Best DAC for Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

audionoob666

New Head-Fier
Hey All!

An audio newbie here. Recently got the ATH-MSR7b headphones from a friend and was impressed with the sound even without any additional gear - using a basic apple 3.5 to lighting or simply plugging into an output on a motherboard.

So I wanted to ask if I can actually get a better sound out of this piece by buying something along the lines of a portable DAC.

I’m intending to use this with my iPhone 13 Pro Max on the go, so my choice pretty much comes down to DACs (as far as my newbie research went).

I’m quite limited on a budget, and willing to buy from a known local retailer, so the following options are available (multiple models listed in a single line, separated by a slash):
- AudioQuest Dragonfly - Black / Red
- Astell&Kern AK - HC2 / HC3 / HC4
- FiiO - Q11 / KA5 / KA17

So, to sum up, is it even worth buying a dedicated DAC for that pair of headphones paired with an iPhone? And if so, which one would you suggest?

Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 4
I’d skip the Dragonfly. I got them and it’s not that great. You have to EQ through the phone app which is a pain.

FiiO is pretty neutral to dry for sound. The AK ones are expensive. I don’t have experience with them. You’d want something portable and simple and easy to EQ for different sounds.

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 4
A better DAC could potentially provide more detail, but I'm not entirely sure that an ATH-MSR7b - as good as it sounds - can resolve the difference. On top of that, the ATH-MSR7b is relatively low impedance, as well as fairly sensitive, so you won't benefit much from additional amplification.

TL;DR: Nope, not worth it, save your money! :slight_smile::thumbsup:

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 4
ATH-MSR7b are low-impedance, high-sensitivity, meant to play with anything. iPhone DAC is good and you don't need extra power for those phones. Just plug it in and rock out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back