Best build your own amp
Jul 31, 2011 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Leadmann12g

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've followed Head-Fi for some time, but have never posted a question... until today.

I'm sure that this has been answered in prior threads, but now that I've had my first set of good headphones (AKG K172 HD) I'm ready to build a portable amp.  I've researched the CMOY's and others from circa 2007 and understand their benefits when listening to iPods, et.al.  I'm curious, though, in 2011, what advances have been designed into BYO portable amps and are they better than the CMOY but consistent with its simplicity?  Have generational jumps been made in, say, lower power consumption with sustainable audio quality of today's pocketable amps?  The 172's have an impedance of 55 ohms. 

The AKG's were given very good specs, for the cost.  I needed to make that jump from $19.95 'digital headphones into much better cans.  The difference, even with a flat EQ, was startling to say the least.  So, for the moment, I'm OK with them. 

Thanks for the input.

Leadmann12g

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 5
I think you should build a cmoy and develop your soldering and circuit reading skills. maybe you can build a mini3 later. other than that you can look at pimeta.

Jul 31, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the quick reply, Tamu. 

Soldering is not a problem, nor is circuit reading.  I've done enough electronics troubleshooting components, repair and building on standard and SMT PCB's over time.  Now, circuit design... that's a talent I would like to accomplish. 

You mentioned the Pimeta.  Just after getting the AKG's, I began researching amps again.  The PIMETA popped up on a search.  It's a far cry from the simplicity of the CMOY, let alone the population on the PCB. If I recall, the PIMETA design showed up around 2008 and required a NiMH battery pack nearly as large as the amp itself. Ergo, my question pertaining to more recent designs. 

I may be overlooking the power required to properly drive the headphones as part of the 'equation'. 

Leadmann

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 5
Portable amps are mainly used with IEMs and buds. Full sized cans will benefit but a desktop amp will have more power supply.

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 5
while I agree with camper, you still can get a decent sound out of portables. if your confident with your soldering then go for the mini3..

I also wish I could design circuits but I guess its hard to learn.

Anyway you can get a mini3 kit for 100usd and build it yourself. meant to be a very nice amp.

pretty much all the amps youll find will be around the size of an ipod classic so if you want somethg small either get a ibasso t3 or learn the art of etching your own pcbs so you can make a mini cmoy.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, Tamu. 

Soldering is not a problem, nor is circuit reading.  I've done enough electronics troubleshooting components, repair and building on standard and SMT PCB's over time.  Now, circuit design... that's a talent I would like to accomplish. 

You mentioned the Pimeta.  Just after getting the AKG's, I began researching amps again.  The PIMETA popped up on a search.  It's a far cry from the simplicity of the CMOY, let alone the population on the PCB. If I recall, the PIMETA design showed up around 2008 and required a NiMH battery pack nearly as large as the amp itself. Ergo, my question pertaining to more recent designs. 

I may be overlooking the power required to properly drive the headphones as part of the 'equation'. 

Leadmann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back