Bang for the buck ESW10JPN recable
May 8, 2010 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm having problems with my left channel coming in and out when I move the cable, so I'm looking for a recabling option. Any ideas for a bang-for-the-buck recable for a cable sceptic? ALO seems crazy steep. APureSound's alright at US$180, and then there's Null Audio Studio doing one for SG$106. Thoughts?

May 8, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 9
I had APureSound recable an ESW9 with V3 a couple of years ago and much liked the improvements to the sound. With the stock cable I often encountered a strange reverb like being inside an iron cauldron when somebody would strike it. Also the recable seemed to firm the bass up. However that was for a travel rig where cable flexibility isn't such a big issue as the V3 isn't the most flexible cable in the world (not that stiff either though).

May 8, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 9
The APS V3 is too large for portable headphones IMO.  I'd go with Null Audio simply because it's designed for portability.

May 8, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Yes for pure protable use I wouldn't go V3 (unfortunately V2 is no longer available and as far as I know the portable cable isn't either) but I used mine as travel phones for the rig that got set up in the hotel room and for that it was great.

May 9, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 9
i'm looking at the Vocalist from Plexcio Acoustics. The company is based in Singapore.

http://plexcio.wordpress.com/products/re-cable/

it's a bit hard to find reviews though...

May 9, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 9
You could always DIY and save some money.

May 9, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 9
I've been looking for the same and asked about it in this thread. Although nobody could give me a direct answer to my question I have received some offers from other head-fi members who could do it for me for a better price than APS or ALO. I haven't sent my ESW10 to any of them yet, but may very well do this very soon. PM me if you need more information. 
Another option is to search for an authorized Audio-Technica reseller in your country and ask them if they can help you. I emailed the dutch reseller Friday and they would check what they can do for me. 

BTW, why the hell did APS discontinue their recabling service for portable headphones? The only option left for a simple 4' recable of my ESW10 would cost me $200 (not including overseas shipping), which I find way too steep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back