Best headphones for electronic music (trance, progressive)?
Feb 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #46 of 58
[size=12.727272033691406px]Yeah, I don't think you can really judge any headphones on only one song. For a fair assessment, and despite it being difficult to arrange for most, I'd say it takes at least a few days. It's also beneficial to test them out with different genres to be able to accurately discern their unique strengths and weaknesses.[/size]
Quote:
Do you think the LCD-3s would work as well with Hybrid as they would with Above & Beyond or Armin?

I know they sound better for all of those artists in my system.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:
[size=12.727272033691406px]Yeah, I don't think you can really judge any headphones on only one song. For a fair assessment, and despite it being difficult to arrange for most, I'd say it takes at least a few days. It's also beneficial to test them out with different genres to be able to accurately discern their unique strengths and weaknesses.[/size]

Definitely agree with that. Absolutely loved the HE-500 the first time I heard them. When I got LCD-2 later, I was quite unimpressed the first time I heard. Gave them couple of days and once you get used to them, they are quite good to listen to. Their reduced treble can make them seem dull at first, but after a bit of use you get used to it and their imaging capabilities start to come out. Having said that, their treble although even after the adjusting period, still couldn't reach the HE-500.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #48 of 58
Well, here's to hoping that HedLinez eventually contacts me.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Quote:

Definitely agree with that. Absolutely loved the HE-500 the first time I heard them. When I got LCD-2 later, I was quite unimpressed the first time I heard. Gave them couple of days and once you get used to them, they are quite good to listen to. Their reduced treble can make them seem dull at first, but after a bit of use you get used to it and their imaging capabilities start to come out. Having said that, their treble although even after the adjusting period, still couldn't reach the HE-500.

What amp do you guys use?

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

What amp do you guys use?

Right now I am primarily using the Emotiva Mini-x-a-100 speaker amplifier and the JDS Labs O2.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #51 of 58
You might want to look into the new Fostex TH600's or the 900's if you really want to spend some cash. LCD-2's or D7000's would be my next suggestion.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:
No, but Sears does, which is kinda odd. As far as the LCD-3 goes. They have better treble presence and extension and mids aren't as recessed. But, I don't think the difference warrants double the price tag.

They are actually being sold by HiDef Lifestyle, similar to an Amazon Marketplace vendor. So the return policy may not be the same as Sears... 

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #54 of 58
I agree with comments here regarding the HE-500. While not owning it myself, I have only heard it is better than HE-400 (which I do own) in many aspects, and the HE-400 is hands down amazing at Electronica and Trance music. I can only imagine how great the HE-500 sounds.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #55 of 58
Quote:
i know that one dude on here prefers the cleaner sound  of the d5000 vs the pro 900 for electronic.

i know the pro 900s are comfortable, but can be awkward for some people, the denon definitely have a better fit than the pro 900

Wanna try out my modded pro 900's? I made it for far less than what a d5k goes for nowadays. I use to own an la-2000 for a good 6 months. STL. shiping to CHI. should be cheap.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #56 of 58
Wanna try out my modded pro 900's? I made it for far less than what a d5k goes for nowadays. I use to own an la-2000 for a good 6 months. STL. shiping to CHI. should be cheap.

Thanks but ill pass, ive owned the pro 900 before, good headphone but too bright for me, it gets fatiguing easily. Mids are rather recessed too

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #57 of 58
Quote:
Thanks but ill pass, ive owned the pro 900 before, good headphone but too bright for me, it gets fatiguing easily. Mids are rather recessed too

That's cool. I'm just tryin to find someone that's had or has a d5k, 7k, or sig. dj so I can get some independent verifications that my mods worked. You were decently close to me and judging from your headfi name we enjoy similar music as well, plus you have a high trader feedback. I've auditioned a stock d2k and 7k and owned a la-2000 for a while and at least to my ears my mods were a success. I used to have the same issues you did with it being too bright and recessed mids. After a ton of reading and some cheap mods I really feel like these sound like a d7k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back