Beats Solo HD
Jun 1, 2011 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

LilFrenchboy

New Head-Fier
Hi! I have the Beats by Dr. Dre Solo Hd and I'm having a problem with them. Should i use the warranty and just get them fixed or just retur themm and get a different pair of headphones?
If you think I should get a different pair, please tell me what the cons of the beats are and a little description about the ones you might suggest. style s also a big factor.
One of the main concerns is that i would like to try the headset before I would purchase them. The Bose and Beats ar the only ones i can find locally to try. Are bose a good idea? I love the control talk on the beats. that is a feature I would very much like to have on other pairs. The budget is $230 and less. what are some good headpone companies?
Thanks!

beyersmile.png

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 18
Hi.

I think you'll find a lot of hostility on these boards toward both Beats and Bose. They're not bad, but they're overpriced and use marketing to take advantage of people who don't know better. I think everyone here will tell you to return the Beats and either a) get something as good for a lot less money or b) get something much, much better. Actually, you can probably do better for less (and have your cake and eat it too).  As for what to recommend, that depends on what kind of music you like. Tell us more.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 18
I should add that in addition to using this forum for research, check out this site: http://www.headphone.com/ It has lot's of useful info. Look for its recommendations according to type and price, although know that in most cases one can find the same gear for less money. Still, it will give you a good introduction to what's what.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 18
This might sound wiered but i like classical, rap, pop, and classic rock. I love good sound but i'm not interested ingetting the "best." Are the beats still a good option? what do you think of the beats?

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 18
I've never listened to beats, but I'm sure you'll be able to find some good comparisons on this website.  Moreover, I am confident that you can do a lot better for the money. I also think that owning a pair of Beats is an invitation to be robbed. They are fashionable, at least here in Washington, DC, they are easy to recognize, and they are known to be expensive.  In contrast, Sennheisers, just to give one example, are not fashion items and are unknown to the average pedestrian.  Moreover, some are cheap. Some are very expensive. Few can tell how much any particular model is just by looking at it on someone's head.

In fact, to make things easy, find a pair of Sennheisers that seem to match what you want (kind of headphones, price), and then use that as a basis for research. No doubt someone somewhere has written up a comparison that includes the Senn and the Beats.  Odds are you'll find a Senn that's better and costs less, or in the process of doing research, you'll decide that some other model by another company is the clear choice.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 18
LOL Hopefully you're not another troll.

Klipsch S4i or S5i will meet 3 out of your 4 requirements.
- Sound quality is better than any Beats product you can try out on Apple or BestBuy or what not.
- Inline mic and iPod/iPhone controls.
- Available at Apple stores. I think some BestBuy stores also have them, but I'm not sure.
- Additionally, these have enough bass to satisfy the average hip-hop loving teenage basshead, while still having decent quality for the rest of the frequency range.

Style is subjective. Only you and your crowd can tell what is stylish or not. The Klipsch S4i and S5i are in-ear monitors, though, so there isn't really anything there to judge as far as style goes.

The Shure SRH240M also offers inline mic and iPod/iPhone controls, and I believe are easily available at local stores. I, however, have not tried them and can't give an opinion regarding sound quality.
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/music-mobile/srh240m-plus

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 is also worlds better on sound and build quality than all Beats products, while coming at a cheaper and reasonable price. However, it does not have an inline mic or iPod/iPhone controls. It also has a very long cord, which can be annoying for on-the-go use.

EDIT: I have tried every single Beats product available to test on Apple, BestBuy, Target, and even Fry's. Pretty sure I've tried all of them, and several Bose headphones as well. The Klipsch S4/S5 may have too much bass for most folks here, but it's still better than all the Beats products, LOL.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 18
Smack em with a hammer, I'd rather buy a diamond neckless.

Quote:
This might sound wiered but i like classical, rap, pop, and classic rock. I love good sound but i'm not interested ingetting the "best." Are the beats still a good option? what do you think of the beats?

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Return the Beats Solo HD and get an Audio-Technica M50. Saves you money, and you get better SQ. Nuff said.

I agree with mastershake2393.

After owning the ATH-M50's then listening to the Beats Solo HD, I thought that the Beats were overpriced. The Beats have a lot of bass but the mids and highs sound extremely muddy, while the M50s are very well balanced. If you like bass and only bass the Beats are for you, but since your music genres contain a mixture of different types, I believe the M50's will suit you very well.

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 18
Yep, don't fall for the hype like I did, I mean, the Beats sounds are OK, especially loud bass, but for that price you get much better headphones

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 18
The Beats might work for rap, but they are terrible for rock. Bass bleeds into the mids and sounds very muddy. ATH M50 are better. For rock and pop, I'd recommend the ATH ES7. But the ATH M50 work better with classical and rap than the ES7, so they are a safer bet.

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 18
Hi! I have the Beats by Dr. Dre Solo Hd and I'm having a problem with them. Should i use the warranty and just get them fixed or just retur themm and get a different pair of headphones?
If you think I should get a different pair, please tell me what the cons of the beats are and a little description about the ones you might suggest. style s also a big factor.
One of the main concerns is that i would like to try the headset before I would purchase them. The Bose and Beats ar the only ones i can find locally to try. Are bose a good idea? I love the control talk on the beats. that is a feature I would very much like to have on other pairs. The budget is $230 and less. what are some good headpone companies?
Thanks!

:beyersmile:
I considered buying the solo hd's, but I was lucky enough to be able to compare them to a few other sets at RadioShack. I went with the Tracks HD. They are also very stylish and have some really good sound quality. The bass is better than the solos and they don't suffer from the muddiness that the solos have. I only wish the mids were more pronounced. If you want some beats you should check out the Mixrs and the Wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back