawback if it's a good one

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 10
I've heard many people say the Mimby is as good as the Bimby idk as I have heard all the Schiit multibits I have not a/b'ed them though. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. The only strike against the Mimby is that it is not upgradable like the others. This is probably not a problem as I don't see them changing this anytime soon just something to put out there.

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 10
I feel you, I was considering just keeping my Modi 2 Uber for the Jot but since I can sell the Uber for at least $100 and the Jot dac module (which is essentially a balanced Modi 2) is also $100, I find it worth it for me to get the combo. Honestly a Multibit dac like the Mimby pairs well with the Jot even though it isn't fully balanced. The sheer power output through the XLR on the Jot is the biggest reason to use it, having a SE dac isn't really even a drawback if it's a good one

Yeah, a balanced DAC might not be much of an upgrade over a good SE amp but I still want one. It's that audiophile curse. I'll probably end up with 2 DACs in the end, a multibit and a balanced DAC.

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, a balanced DAC might not be much of an upgrade over a good SE amp but I still want one. It's that audiophile curse. I'll probably end up with 2 DACs in the end, a multibit and a balanced DAC.

That may happen to me too haha. The way I see it, the Jot balanced DAC is basically 2 mono Modi 2 DACs which is plenty. Then I can always get a Mimby and a Valhalla 2 or something when/if I want to squeeze some new sound out of my 650's. I'm trying so hard to end my headphone journey at the 650 and just build a system around them, but we all know how that ends up :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back