Best bang for my buck?
Aug 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

zo0d

New Head-Fier
Hello ladies and gents, 

I'm in the States for the next week and it's clearly better to go out and grab what I want here, except I need the guidance of fellow audiophiles. I'm looking for phones and not really looking to spend any more than 300 bucks but I don't wanna spend too little because from past experiences, I've become a firm believer of the "you get what you pay for" thought process (i try and forget overpriced trash like Beats exist). I mostly listen to electronic music (dub/dnb/tech/deep and whatnot) and some rap/hip hop on the side and after a couple days of research, I still can't decide so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 14
Please give us some more information. Do you want a HP for portable use or just for home? Do you prefer open back or closed back headphones? Do you have some kind of amp?

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 14
To kick start:

Ultrasones Pro 900

D2000 - Note: stay clear of the new D400 ( my opinion and many others too )

V-MODA M100 ( Preorder now maybe? )

HE-400

Cheerz!

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Please give us some more information. Do you want a HP for portable use or just for home? Do you prefer open back or closed back headphones? Do you have some kind of amp?

I'd say more for home use and no preferences on the open or closed back headphones but I have heard that the closed ones become a little difficult to wear for longer periods of time. No amp as I'm just planning on listening to music from iphones and MacBooks.

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 14
The first thing I'm thinking of is headphones that are more expensive or harder to get outside of the US, like the Grado Prestige cans. But I'm not sure they're ideal for your bass tastes (I personally think they work well, but I don't like extremely bassy headphones). You might also try Ultrasone out, much more bass.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
The first thing I'm thinking of is headphones that are more expensive or harder to get outside of the US, like the Grado Prestige cans. But I'm not sure they're ideal for your bass tastes (I personally think they work well, but I don't like extremely bassy headphones). You might also try Ultrasone out, much more bass.

I don't enjoy too much bass either, I'd much rather the bass be clean and optimized rather than full force. I've narrowed it down to quite a few :
Ultrasone Pro 900
Q701
HD600
K550
DT880
D2000

Although I do understand some of these may clearly be better than others when it comes to sound, but I'm also taking in comfort (both long and short term) because when I do find the time to sit and indulge, it won't be for a short amount of time.

Thanks again!

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 14
I don't enjoy too much bass either, I'd much rather the bass be clean and optimized rather than full force. I've narrowed it down to quite a few :
Ultrasone Pro 900
Q701
HD600
K550
DT880
D2000

Although I do understand some of these may clearly be better than others when it comes to sound, but I'm also taking in comfort (both long and short term) because when I do find the time to sit and indulge, it won't be for a short amount of time.

Thanks again!

Based on your statement about bass - dump the PRO900 and D2000 off the list. I'd personally axe the K550 as well, which leaves you with the "old school trio" of flagship headphones - the 701, the 880, and the 600. Look at the SR-225 or SR-325 as well.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Heya,

I would get the HE400. It's over your budget, but it runs on nothing (where as a lot of others you chose need amplifiers).

Otherwise: D2000, Brainwavz HM5, HE300 r2, A900X.

Very best,

It's funny because I decided to come and check if I got anymore answers right after I ran into and read the HE-400 vs D2K thread and *******... Now I want the HE400s...I'm in the Los Angeles area until Friday, what would be the best way to get my hands them? :$

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Turns out my budget has increased a little bit (muahahaha).

After looking around for a little, I've decided to get an E7 portable amp, but I still can't decide between a few phones: Beyer DT series (which one if so?), Senn HD 6**, or a D2K. Still open to options once again since the setup has slighty changed.

Thanks again!

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 14
I don't know about the DT or D2K but the HD6xx need more juice than the E7 can deliver.  Will it work, yes, but you won't be getting their full potential.  The lowest I would go is the E17.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 14
++1 for HE-400 if budget increased :)

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #14 of 14
Denon D5000, they trumps other headphones in musicality ( DT880,DT990,M50 and even the T1 ... ). if you're not planning on a powerful amp, denons is the best choice. i don't know about the hifiman but the denons is really something. here's some reviews on amazon for the D5k to get you motivated ( BuaHaHaHa )
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back