Beats - Pointing people in the right direction
Nov 20, 2012 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Omshallom

New Head-Fier
My take on Beats..................

so I've been reading the forums and Beats aren't getting much love, for many reasons mentioned in many threads, and justifiably so.?

A quick background

When I first started DJing, the only 2 headphones that other DJ's around me were using were the Technics, and Sony ( this was 10 years ago ), so I did some research and bought the Technics RP-DJ1210. At this time, I thought they were some of THE BEST headphones on the planet ^^. And for 10 years, I  thought they were some of THE BEST headphones around !!

Recently, needing a new pair of DJjing headphones, and also seeing the choices increase, I decided to Google best headphones, and landed here, to a world I thought did not exist. I was totally blown away to say the least. ( I did not end up buying new DJ headphones, instead bought Earsonic SM3, Audeze LCD-2, V-Moda M80 and a Dacmini , sound still plays through my Technics, they'll suffice, although I think I will try out the M80's next time  ) 

Back to the topic at hand.........

JUST LIKE I WAS,

I believe most of the Beats consumers do not know any better, they think they have a stylish, "top"  of the range headphone. But surely, all those Beats peoples are listening to music at a "better quality" than previously before? Their musical experience has increased somewhat I believe. Isn't that the point, for most of us, to listen to music at the highest quality we can ( with cost in mind for most of us ) ?
The Beats are surely a  stepping stone in the right direction, perhaps next time they are looking for a new pair of headphones, they will do what I did, and Google it, and stumble onto this website ^^

I saw Lebron James wearing Beats to a game ( on TV ) and I thought he must be wearing "the best headphones" available. This is what you are up against !!
( Again, this was before I found this place) 

You can't like or know about something that does not not exist to you. Trying to throw some positives around. 

Peace

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 6
Beats normally consists of 2 or 3 problems

their sound quality isn't that bad depending on the model, but its just...

1.Very terribly expensive. like X2-X4 what a competing company (like sennheiser, audio technica, beyerdynamic etc you get the point) with the kind of priced beats are sold at i could easily get a HD650.
2.Terrible ads. saying how they are being used in studios and recording studios (lol oops i said studios twice) and how they redefine sound with its cutting edge technology, not only its twisting words and missing information, but its core point of the message is a lie.
3.Rabid fanboys, these may or may not be a problem depending on person, but these fanboys can shunt your far superior headphones just because theirs has a 'b' stamped on it, gets really annoying.

though i think cause of this beats thing the world has more attention on headphones, though not directly to hifi, and many not making it to hifi ,instead just feeding their (or their parents) money into dr dre's overflowing pockets, and spreading the virus around
and if they do fight off the virus, they gain immunity and become a headfier
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 6
Whe all know around here that the Beats are way overpriced,  my $30 buck JVC S400 sounds better than a Beats Solo for sure, BUT i think the point is that, there is a lot of people that are getting interesed on headphones because of the Beats.

i am NOT saying there has never being people buying phones or that the Beats are the reason for all this phone crazynes, i am just saying there are new segment or people that have been atracted to this hobbie or wants to buy a headphone cause of the Beats, and there are a lot of people that have bought better phones than Beats because before they bought a heaphone, they searched first.

My newphew almost bought a pair of Beats Solos, just because they where Beats, so i lend him my Beats Pro and my JVC S500, now hes an owner of a pair of cheapos JVC's that sound better than Beats, JVC made a sale.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 6
There are a lot of hype going on for beats. Do they deserve the popularity and reputation ?
(epic fail)
Beats solo costs $160, and the $100 goes to the brand image whilst the remaining $60 to the sound.
Why do we buy headphones ?
Main purpose is to get good sound,not for the brand loyalty or image.

Dre beats stirred up sales mainly due to celebrity support, nothing else, I repeat nothing else.
Marketing Hype is the only key for beats becoming so popular.
Lets be economical, for that $160 we can surely buy 2 sets of equal or better sounding headphones.

If the Brand name matters so much,  buying genuine or fake beats doesn't make any difference to me as long as both of their labels are same.
Head-fi iem's main motive is to sell audiophile sound,
Beats motive is to sell its brand label.
See the difference ? Be a smart buyer instead of looking smart.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
When I first started DJing, the only 2 headphones that other DJ's around me were using were the Technics, and Sony ( this was 10 years ago ), so I did some research and bought the Technics RP-DJ1210. At this time, I thought they were some of THE BEST headphones on the planet ^^. And for 10 years, I  thought they were some of THE BEST headphones around !!

I saw Lebron James wearing Beats to a game ( on TV ) and I thought he must be wearing "the best headphones" available. This is what you are up against !!
( Again, this was before I found this place) 

My headphone of choice when I was DJ-ing, around the same time you did (around year 2000-ish) my headphone of choice was my trusty Sony MDR-V700, which back then I though was the best DJ cans around, I was using that for about 5-6 years until I found HD25, and boy what a difference it made, isolation, comfort, sound, much lighter...I believed HF wasn't around back then 
dt880smile.png

In terms of Beats, it's all marketing, and that's where I take my hats off to Jimmy, you see most NBA/NFL players, as well as football (soccer) players in Europe are all using Beats, but I believe they are paid and endorsed to do so

I remember back around 2004, Adidas signed David Beckham to one of the biggest sponsorship deal ever (though trumped by Nike and Thierry Henry the following year), I think Beckham was on holiday and he was photographed by some paparazzi wearing a Nike short, and that created a massive news...

So basically, LeBron must use/wear his Beats, otherwise he would lose his sponsorship money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back