Battery powered amp for HD800
Apr 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stormfriend

100+ Head-Fier
Advice needed!

I'm in the process of going completely off the grid and my source is now sorted with the Chord Hugo.  However I find the Hugo lacks weight and feels a little strained when driving the HD800s directly and I much prefer the sound with my Mjolnir in the loop.  What I'm looking for therefore is something with similar characteristics to the Mjolnir (power, transparency and a sweet treble) but which runs off battery with a run-time of at least 6 hours, and preferably 8-12 hours.  It doesn't have to be portable, it just has to be off the grid.

I'm aware of the Bakoon HPA-21 and Red Wine Audio offerings, although I've not tried either of them yet.  Is there anything else that would compete head on with those?  I'd prefer sold state if possible and a battery system that looks after itself (constant trickle charge or auto-switching dual batteries) so long as it provides complete isolation from the mains.

Edit: The amp needs full size RCA inputs too, but doesn't need a volume control as the Hugo can handle that.  Ideally I'd be after a battery powered headphone power amp, but I'm not sure if they exist.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 9
I think your best bet is the Theorem 720.

http://www.cypherlabs.com/products/theorem-720-dac/

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't need a DAC as I have the Hugo, and despite the Theorem's amp being good I'd probably ignore something with redundant components in it (like an extra DAC) as I'd be paying for something I didn't need.  

I need full size RCA line level inputs on the amplifier too. I should have added that to my first post. :)

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 9
  ifi iCAN Nano?

Looks lovely and is absolutely perfect in form and function, but it's less powerful than the Hugo.  That doesn't necessarily mean it won't sound better, with the bass boost for example, but I'd prefer a kick-ass version of it on steroids if possible... I'll see if I can get a listen anyway as the price is great.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 9
I use a Duet, along with my AK-240, it really juices up the HD-800, try and demo one if you can.

That's even less powerful than the ifi, unless I'm missing something obvious?  I like the balanced output but I'd have to get one of my cables reterminated which counts against it.  I have the standard HD800 connector and 2x3pin xlr at the moment.

I realise there's more to it than power, but I can't think of any other reason why the Hugo would be lacking in the bass department on headphones when the RCA outputs into an amp sound correctly balanced.  They use the same output device and are just different sockets wired in parallel.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 9
  HPA-21 via voltage output is the best I've heard the HD800. The HPA-21 is actually an end-game amp for the Audeze, HD800 and TH900 IMO.

Yep, I have the horrible feeling I'll be forking out for the HPA-21...  I'd just like to make sure I've left no stone unturned before spending that much.  I've also read that the HPA-21 isn't that powerful, so I need to listen to it first after using the Mjolnir for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back