Before I lose my mind and order the JVC Sz2000s.....
Aug 6, 2017 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Danielbea122

100+ Head-Fier
Before I lose my mind and order the JVC Sz2000s I would like to know of any recommendations you guys may have for a HP with punchy bass that also has good/decent mids/highs?

I will be pushing them with the magni2 listening to many different genres of music.

Closed back of course and $300ish range with some flexibility there.

Thx in advance.

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 34
If you want much better sound quality and punchy bass, try a HIFIMAN planar magnetic such as the HE400, HE400i, HE500, etc.

As you already know, you'll need to boost the bass with EQ to get a lot more slam than is in the recording.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 34
I was under the impression that for bass you want closed back.

Also I have X2s now so i have been focusing on closed backs

Some open-backs can compete with extreme bass closed-backs under the right conditions.

My recommendation for a closed-back with better sound quality than the SZ2000 that can still do extreme bass slam is the Yamaha HPH-MT220. It's available at lower prices from amazon.co.uk. As with the SZ2000, extensive EQ and pad swaps are beneficial. (For head-shaking impact, bass boosts of 10 to 40 dB are ideal.)

Other options include the Fostex TH-X00 and V-MODA Crossfade M-100.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 34
I think generally openbacks rolls off on the low bass. They can still have slam, but not sub-bass, woofing type experiences that closed backs can provide.

Most planar magnetic headphones extend below 20 Hz with no roll-off at all. Plenty of electrostats and dynamics can do that as well. (All open-back.) And EQ can bring the bass up to any level.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 34
Try the V-Moda M100.
@DiscoProJoe has some EQ presets that I heard at a local Head-Fi meet and they slammed nearly as hard as the SZ2000....and the mids and highs are naturally much better than the SZ2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back