Beats Solo Pro - The Official Thread
Mar 13, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #46 of 65
Purely opinion, but I A/B’d them and Solo3 fits and sounds better imo. I can use Solo3 extended 5 notches on each side, while I have to wear Solo Pro fully-extended and then it still barely fits my head — and started coming off when I tested it while walking my dogs. The magic of Solo3: its powerful, tight bass and natural mid-range isn’t necessarily replicated on the Solo Pro. In fact, the mid range on Solo3 even sounds better for YouTube videos. I don’t care about having ANC, but I’m sure there are a lot of people that would be thrilled with it. It’s just not for me unfortunately.

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #47 of 65
I didn’t realize Solo3 also measures slightly better in imaging and weighted harmonic distortion, with a much more pronounced bass. The sound signature on Solo Pro is pretty average, which goes against my initial impressions but combined with the tight fit this is the quickest I’ve ever decided to box up and return a headphone.

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #48 of 65
I didn’t realize Solo3 also measures slightly better in imaging and weighted harmonic distortion, with a much more pronounced bass. The sound signature on Solo Pro is pretty average, which goes against my initial impressions but combined with the tight fit this is the quickest I’ve ever decided to box up and return a headphone.
I didn't box it up as quickly as you did because I really wanted to love them. But from the first listen I wasn't impressed with the sound. I gave them a good few weeks before returning.

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #49 of 65
I didn't box it up as quickly as you did because I really wanted to love them. But from the first listen I wasn't impressed with the sound. I gave them a good few weeks before returning.

I was surprised at how unimpressed I was with the first song I tried on them. The fit is extremely tight which made me ready to give up on them immediately. I tried one more time earlier to like them, but I didn’t.

That being said coming from truly wireless I’m not sure I would have enjoyed Solo3 as much as I did either if it wasn’t my first real wireless headphone. It isn’t the most comfortable by virtue of being on-ear, but I liked the sound enough to overlook that. Still, I rarely find myself using it and opting for AirPods or Powerbeats Pro instead.

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #50 of 65
I was surprised at how unimpressed I was with the first song I tried on them. The fit is extremely tight which made me ready to give up on them immediately. I tried one more time earlier to like them, but I didn’t.

That being said coming from truly wireless I’m not sure I would have enjoyed Solo3 as much as I did either if it wasn’t my first real wireless headphone. It isn’t the most comfortable by virtue of being on-ear, but I liked the sound enough to overlook that. Still, I rarely find myself using it and opting for AirPods or Powerbeats Pro instead.
I have both the Powerbeats Pro and AirPods Pro as well and I agree. Both are more comfortable and convenient than any On Ear I've tried

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #51 of 65
I have both the Powerbeats Pro and AirPods Pro as well and I agree. Both are more comfortable and convenient than any On Ear I've tried

How do you feel about the sound quality on both of those? I went with Powerbeats Pro over AirPods Pro for the style, better and more dynamic sound quality (subjective but it also measures remarkably well), and because I don’t want or need ANC.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #52 of 65
How do you feel about the sound quality on both of those? I went with Powerbeats Pro over AirPods Pro for the style, better and more dynamic sound quality (subjective but it also measures remarkably well), and because I don’t want or need ANC.
If I had to choose one, I'd choose the Powerbeats Pro. More stable and secure fit for me and better sound. However, the decision wouldn't be easy. I think the AirPod Pros are more versatile due to their ANC, transparency mode, and portability. Just super convenient to throw in your ears real quick while out and about

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #53 of 65
If I had to choose one, I'd choose the Powerbeats Pro. More stable and secure fit for me and better sound. However, the decision wouldn't be easy. I think the AirPod Pros are more versatile due to their ANC, transparency mode, and portability. Just super convenient to throw in your ears real quick while out and about

I like that Powerbeats Pro is semi-open, as it lets in just enough sound that pausing music is enough to hear if someone wants to talk. Transparency Mode is cool but I don’t want to live in a digital bubble all the time. I’d rather be able to naturally hear people around me.

May 13, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #54 of 65
Looks like we will start to get Apple branded circumaural headphones. Can't wait for what features they'd have. ANC would be one of them, and they've proven that they can do ANC really well with APP.

Would they be able to master adaptive EQ? Would they be able to detect earshape and EQ accordingly? Always wondered how a headphone would sound if EQ was done based on earshape.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...ill-blow-away-bose-with-these-killer-features

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #55 of 65
May 13, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #56 of 65
Grown to like the Solo Pros but I will probably change in a heartbeat if they are anything like the APP but overhead.
I get a feeling Apple has the tech background and funds to push the boundaries that other companies are not able to. I'm hoping they'd research more into adaptive EQ, customizing for different earshapes. I'm curious what new things they can come up with in the headphone space.

I hope for also better fidelity communication connection as well.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #57 of 65
I get a feeling Apple has the tech background and funds to push the boundaries that other companies are not able to. I'm hoping they'd research more into adaptive EQ, customizing for different earshapes. I'm curious what new things they can come up with in the headphone space.

I hope for also better fidelity communication connection as well.

Agreed. I expect more from Apple than the Beats brand.

Regarding better fidelity I couldn’t be more on your side but I am doubtful as Bluetooth 5 don’t have the transfer rates what I know.

May 13, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #58 of 65
Apple owns Beats so not sure why anything would change that much. I guess if you mean that Apple perceives Beat as having a user type and Apple as having a different user type that could imply a different approach to sound signatures might be taken.

May 13, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #59 of 65
Apple owns Beats so not sure why anything would change that much. I guess if you mean that Apple perceives Beat as having a user type and Apple as having a different user type that could imply a different approach to sound signatures might be taken.
Yeah, both have different branding that people have certain exceptions of due to how they were promoted in the media. Beats has been heavily promoted with celebrities wearing them.

I know traditionally Beats carried a reputation of bass boosted headphones for the sake of bass, and not so balanced response. Although this reputation can stand among certain people out there that refuses to try the new Beats models, there is no denying that Beats sound tuning has changed lately. I've first noticed it with BeatsX. It sounded much more balanced than what I expected of Beats.

I think their tuning philosphy has changed, and it shows in the frequency responses. Same goes for the latest AirPods Pro. There seems to be certain target response they are trying to achieve, and it's isn't the consumer friendly V-shape with boosted treble with fake detailing. I see this consumer tuning with Sennheiser and M&D TWS with their boosted bass and treble. And Sony WH-XM3 is not a surprise with it's bass right? So far based on what I'm seeing with the tunings, I don't think Apple go down that route.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #60 of 65
Yeah, both have different branding that people have certain exceptions of due to how they were promoted in the media. Beats has been heavily promoted with celebrities wearing them.

I know traditionally Beats carried a reputation of bass boosted headphones for the sake of bass, and not so balanced response. Although this reputation can stand among certain people out there that refuses to try the new Beats models, there is no denying that Beats sound tuning has changed lately. I've first noticed it with BeatsX. It sounded much more balanced than what I expected of Beats.

I think their tuning philosphy has changed, and it shows in the frequency responses. Same goes for the latest AirPods Pro. There seems to be certain target response they are trying to achieve, and it's isn't the consumer friendly V-shape with boosted treble with fake detailing. I see this consumer tuning with Sennheiser and M&D TWS with their boosted bass and treble. And Sony WH-XM3 is not a surprise with it's bass right? So far based on what I'm seeing with the tunings, I don't think Apple go down that route.
Absolutely, and yes I have to agree that an Apple design team would have a specific ethos that would differ from Beats design teams. Why compete with yourself after all. Lucky for headphone enthusiasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back