Best budget closed cans for Sansa clip+ unamped?
Jul 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ohiojosh78

New Head-Fier
I was looking at the Audio Technica M50 or Koss Pro DJ100. What else is there sub $120 range for best performance, cost aside?

I am NOT looking for best bang for the buck just best performance on the widest variety of music. These will be 100% music only and probably play a lot of music like Eminem, 50, Rage Against the Machine, Korn, Tool etc. because I already purchased some Sennheiser Hd598 for the more delicate music and gaming sound stage usage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 7
DJ100 sounds surprisingly good from the Clip+. More so than on any of my other portable players. You'd think the Clip+ wouldn't have enough power to drive them, but it does.
Even an E5 would improve it even further if you have any extra $20 to spare.

Another nice option is the KRK KNS-6400 or 8400. The 8400 comes with memory foam pads. It's more of a studio monitor and not for everyone. If you're happy with the bass on the 598, the KRK will have more than enough.

DJ100 is also down to $50.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 7
I have the Clip+ and it's pretty good without an amp with the DJ100. I also have the Fuze, Cowon Iaudio 7 and Ipod Touch, but prefer the Clip+.
For the Clip+ I often use the E5 and Total Airhead. The E11 is OK, but I prefer now the sound signature of the cheaper E5 for the DJ100.

I bet the E5 can be found used for under $15.

BTW if you have a Best Buy in your area, you can have a listen to the DJ200 in the pro audio department. The only other headphone I liked there was the HD-380 (also on demo).

The DJ200 should sound the same as the DJ100.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 7
I was actually looking at the E5 and Clip+ combo on Amazon because they are practically the same footprint. I have a $50 gift card and I can get both for 49.98 total. I didn't pull the trigger because I didn't know if the E5 made a noticeable difference. I just purchased the HD598. I see that you have them also. Does the E5 make a noticeable difference with them on the Clip?

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I was actually looking at the E5 and Clip+ combo on Amazon because they are practically the same footprint. I have a $50 gift card and I can get both for 49.98 total. I didn't pull the trigger because I didn't know if the E5 made a noticeable difference. I just purchased the HD598. I see that you have them also. Does the E5 make a noticeable difference with them on the Clip?

Believe it or not i've never tried the E5 with the HD-598! I actually think the 598 does better without an amp than my DJ100. It even gets much louder and I have no problems listening to the 598 without an amp.
I've not actually noticed many improvements with the 598 when switching amps. For example, i'd never buy a $250 Asgard for just an HD-598. I'm sure even an E5 would be more than enough. Honestly I haven't done any huge comparisons with the 598.
I was just pretty surprised that the 598 didn't change/improve all that much between my E9, Asgard and Headroom Micro Amp. The HD-600 most definitely did.

BTW the E5 and Clip+ is nice because they both can clip together. I bought a 16gb MicroSD for mine and it's nice having unlimited storage as an option.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 7
Awesome thanks for the great communication. I went ahead and ordered the Clip+ 2gb figuring I can just use the micro SD slot to bump up the storage and the FIIO E6 instead of the E5 since it seems to be an updated version and about the same size for only a few bucks more. Let ya know how I like it with the senns and m50/le.

THANKS!
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back