Best ~$30 mini to mini (3.5mm) interconnect?
Jul 15, 2007 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kurt_fire

100+ Head-Fier
I'll be using this cable to run from my computer soundcard to my headphone amp, a PA2V2. My headphones are MS-1s. As of now I'm torn between these two:

Cardas 1M Mini to Mini cable from HeadRoom.com --> http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...mini-cable.php

and

a Blue Jeans Cable custom made cable. I just called BJC and the guy told me they can do a custom mini to mini (3.5mm) cable for me. He said the cable they use is very new and it's a mini-stereo cable that was specifically designed for this purpose by Belden. The cable is called BJC MSA-1 and the price is $25 plus $2 per foot (so a 3 foot cable is $31.00). Right angle plugs are available too.

He says he doesn't have the specs for the cable though because it's so new. He said I'd have to get them from the manufacturer (which I guess is Belden?). I just looked on Belden's website, and searched Google, but haven't found any info about a MSA-1 cable.

So which should I go with guy. The Cardas I linked above or this BJC cable? Or perhaps another that will trump these? I do not want to build a DIY cable either.

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 16
You might also consider making your own. It's supposedly one of the best starter DIY projects, and man you can make a quality cable for a very nice price.

$4.20 for 10 feet of Canare cable
$4.99 each per Canare plug
~$10 for a ratshack soldering iron if you don't have one
$5 for some resin core solder

On your budget, you would have about 7ft extra cable, a soldering iron, and solder to boot, in case you wanted to do future DIY projects.

I got the cable/plug prices from Markertek, which is where I bought all the supplies for my own DIY cable project.

EDIT: well, I noticed that you stated you do not wish to make your own, so sorry if you find this post to be worthless

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also consider making your own. It's supposedly one of the best starter DIY projects, and man you can make a quality cable for a very nice price.

$4.20 for 10 feet of Canare cable
$4.99 each per Canare plug
~$10 for a ratshack soldering iron if you don't have one
$5 for some resin core solder

On your budget, you would have about 7ft extra cable, a soldering iron, and solder to boot, in case you wanted to do future DIY projects.

I got the cable/plug prices from Markertek, which is where I bought all the supplies for my own DIY cable project.

EDIT: well, I noticed that you stated you do not wish to make your own, so sorry if you find this post to be worthless

ha yeah I really don't want to build one as a DIY project. For one, I'd have no clue what I was doing. And another, it would only save me $10 tops. To me that isn't worth the time and effort involved in making a DIY cable. Although it would be nice to say "I built that" and have the satisfaction of knowing the quality of the materials inside it.

But yeah, I'm just looking to buy one today. Perhaps I'll make my own in the future when my income is greater and there will be a significant price difference between a DIY and for example, some Grovers.

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 16
I recently bought a 1m mini-to-RCA from Head-Fier Fitz (which he made for me) in the $30-ish price range. It's standout qualities are the fullness of its sonic qualities coupled with its physical thinness and flexibility. If you can contact him, and he's willing to build one for you, it's a fine cable. In the (work) rig that I'm using it in (with a very modest source), it's as good-sounding and synergistic as a very decent $150 cable that I'd previously used in this rig. I'm currently contacting Fitz to build me another cable.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which should I go with guy. The Cardas I linked above or this BJC cable? Or perhaps another that will trump these? I do not want to build a DIY cable either.

both those cables are nice. I like me Cardas for it's small male plugs fit into areas larger plugs will not. a bud had problems with a larger interconnect and it's right angle connector seating all the way in on the back of his sound card. I dunno how tight inputs are around your sound card but this might be something to consider.

here's another inexpensive cable that I would like to check out that uses Mogami cable. their RCA to min uses Belden.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ipod-cables.htm

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 16
I'd go with BJC. Their cables are great, and it's wonderful news to hear that they finally have their own proprietary mini cable. They've probably received enough requests for it from us Head-Fiers that it's worthwhile for them to manufacture it. Their design philosophy seems solid.

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 16
O.K Fitz is a member, but BJC???I don't know (what or who)BJC?

Blue Jean Cable, my bad!!!

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 16
Another vote for Fitz. I love his cables. I hear nothing but good about Blue Jeans, too, so you won't go wrong either way.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 16
I just had moonhawk (another headfier) make me a mini-RCA and it is very high-quality and great bang for buck. You might want to check with him as well and see what he could do for you. I actually wrote to him about a mini-mini about 10 minutes after I received the mini-RCA.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 16
Apologies for resurrecting this ancient thread, but I too am looking for a 3.5mm male-to-male interconnect (~6 ft), albeit in the $10 range.  I normally buy from Monoprice, but their 3.5mm cables appear to actually be unusable, based on reviews.  I respect the wooly world of high-end cabling, but this is for a PC system for a non-audiophile family member, so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.  Is anyone aware of a cable that might work for me?  Thanks!

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 16
No problem. I suggest either the http://goo.gl/cwNwx0 or the http://goo.gl/282mv8 depending on what lenght you want. I intend to buy either of these for myself, if that makes you feel like it's an honest suggestion.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks, those are great suggestions!  I ended up going with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251199841935  It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't offer any information as to whether it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back