Best AMP under $500? Help Me Out! (EDITED: JUST AMP!)
Dec 10, 2009 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Raez

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, here's the deal:

I need a headphone amp and a DAC. I don't care if they are together or separate, but there's a catch.

I need them both together to fall in at ~$500.

I just sold off my IE8s, so I only have one pair of cans at this very moment, but I'll be getting more, SOON. Here is what I expect to have:
  1. Grado GS1000s
  2. Maybe AKG K701/K702
  3. Maybe Sony SA5000
  4. It would be nice if they could drive the HifiMan HE-5s, as I might get those at some point.
  5. Maybe Shure SRH840/Ultrasone HFI-780/Audio Technica ESW9, but I don't really care if the amps works with them, 'cause I already have a portable amp. If it does, it's def a bonus.

Not interested in modding anything myself (or sending it out to be modded), but if it can be bought pre-modded, that's cool too.

BIG AMPSGET A +1 IN MY BOOK. YES, I MEAN PHYSICAL SIZE. YES, I'M INSANE.

I HAVE AN iBASSO D3, SO IF THE AMP IS NO IMPROVEMENT OVER THAT, NO THANKS!

EDIT 12/10: My wallet hates you. I understand $500 is probably just enough for an amp.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 28
If you're expecting to spend thousands on phones in the future, and especially if you are planning on getting very revealing phones like the HE-5, spend some money on a good amp and source, like at least $1k.

Best bang for buck is usually DIY used on the FS forums. People usually sell at parts cost, and DIY builds are almost always very high quality. Furthermore, the open source nature of DIY circuit design allows DIY designs to be far more refined than many of their commercial counterparts. As another +1 for you, people building DIY usually make their cases larger than necessary.

If you are going to try to drive a wide range of phones, make the amp a hybrid or SS.

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 28
There are some tube amps out there that are good with both low and high impedance cans. So I don't think he has to limit his choices on just ss or hybrids. I do agree with you that with the cans he plans on purchasing in the future, that 500 on both an amp and a dac would'nt be enough to out the best in those. So forget about anything new. The best thing would be to keep an eye out on the FS forum. I've seen some incredible deals from time to time. Just have to be patient though. If you're looking for something new and have to have it now, for your budget I would recommend the shanling p100 for an amp herehttp://cgi.ebay.com/Shanling-PH100-Headphone-Amplifier-PH-100-New_W0QQitemZ270495802427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3eface643b, and for the dac I would recommend the valab nos dac here Valab NOS USB Re-Clock DAC Low Jitter Dual 1ppm TCXO - eBay (item 300367299604 end time Dec-15-09 03:49:11 PST). That combo would be a nice entry level to mid-fi and would put you 50.00 under your budget.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 28
I think he does need to eliminate low budget all tube amps. Impedance mismatch is a bad thing and very easy to avoid if you do your hwk. Tube amps that are good with low Z phones are transformer coupled, with very few exceptions (such as the Zana Deux, for $2200). The cheapest coupled amp that I can think of is the WA6, for about $600.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he does need to eliminate low budget all tube amps. Impedance mismatch is a bad thing and very easy to avoid if you do your hwk. Tube amps that are good with low Z phones are transformer coupled, with very few exceptions (such as the Zana Deux, for $2200). The cheapest coupled amp that I can think of is the WA6, for about $600.

Skylab highly recommended this:

ANTIQUE SOUNDLAB

However, that's just an amp.

Okay, honest to god, I've been trying to figure out the impedance thing for a month now. I just cannot quite figure it out. Here, Ill use an example question:

The AKG K701 has an impedance of 62 ohms.

I am supposed to match it with an amp that has a similar ohm output...right? How similar does it need to be? One of the amp/DACs I'm looking at is the new Maverick Audio D1 DAC. It says this:

Maximum output power: 1000mW x 2 (32 ohms), 500mW x 2 (300 ohms), 300mW x 2 (600 ohms)

So, 32 ohms is plenty to drive the K701. Is that too much? Can there be too much?

I'm looking at the page for that amp ( Maverick Audio - Tube Magic D1 DAC Hardware Specifications ), but there doesn't seem to be a way to "change the output power". Will it "know" which to choose on its own? Will it give it all the power it can, and my headphone will just "throw away" the rest? Sorry, very confused here guys.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 28
Okay fine, I hate you guys.
biggrin.gif
I'll spend $500 on the amp alone, but no more. (or at least not much.
biggrin.gif
)

Please read my post above as well.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 28
It isn't just about current output with impedance. A big thing that impedance matching has to do with is damping. Damping is related to the speed at which a given harmonic oscillator (the driver in this case) will stop oscillating after a given force impulse.

Impedance mismatch causes a drop in damping, which results in the amp having less control over the drivers, which can "blur" the music. On top of that, the effect of poor damping is greater the lower the frequency of vibration. This means that you get boomy midbass which sounds bad.

Anyway... Impedance mismatch is bad. You want an output impedance at or lower than your can impedance. Since most SS and hybrid amps naturally have output Z near 0, Z mismatch isn't a problem.

It isn't about "adjusting" anything. These values are established values of the circuit. The possible output power is simply a function of the load coupled to the amp. It has nothing to do with the output Z of the amp.

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 28
Ah, okay, thanks. I appreciate all the suggestions guys, any more?

How about the DarkVoice 3322. How would that work with my cans?

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 28
What about the HiFiMan EF-5? Supposed to be an excellent match for the HE-5 in addition to (according to early reports since it hasn't been out very long) being a terrific amp in its own right (totally believable to me if it's an upgrade from the EF-1). $400 and able to drive pretty much anything. Seems like a potential win to me!

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 28
Raez, my advice with the big AKGs is to throw the formulas and graphs out the window - get the biggest, nastiest SS amp you can lay your hands on and work from there. You dont want something that 'does the job' with these cans, you want something that shows them who the boss is : anything less and they will ignore your pleas for musical enjoyment.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raez, my advice with the big AKGs is to throw the formulas and graphs out the window - get the biggest, nastiest SS amp you can lay your hands on and work from there. You dont want something that 'does the job' with these cans, you want something that shows them who the boss is : anything less and they will ignore your pleas for musical enjoyment.

HA! I like you sir. Care to recommend any 'big nasties'?

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're expecting to spend thousands on phones in the future, and especially if you are planning on getting very revealing phones like the HE-5, spend some money on a good amp and source, like at least $1k.

Best bang for buck is usually DIY used on the FS forums. People usually sell at parts cost, and DIY builds are almost always very high quality. Furthermore, the open source nature of DIY circuit design allows DIY designs to be far more refined than many of their commercial counterparts. As another +1 for you, people building DIY usually make their cases larger than necessary.

If you are going to try to drive a wide range of phones, make the amp a hybrid or SS.

I like the way you think, buying an amp now that you won't outgrow. only way to go if you want the most cost effective route. And 1k is about right, several good contenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back