Best Headphones for Metal?
Dec 16, 2008 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

deeza

New Head-Fier
Price isn't an issue. I currently own the HD580s and 650s, but people here say they aren't good for metal (even though I don't find them to be bad in any way). Any suggestions?

I listen to:

Symphonic Metal (Within Temptation, Nightwish, Epica, Xandria, After Forever, and Haggard)
Melodic Death Metal (All That Remains, In Flames, Children of Bodom)
Folk Metal (Ensiferum and Fintroll)
Heavy Metal (3 Inches of Blood)
Classical (Beethoven and Mozart)

I don't understand how people say metal is bad on the Sennheisers. I haven't listened to many other headphones, so that could be what it is. It seems amazing to me.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 42
just use what you have... i rock metal through my HD580s just fine

well not right now... my cable decided to be all "screw you" so i have to wait for a new cable so i'm rocking my old headphones (EH2200s)

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand how people say metal is bad on the Sennheisers. I haven't listened to many other headphones, so that could be what it is. It seems amazing to me.

When it comes to high end audio, you're always on a sliding scale between "amazing" and "OMGWTFTOTALLYJAWDROPPING!!!!!!!". Just because you don't find them bad doesn't mean that they can't be better. The Sennheisers don't do metal that well because they don't have as much prat as the Grados and ATHs, which are my favourite metal cans. Metal songs sound dull, boring and lifeless on the HD650 IMHO compared to the better phones. If money is not an object you should get the RS1, it makes a good companion to the HD650. Or even better the Edition 9, it's probably the ultimate metal can thanks to its jawbreaking speed. Or maybe the AD2000, but you might want to consider it as a HD650 replacement than a companion, since it's very well-rounded.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 42
I very much enjoy my Alessandro MS2i for metal. They're lightning fast and detailed and have enough punchy, detailed bass for me. I have had a brief listen to the Edition 9s at a meet a while ago and they didn't really appeal to me. They seemed to be too bassy for my liking, but then that's just me and I only listened for a few minutes, and everyone's tastes are different.

I also have AD900 which are really nice, detailed, and well rounded. Metal sounds fine on these, but the soundstage is pretty large and for metal I really prefer the MS2is because of their prat and in-your-face sound. They're really fun and I'm getting excited just thinking about it
tongue.gif
I wish I'd brought them with me to work today...

That said, I imagine the Grado SR225 would be a good fit as well, and although I haven't heard them, I have read that they are a more polite SR325i (the MS2i are a tweaked 325i) and don't have such screaming highs. Also may be a good choice depending on your budget.

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 42
A nice tube amp would definitely make your HD650 shine with rock, but if price isn't an issue you could get the nice tube amp and the RS-1. Metal (especially All That Remains) sounds incredible through the latter.

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 42
Agree on RS1 (or maybe grados in general, but RS1 is the only grado I've heard at length, except MS2i)

For varied metal listening I find them better than all others i've heard with my rig which include:
AD2000
HD600
HD650
K501
DT880
DT990
MS2i

The RS1 is not the best for every metal recording. The DT990 for example were extreme with Mastodon - Leviathan, but a bit too much treble for a lot of stuff. The AD2000 is also good with metal (excellent prat and speed), but RS1 is slightly better due to better guitar sound (imo).

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 42
I'm gonna buy 'metal cans' too
pro 900 will be my choice

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 42
Grado SR-325i or 225 or 125 or 80 or 60. I listen to metal with my 325i's. Very nice.

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 42
Sony SA5000 for overall metal listening because of their insane speed and detailing, guitars are so clear and easy to follow. Bass is tight and punchy too, though bit lightweighted at the times it is still very extended.

Grado SR225, or Grados generally, for pure in-your-face headbanging. Fantastic sound on electrical guitars and bass is also punchy.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 42
Basically any Grado would fit the bill perfectly. For Symphonic Metal and Death Metal the GS-1000 would fit best imho because of their monumental sound, powerfull bass, large soundstage and of course detail. Not to mention how well they fit classical music.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 42
SA5000s are a new metal recommendation to me, but I can totally see where MaZa is coming from. Neat recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back