Best closed-ear headphones around 100$?
Nov 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kuloss

Head-Fier
i dont mind buying used or refurb. Im looking for a headphone that will let me experience my music just about anywhere(school,the library etc.) around 100-120ish. Ive looked at the HFI-580(heard the highs are garbage, literally,hears guitar solos sound like people screaming into garbage cans)KRK-kns8400, and the SRH-840. Are these the best for this price range? and are there any good cyber monday deals? i REALLY want the Beyer custom ones but 140$ might be a bit out of my price range :frowning2: i normally listen to just about everything but country/metal/hardcore etc, im mostly an electronic/jazz kind of guy.Thanks!

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Audio Technica ATH-M50's are a great all around set and are a solid build quality.  Probably one of the most recommended headphones on head fi too, considering how many times I see them here.  They were $120, earlier today! They just bumped up their price on amazon.  Keep an eye on them, hopefully the price will go back down soon.

There also pretty good at not leaking any sound, so would do well in public places.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 5
The Shures would be excellent for Jazz. The KRKs aren't quite as good for jazz, the bass doesn't recover as fast as the shures. They are more comfortable though. Both are superior to the M50.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 5
I've owned the 8400s twice, and I enjoyed them; they are quite comfortable and have excellent isolation.  I eventually sold them and now have the Philips Citiscape Uptowns.  I found they have similar isolation, are a bit smoother in the treble, and have more enjoyable (but not overdone, obnoxious) bass.  They can be found for a lot less than $100.  I found the 8400s to have comfort far superior to that of the SRH840s.  I really like the SoundMAGIC HP100s that I just got, but they are $200.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 5
To toss another one into the mix you could consider the Shure SRH750DJ's. They fold up nicely and have good isolation for public places. I carry mine to university campus with me all the time.

You can get them online on eBay from an authorized retailer for $110 shipped brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back