Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Dec 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #241 of 2,875

I liked your review thanks, notice the H6 got a conderable higher score overall than the NAD.

I trust it scales well with equipment?

And finally some people talk of it needing an amp with a portable player, or is this just the bass they are complaining about.
Regards

Thanks! 

Yes, I rated the H6 to have overall, a higher score as the H6 is a better all rounder than the NAD. The NAD wasn't comfortable to wear nor is the build quality promising. 

As for amplifing, the H6 will benefit from one but does not really need one. It improves overall refinement, clarity, and depending on which amplifier, the bass will also improve in both quantity as well as quality. 

hope it helps
Billson 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #242 of 2,875
I just opened mine an hour ago.
I can hear down to 20hz no problem on them =)

Cable is terrible. Sound cracks when you put the connector in to whatever source.. it's the terribad plating on the mini jacks. I never had an issue with TRRS jacks not working in my 6 foot Beyerdynamic extension before... I actually had to jerry rig some adapters together to get consistent sound (Mini to 1/4 -> 1/4 to mini -> Short TRRS extension). I'm not too concerned as I got these for my iPhone/portable where the fit is fine however I still want to put 100~150 hours burn in from my desktop ASAP, hence the jerry rig lol.

The Moto X is my alarm clock, don't watch that!

I'll be keeping these lovely sounding headphones for my EDM addiction. The bass/sub bass layering sends shivers down my spine, goosebumps and such. My Xonar STX seems to pair very well with it on low gain.

Will do some comparisons with ATH-MSR7 once those become available locally.

Listen to this song with your H6 and tell me they don't have enough bass/sub bass:

Go.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #245 of 2,875
  I just opened mine an hour ago.
I can hear down to 20hz no problem on them =)

Cable is terrible. Sound cracks when you put the connector in to whatever source.. it's the terribad plating on the mini jacks. I never had an issue with TRRS jacks not working in my 6 foot Beyerdynamic extension before... I actually had to jerry rig some adapters together to get consistent sound (Mini to 1/4 -> 1/4 to mini -> Short TRRS extension). I'm not too concerned as I got these for my iPhone/portable where the fit is fine however I still want to put 100~150 hours burn in from my desktop ASAP, hence the jerry rig lol.

The Moto X is my alarm clock, don't watch that!

I'll be keeping these lovely sounding headphones for my EDM addiction. The bass/sub bass layering sends shivers down my spine, goosebumps and such. My Xonar STX seems to pair very well with it on low gain.

Will do some comparisons with ATH-MSR7 once those become available locally.

Listen to this song with your H6 and tell me they don't have enough bass/sub bass:

Go.

Glad you're enjoying your new headphones. Personally I thought they got even better with a bit of burn-in/usage
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #246 of 2,875
Anyone find themselves losing the seal when moving their jaw with these? Drinking or taking a drag from a cigarette = guaranteed seal loss until I halt that activity after which it reverts back to normal. I can tell as the bass disappears when seal is lost, as with all closed back headphones. I don't have this issue with my other headphones

Mine are brand new maybe the cups and swivel need to wear in. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #247 of 2,875
Never lost the seal.

Also I don't believe "burn in" made an audible difference to these headphones (or any hradphone, speakers, cables or any other component in the listening chain).

Mind you after my printer and coffee machine went through a "burn in" period I felt the printer was able to make more real print. My coffee was much more deep with flavor.

You should see how well my vacuum sucks after a month of burn in. It's anazing.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #248 of 2,875
Anyone find themselves losing the seal when moving their jaw with these? Drinking or taking a drag from a cigarette = guaranteed seal loss until I halt that activity after which it reverts back to normal. I can tell as the bass disappears when seal is lost, as with all closed back headphones. I don't have this issue with my other headphones

Mine are brand new maybe the cups and swivel need to wear in. 

I think I had this issue before when I was sick and got really skinny as behind my ear there was a deep impression if I open my mouth. I think thats where the sound leaks out from. The H6 are just portable over ear headphoneand are not as huge as your other headphones as seen in your signature. In my experience, most portable over ear headphone have that issue.

Hope it explains
Billson :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #249 of 2,875
I think I had this issue before when I was sick and got really skinny as behind my ear there was a deep impression if I open my mouth. I think thats where the sound leaks out from. The H6 are just portable over ear headphoneand are not as huge as your other headphones as seen in your signature. In my experience, most portable over ear headphone have that issue.

Hope it explains
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I try and maintain low body fat so that is definitely the issue. However, the problem seems to be greatly reduced if I extend the headband a bit. Before I had it so the bottom of my medium sized ears are touching the pad so now it's more centered =)

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #250 of 2,875
Yeah I try and maintain low body fat so that is definitely the issue. However, the problem seems to be greatly reduced if I extend the headband a bit. Before I had it so the bottom of my medium sized ears are touching the pad so not it's more centered =)

Extending the headband will bring both earcups closer to each other. So when you wear it, the clamping force will naturally be invreased allowing a tighter seal. Anyway, glad that works for you!

Happy listening
Billson :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #251 of 2,875
I've had some more time to listen to these. As such the initial hype of first hearing them has somewhat dissipated.

It's impossible for me not to like these. Either my ears are getting used to the sound or the diaphragm is REALLY stiff out of the factory as the mid bass attack, decay as well as sub bass presence seems to improve around the 20hr burn-in mark. On first listen, frequencies below 40~35hz seemed to be overpowered by the mid bass when they hit at the same time however now they have balanced out somehow, as observed by listening to the same tracks I had the initial concern with. Or maybe I'm crazy. I'm good with either option!

More importantly... what's up with that soundstage? Let's get one thing straight: my open back HD700 runs circles around most mid tier closed backs, including the H6. However, noticing the rather small size of the H6 housing I had assumed these would have a minuscule sound stage which would make a disappearing act in noisy environments. In quiet environments I would rate soundstage a 7.5/10 in their PRICE BRACKET, 4.2/10 when compared to my recollection of hearing HD800/Stax 009, i.e still pretty decent and enjoyable for a portable. However on my 3 hour (total) daily commute to and from work I made sure to sit at the back of the bus where the engine is, to test their performance in said scenario. Let's just say I was very pleasantly surprised =) 

Isolation is not as terrible as I thought (7.1/10 with a proper seal) but sound leak is simply not an issue whatsoever on transit, as I initially feared. I can listen to music FULL blast and the person sitting beside me can kind of hear it. At my normal listening volume you have to be less than 10 inches from my head to hear my music faintly. My listening volume is in line with the average joe 20-30 year old; I have tested with a bunch of guys in the store when we daisy chained 2x H6's together and I asked people to let me hear their normal listening volume lol.

I had a preconception that B&O was just trying to cash in on the Beats crowd. I was rudely mistaken as these have turned out to have quite an interesting sonic tuning that is enjoyable to my ear.

They are not perfect however. I am noticing some inconsistencies in treble sparkle depending on frequency. Some sound amazing, and some sound ok. Will have to come back to this once my AK100 MKII is back from RMA as it has a better DAC and AMP than my Xonar STX sound card imo.

No point in mentioning the aesthetics and build construction as it's been covered a million times. You know the story :wink: 

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #252 of 2,875
Has anyone tried the H6 with a WA7? I was wondering if the tubes would help the anemic bass some people are experiencing with this headphone.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #253 of 2,875
Has anyone tried the H6 with a WA7? I was wondering if the tubes would help the anemic bass some people are experiencing with this headphone.

I'll try next time I'm at Headfoneshop. Perhaps later today... feel kind of iffy but I might mission it anyway. Wanna try the Sig. Pro

Like I said earlier, I'm a former basshead that still listens to 99% EDM (Trap, Dubstep, D&b) and I find the bass to be balanced. I straight out don't settle for sub par sub bass. Needless to say I love the H6

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #254 of 2,875

I have tried pairing my H6 with Garage1217 tube and it does bring back the loss bass... With the right tube.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #255 of 2,875
I'll try next time I'm at Headfoneshop. Perhaps later today... feel kind of iffy but I might mission it anyway. Wanna try the Sig. Pro

Like I said earlier, I'm a former basshead that still listens to 99% EDM (Trap, Dubstep, D&b) and I find the bass to be balanced. I straight out don't settle for sub par sub bass. Needless to say I love the H6

This is encouraging. Thank you for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back