Best 2.1 Speakers for US$ 400
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

craige

New Head-Fier
I want to buy best 2.1 Speakers money can buy  (Max. US$ 400.)

Now the problem is where i live, there is nothing like you hear speakers before you buy them... we have to purchase without listening & returns are not accepted as well.

The only speaker available to hear and demo are by two brands: JBL & Bose.

So i am currenly using: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II, and have short listed the below speakers:

Corsair 2500
Creative T3
Bose Companion 5

Can you guys tellme frm specs and stuff, which speaker will be supirior to what i am using right now and louder than my current setup as well ?

If i dont get proper answer, i am planning to go for Bose, as i dont wana take blind risk.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 10
Here is my 2 cents worth before you get spammed with posts that tell you that your better of with reference monitors, or bookshelf speakers with a amp...:)

I recently researched all the above as i replaced my Altec Lansing MX5021 which decided to die on me.

To make long story short, i ended up with the Corsair SP2500.

Why ? Simply because it sounded the best to me.

Creative while ok, im not to keen of of their bass, and their highs is a bit harsh (like my old MX5021)

The companion 5 lacks in midrange and their sub isn't as effective nor is it as defined and controlled as the SP2500, even though i prefer it over creatives T3. Bose has kind of "processed" sound signature which some people love and some people.. well not love so much. .-)

The corsair while not perfect delivered the most clean and accurate sound to my ears, and it does so with a quite a punch. The sub is very good as it delivers tight bass without becoming overpowering. 

My biggest gripe with the Corsair SP2500 is the looks, and the fact the satellites can't be wall mounted out of the box. 

Also don't forget that that you need a good sound card/DAC to get sound into to your new speakers.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 10
I really appreciated your post Paullin. Yes, i am well aware that the Bose sound is processed and when i have purchased SundsticksII 4years ago... i remember comparing it with Bose Companion3 which to me sounded hollow in vocals due to its processing.

So yes, i fear i may not like Companion 5 as well when i go for the demo of it tommorow.... so i have all the above stated speakers for standby.

BTW, can you plz inspect Specs of Soundsticks 2 and Corsair 2500... and leme know how much more powerful and better these 2500 can be? as i am not good at understanding technicals of speakers....

ALso, is it true tht Corsair 2500 make humming noise when volume is set at Zero... and bass is just thumps and not well defined? I Also, going to be running sound via my mobo which is excellent , so no sound card for me.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

BTW, can you plz inspect Specs of Soundsticks 2 and Corsair 2500... and leme know how much more powerful and better these 2500 can be? as i am not good at understanding technicals of speakers....

ALso, is it true tht Corsair 2500 make humming noise when volume is set at Zero... and bass is just thumps and not well defined?

Whille HK Soundstick II (and III) is stylish they simply can't compare to the SP2500, not in terms of sound and power at least.

The SP2500 is dead silent on zero volume, just as it is on max volume. Anyone claiming different either have a faulty set or a component in the chain causing it (which is the most probable cause)

The subwoofer design (4th order bandpass) is different then just about any subwoofer in this price range the companion 5 included. The performance is all but undefined, it's tight, responsive and accurate opposed to comparable systems which often just has a subwoofer that rumbles like mad and chokes when you turn the volume up.

If it's anything you will notice right away is that the subwoofer actual does it's job and it does it very well.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
 I Also, going to be running sound via my mobo which is excellent , so no sound card for me.

Well i was thinking that my onboard sound was excellent on my Imac 27" and compared to many onboard soundcards on pc's it might be.

But compared to a good external DAC it's not, especially if your planning on listening to lossless music on speakers like the one you mentioned.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Also, going to be running sound via my mobo which is excellent , so no sound card for me.

Spend $50 for a used Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, way better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then any motherboard's.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 10
I would look at the following systems:
- Edifier S730: probably the best 2.1 for non-professionals - slightly more expensive at about 480 - 500 $

- Corsair SP 2500 - very good sound quality - 260 $
- Edifier S530D - a bit less powerful than the Corsairs but you get a better design and a wireless remote control
- Antec Soundscience Rockus 3D - on par with the Edifier - about 250 $, very good speakers

In the end if you get any of the last 3 on sale, it's a good deal. At the moment the corsairs are 190 $ on Amazon, for this money I doubt you can get better.

Regarding your picks: Bose overpriced, and Creative not bad but all the above are better value for money.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 10
I would stnot recommend the bose,you dont get good sound for what u pay. Ive had better experiences with creative more better sound for your money than bose in my experience. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 10
I just got the Corsair's and love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back