Best headphones for $127.58
Mar 8, 2013 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've emptied out my piggy bank and that's my budget. I MIGHT be able to stretch it to $128.97, but that's the highest I can go.

Also, they need to be open AND closed and work from an iPod but also be able to get much better with better amps. Also, they have to have 'mad bass, yo' but also have an amazing sense of air and speed.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
So I've emptied out my piggy bank and that's my budget. I MIGHT be able to stretch it to $128.97, but that's the highest I can go.

Also, they need to be open AND closed and work from an iPod but also be able to get much better with better amps. Also, they have to have 'mad bass, yo' but also have an amazing sense of air and speed.

How could a headphone be both open and closed?

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for your suggestion Eyro Ny
signature.jpg

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 10
never heard both open and closed headphones before??, or a semi-open headphones like the DT880 perhaps that have both open sounding and also have that isolation effect againts noise from outside like closed back headphones??

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 10
I think he's joking (at least that's what I'm assuming), but regardless - open/closed hybrid headphones have been made before as both commercial, and after-market modded products. On the commercial side, you can thank Sony, with the Altus MDR-D777. I have never heard them, I remember a cNet review years ago saying they were reasonable competition for the original Bose TriPort though. He&Bi has measured them:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/mdr-d777sl.html

In the world of custom mod headphones, Headphile has made some woodies that have rotating grilles and switch from open to closed. No idea if they still do. :xf_eek:

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, it was a joke - but on head-fi, even in a joke thread, I still learn something new.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 10
Are you guys sure he was joking?

Anyway, if you could stretch your budget a bit (a couple hundreds would do) I'd try some secondhand Beats Solo (you can find plenty of them on FS here on head-fi) modded with the Senns HD800 pads, a couple holes on the left earcup (please note it's not the right one or you risk damaging your cans) and a custom Cardas cable.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back