Best closed headphone for movies?
Jan 8, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #16 of 22
Mani do you use those ATH's in your avatar for movies? If so how do they sound? I kind of do this discretely at work so I need something small like the E10 or E17. I watch movies after 4pm when everyone leaves. I'm not really looking for the ultimate movie experience but just something better than my E10 and Audio Techinica M50s with there disgusting V sig that makes movies sound dumb.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #17 of 22
The ATH-A900X hasn't been available for a good price outside of Japan for a while. Maybe you can find a pair for a reasonable price locally. Amazon.co.jp has the ATH-A900X for $170 (14800 Yen) and the ATH-A700X for $130 (11320 Yen). Amazon.com has the ATH-A700X for $135, which isn't a great deal but not a bad price either (whereas the A900X is ~$100 more for a Japanese import which also has a different warranty). The difference between them is not significant enough to justify that huge of a cost. When you look at the difference in price on te Japanese Amazon, that gives a good idea of the difference in intended value; the ATH-A900 is currently a total ripoff outside Japan.

Unless you can find the DT770 / Custom One Pro for ≤$150, the ATH-A700 for $135 may be your best bet at the moment.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #18 of 22
I paid $270 for my a900x. I didn't mind paying a bit more for them because I think they are fantastic headphones for almost anything. I also buy locally (in Canada) so almost everything is more expensive here. I'm old fashioned like that, I just can't get into ordering things online, paying for shipping, and waiting and hoping nothing goes wrong. I'd personally rather just pay a premium and go down to my local shop and grab what I want on the spot. Krieg is right though, it is tough to find them at a decent price these days.

As for the A900X, they sound great with movies, for gaming, and especially with music. I also have the M50's and these are a significant upgrade over them in my opinion. If I can get my set up working with VLC for 5.1 I'll be extra happy with them, lol 
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #21 of 22
Whats wrong with the M50s for movies? 

J/w, I'm considering them for an all purpose headphone (not for critical listening, just for enjoyment).

If I was you I'd spend a little more money and get something else they have a v shaped signature and aren't as great as people here make them out to be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back