Bass headphones under $100 (did research need help)
Nov 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

brainmonster

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of beyer dt250 and while the bass is great, detailed, and punchy, I find myself sometimes craving phones with more bass impact and quantity for movies and games. I've tried pumping up the bass but the results are not sufficient. Also the soundstage is a little lacking for games and i just want to try out a different sound signiature. Also I want to wow my friends who really can't appreciate the finer points of mid range and highs.

Warning, long post but please give it a read.

I want impact, not muddiness, and prefer to avoid harsh highs. Open or closed, but not an iem. Decent soundstage. Looks matter but willing to overlook for superb value. High build quality and long lasting a plus. Will be driven with a computer, and not other not high quality sources. prefer amping no more than a cmoy. Prefer a good value/cost phone under $100.

The mdr-v6 is close to what I want with bass, so it's a good reference. Bass impact is great, good rumble but not muddy. Wow factor is great. Soundstage is pretty good. But the fatiguing sharp highs give me a huge headache after extended listening. I prefer not to equalize and just plug and go.

Tried the ksc35 which is close to ksc75 and portapro and found bass too muddy and lacking impact. Detailing did not live up to the hype, at least for me.

Heard the following recommended for heavy bass -

Dbi pro 700 - seems like a good deal at $40 but looks butt ugly. But It may be good or what i want.

Sr60- from what i read bass is good but probably lacking quantity i'm looking for.

Denon 1000/1001 - havent heard much. Comments?

Akg k240 - they look cool? Lots of bass.

M50

A500 - good soundstage?

Hd212 - may be good but i heard they need eqing and may have harsh highs. But they are cheap and easy to get.

Dt770 - want try try a different brand than beyer this time eve n though these are superb.

Would appreciate your input, if you have any suggestions not on this list please let me know. Mostly having some trouble comparing these phones with each other. Again im looking for the kind of rumbling bass the v6 might give, which some might call bloated but can be enjoyable sometimes.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 7
I'd recommend Sony XB500 from what I read in your post, extremely easily driven (no amping necessary), there's LOTS of impact, such bass you really feel but for movies it's also good when it's capable to easily handle very deep bass and XB500 can go past hearing capabilities. It's also got very smooth highs that don't cause any ear-fatigue whatsoever. I'd definitely recommend EQing them for optimal result though (it's slightly too smooth sounding by default IMO). I sold both M50 and DT770 Pro/80 that looked most suitable in your list for you after I listened to Sony XB. M50 lacks a bit impact in the bass I think, DT770 has more impact but it's got quite harsh highs and the recessed mids also bothered me, M50 for me was slightly too harsh in the highs too. DT770 needs decent amping as well, M50 needs at least some kind of amping to sound great IMO.

Nov 4, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 7
XB700 has less impact than XB500, but the bass reaches lower and you can feel the presence really well. its like an ocean.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 7
Here my choices:
XB500
HARX700, have an appropriate amount of bass...you can make mods for improving soundstage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back