Best Amp/Dac under 450.00?
Mar 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Monsterzero

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaching out to those that know amps/dacs better than I for guidance

Budget:450.00
Requirements: desktop,USB,24/192,neutral to medium slightly warm

Want to use them for low impedance headphones that arent necessarily easy to drive (Alessandro Ms2e,ATH AD2000)

Fire away!

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 12
Asgard2 and modi2 uber. Puts you right at budget including shipping. I also recommend to search the for sale forums here. You can save a lot of money that way.

Cheers

I know headphones,but not so much amps/dacs,so forgive if this is a lame question but,how is this combo vs.Element?

Asgard2 and modi2 uber is warm-ish?

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 12
No clue about the element. Check out the Asgard2 thread. Very informative stuff in regards. If you're interested in tubes, which will definitely bring warmth. I'd search the for sale forum for a used Valhalla. It's not syrupy, but definitely warm. And the plus side is rolling tubes to tweak your preferred sound.
I know headphones,but not so much amps/dacs,so forgive if this is a lame question but,how is this combo vs.Element?

Asgard2 and modi2 uber is warm-ish?

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 12
No clue about the element. Check out the Asgard2 thread. Very informative stuff in regards. If you're interested in tubes, which will definitely bring warmth. I'd search the for sale forum for a used Valhalla. It's not syrupy, but definitely warm. And the plus side is rolling tubes to tweak your preferred sound.

dont think I want tubes(already have Wa2)just dont want a bright SS amp,prefer neutral-to slight warm tilt.

Anyone else?

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 12
  Reaching out to those that know amps/dacs better than I for guidance
Budget:450.00
Requirements: desktop,USB,24/192,neutral to medium slightly warm
Want to use them for low impedance headphones that aren't necessarily easy to drive (Alessandro Ms2e,ATH AD2000)

I would say to buy a used Schiit Modi DAC and a used Schiit Magni DAC.
Guessing you would spend in total under $200.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 12

I would say to buy a used Schiit Modi DAC and a used Schiit Magni DAC.
Guessing you would spend in total under $200.

communicated with Schiit last night and they suggested Asgaard as its slightly warm w/ Modi Uber.

Anyone have any experince with Peachtree DACs? If so how would you compare it to Schiit?

Seems Schiit doesnt have much competition in the Bang for the Buck in amp/dacs

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 12
  Buy the Non-Uber Modi unless you need those extra slots. If you're using the modi for your desktop then you're fine without the Uber.

looks like im going to get the Bifrost,as the Modi isnt upgradable to support MQA...Bifrost and all other Schiit DACs are,they just dont have the decoding yet

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 12
I have both the modi and the Bifrost and in all honesty, if you do a double blind test between the two, chances are you won't be able to tell the difference. I'm not sure what MQA is, but if you say you need it then go for it.

Mar 22, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 12
  I have both the modi and the Bifrost and in all honesty, if you do a double blind test between the two, chances are you won't be able to tell the difference. I'm not sure what MQA is, but if you say you need it then go for it.

yep,ive read a few blind A/B tests on the models and they confirm what you are saying.

MQA? Look here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back