Bass and MORE (looking for headphones)
Nov 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Walrus159

New Head-Fier
Hey guy I've been looking around at headphones and haven't found much of what I am looking for, head phones that deliver bass (I'm a BASS PHILE) and also good mids and highs, other then the Audio-Technica ATH-WS55BK Solid Bass. If there is a better fit for me, for under $100, I would love to know. I'm going to be doing mostly PC gaming and general music listening with the headphones, so nothing professional.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 12
PC gaming and want Bass... Not sure how that gels.. What titles specifically?

Under 100, there isn't much. At that point any 50mm driver will deliver plenty of bass, even the HTF-600s. However, I highly recommend the AudioTechnica AD700. They are bass light but are easily the best gaming headphones if you want to hear the game without massive amounts of mud being slopped into your ears.

Seriously though, at 100 you can't get kicking bass and mid-high response.

Whatever the most expensive sennheiser you can afford will give you a great bass response, but will drop resolution anywhere else. 

To be perfectly frank, if what you are looking for is something like the sound Beats gives you, then buy those.

I suppose the Custom One Pros are also a good bet, now that I spend more time thinking about it.

I'll repeat: The HTF-600 from panasonic are easily the best bet for what you are looking for. Regardless of price (sub 400 that is), however, for positional audio get the AD700, and if you must throw money away, get the Custom One Pro.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 12
If you can bring your price point up a bit, I'd say DT770 Pro 80s are literally the perfect fit in your situation. I've gamed with them for the better part of three years, and they're incredible when paired with a good sound card (auzentech x-fi forte here). On top of that, they have shake your brain bass, and the mids aren't recessed at all. I remember when I first purchased them to play Battlefield Bad Company 2. I was in a building that was taking shells from tanks and artillery. The explosions were so immersive, like deep thunder. I'll never forget that experience. To this day, they are by far my favorite headphones for gaming, and my bass needs.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 12
  If you can bring your price point up a bit, I'd say DT770 Pro 80s are literally the perfect fit in your situation.

This is also a good set. Though the price jump, and required source upgrade (onboard sound probably can't properly drive these) made me not mention them.

At under 100, you can't have the bass cake and eat the mid-treble with anything other than the semi-closed HTF600 (and maybe other Panasonic 50mm based units).

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 12
  How would the htf600s compair the the solid bass audio technica's? I see that the price is much lower the the solid bass headphones and that may be throwing me off.

If the WS55 didn't have enough bass for you I highly doubt the HTF600 is going to be any better. Look for a UE6000, they can be found for under $100

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 12
No I didn't say they don't have enough, I don't even have them I was just looking at them online. Right now I have a 75 watt 4 inch subwoofer and horrible smaller speakers that go with it. I would be using both the subwoofer and the headphones together, so I feel the bass of my desk shaking but I am also isolated from the sound of my computers fans.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 12
I haven't tried the solid bass ATs, but I'd describe the HTF as being accurate(at least as accurate as their design allows), responsive and deliciously playful. They have umph, but no brain crushing bass. They are priced (very) low and I can see how that might not be encouraging.

Basically:

Pros:
- Very fun Bass.
- Accurate Mid-High.
- Very Comfortable.
- Semi-Open design keeps sound clean.
- Wider sound stage than most sub-100 cans.

Cons:
- Fake leather pads can make you sweat.
- Semi open design leaks sound to outside (others can hear what you hear when playing loud).
- Relatively long break-in period (took mine 80 hours).
- Cable is a bit long.

However, at 30 bucks, they are basically worth buying just for giggles. I bought them because the reviews were surprisingly positive, and have since stopped using most of my headphones in favor of these because they are just, fun.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 12
I would be listening to mostly electronic music and to tell you the truth brain crushing bass sounds AWESOME but I don't want to sacrifice highs and mids so if that's what these deliver I will give them some thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back