Best all-around bluetooth headphones available today?
Mar 18, 2017 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MrP627

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am new to the headphone scene and wanted to ask for some advice. I will try my best to use some terms that I've learned on the site.

I use a PC hooked up to a Home Theater to watch movies and play games but since I now have young kids; it's been tricky to enjoy the surround sound experience at night. Since I view around 8-9 feet away I figure I should strongly consider a wireless. Also, I could also use it with my phone when I'm out. Would also prefer closed-back since I do want to use it outside and avoid sound leakage, etc. It also has to work well with surround sound sofware like DTS X, Dolby Headphone, CMSS3D, etc. Taking into consideration possible latency issues via bluetooth.

In my quest to find out what kind of sound signature I liked best I tried out a bunch of headphones, these stuck out for me:

1. Audio Technica M50x - these infamous headphones did not disappoint. I liked the clarity, balance and clear bass. The reasonable pricing is also a plus. However, I found the volume a bit weak for a truly enjoyable sound experience. A DAC maybe? But then that hurts its portability Also, not wireless, so not a top pick at the moment.

2. Beyerdynamic P51 - I really liked the way these sound. Probably even more than the M50x's (comparing from memory) Good clarity, very warm. Good volume. However, on-ear is not ideal for prolonged use and again, not wireless. Do they have over-ear wireless versions of these???

3. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - The best thing I liked about these was that I could adjust the sound depending on the music I am listening to which is really all-over the map genre-wise.

3. Sony MDR1A - I also liked how these sound, though I think I still prefer the sound of the P51, but if I do get a wired I might go for these instead for the over-ear comfort as the on-ears really tend to get too hot and discomforting for me over time. They did not carry the wireless version.

4. ATH MSR7 - The pair I tried were not broken in but I found the clarity of these amazing. Bass was clear and punchy but I wouldn't mind upping it up a notch. Also, I feel it did sound a tad edgy and could be fatiguing to listen to after a while.

5. PXC 550 - Good clarity but I felt the sound was a bit too flat for to truly enjoy.

6. MDR 1000x - My top pick! I really like the sound via wireless (plugged was even better though) I would have probably bought these already if the only unit available was not the demo unit. At the moment, the local store has no idea when they will be restocking. Has anyone tested these out for Virtual surround gaming by any chance? I am very curious about the sound stage performance for that type of usage.

Like many of you here, I like listening to a variety of music. Acoustic, rock, pop, hip-hop, EDM, vocal type music (e.g. Adele) and even classical. I like 'em all depending on mood.

These are also on my radar but I can only get them online so any input on how they sound compared to my preference would be greatly appreciated:

XB950BT (wondering if I would love the bass or if it would be too much and overpower clarity. Great prices online though!),
MDR1ABT, S700BT, WS99, B&W P7 Wireless.

So I guess to sum up, I would like advice on getting a set of headphones that have the following features:

1. Wireless
2. Has a great sound stage despite being closed back.
3. Works well with Virtual surround gaming software.
4. Good clarity and great bass performance (a warm signature as I understand it)
5. Over-ear

Sorry, this got a bit long! I thank anyone who takes the time to read it and gives their suggestions and opinions. Your inputs will be greatly appreciated!

P.S.

Also been looking at the XB950N1 and DSR7 online but the cost of importing them without knowing how they sound is another hindrance.... Curious how they perform tho, especially since I hear you can adjust the sound of the XB950N1 via software now. Wonder if you can use a PC for that too???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back