Best headphone for travel and home use? (100-250$)
Dec 28, 2012 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lundsaunet

New Head-Fier
So I've decided to get a new pair of headphones, I currently own the B&W P3, but i am not satisfied at all, mostly due to the the mids being to excessed for my liking.
My problem is that I wanted something for commuting, as well as home-use, and i can't find any can that meets all of my criteria.
I consider myself a basshead, but without sacrifising the rest of the SQ.
Active noisec-cancelling, and detachable cables are both pretty nice features, that I would like to have. Price range 100-250$

I've just sorted out some headphones so you could get my thoughts about this. If somebody has other suggestions, this is warmly welcomed.

AKG K167
Pros:
  1. punchy and strong bass. (At least that's what i'm told)
  2. looks comfortable.
  3. Can be driven by portable devices.
Cons:
  1. The dots on the headband look like crap.
  2. All plastic construction.
  3. No detachable cable.

Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80
Pros:
  1. Looks beautiful, solid and professional.
  2. bass-heavy headphone.
  3. quite cheap.
  4. comfortable.
Cons:
  1. Needs amping. (?)
  2. Pretty heavy.
  3. No detachable cable.
  4. Unpractical when travelling.

Bose QuietComfort 15
Pros:
  1. Noise-Cancelling
  2. Very comfortable
  3. Detachable cable.
  4. Lightweight.
Cons:
  1. Pretty thin bass IMO.
  2. looks pretty cheap with all the plastic.
  3. impossible to turn off NC.

AKG K495
Pros:
  1. Looks absolutely stunning.
  2. Lightweight.
  3. NC. (And they can be used without it.)
  4. Detachable cable.
Cons:
  1. On-ear. (I prefer around-ear headphones.)
  2. Expensive.

V-Moda M100
Pros:
  1. Bass-heavy.
  2. Rugged.
  3. Folds up pretty compact.
  4. Detachable cable.
Cons:
  1. Looks like a ******* fighter jet.
  2. I can't find them in Norway, where I live...

Please help me find a good one this time. I never want to feel the dissapointment I felt after the P3's again.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 5
i know this is all anyone recommends on headfi but the audio technica ath-m50's are probably the best sound you can get although the cord is a bit long but the cord not being detachable is actually better because the cord is wrapped around 2 pegs inside the can which ensure ridiculous strain relief the cord isnt too long to be portable if you put it in a wrap. the bass is definetly there unlike the bose which are **** unless your a frequent flyer that listens to only classical music or church sermons the mids are there and the highs are there balanced and unhyped in anyway the bass is real and full with the mids although some songs i wish there was a little more midrange

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 5
I believe the UE 6000 has what you're looking for.  The bass should definitely satisfy you especially if you flip on Active Noise Cancelling (More like Bass Boosting), but you can also listen on passive mode without any batteries.  Also, the cable is detachable and they can fold which makes portability no problem.  Plus, there's also nice features like on cord controls, a 2 way splitter, and the case is pretty nice.  So if you're using an iDevice, I would definitely recommend the UE 6000.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 5
The UE 6000 is a really nice phone, nice soundstage, good 'punchy'-ness, solid mids, great bass... BUT, it is really dark/veiled... It sounds to me as if there were a blanket over the drivers sometimes, and it always starts to bug me after a while of listening to it cause I seem to miss those high frequencies in pretty much every style of music I listen to. With the noise cancelling active however, it actually sounds pretty decent, but the mids do become a bit recessed (and the actual 'cancelling-out noise' bit isn't that great, but it helps). If you like that sound signature though, go for it, they are a really solid dark-sounding headphone.

Of the ones you mentioned though, I've only heard the Bose and the DT770, and of those two I greatly prefer the 770. The DT770 sounds great and has very good bass, but I wouldn't say it's terribly portable though, if you intend to use it that way a lot. The m100 also seems to be a good choice as well from what I've seen, though I can't attest to it's sound personally, there's plenty of reviews of it floating around here that are pretty good.  Another option I recently stumbled upon that also seems like a good choice would be the Denon DN-HP700, which are only $99 and supposedly hold their own against even some ~$900 phones; I'm actually considering grabbing a pair of these myself at some point.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 5
I was going to recommend the dt770's and the Senn HD251ii's,
but after seeing you want around the ear headphones I think the 770's are a great choice.
Especially if you like plenty of bass. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back