Best Headphones for Orchestral Composing
Sep 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

caddie444

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I am looking for opinions on which headphones are the best for use in monitoring orchestral compositions. I currently work with Cubase 6 and various orchestral libraries. My budget is $300ish. I do not need overwhelming bass, but just solid monitoring headphones that do not add anything extra to the sound so I can get a clear picture of what I am creating.

thanks!

Caddie444

P.S. Also any advice regarding a $200ish DAC would also be appreciated :)

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 7
I would highly recommend the Fischer Audio FA-003. They are inexpensive and neutral.

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 7
i use ER4s with sibelius 6

cool.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 7
You can try the K-702, here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/393139/k702-in-the-studio

EDIT: About DAC+ hps amp, the Apogee's are great, the mini DAC, and the Duet/2 (the mini DAC works on PC as well). other good option will be the Grace m902/3. The Apogees and the grace will drive the K-702 well, but if you'll add hps amp like the  SPL's you'll notice the differences.

The K-702 are more for pro studio / mixing, but if you're looking just for some laptop hps, the K271MKll, or the GMP 8.35 will do the job well.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Hello!

I am looking for opinions on which headphones are the best for use in monitoring orchestral compositions. I currently work with Cubase 6 and various orchestral libraries. My budget is $300ish. I do not need overwhelming bass, but just solid monitoring headphones that do not add anything extra to the sound so I can get a clear picture of what I am creating.

thanks!

Caddie444

P.S. Also any advice regarding a $200ish DAC would also be appreciated :)

Sounds like the Etys to me.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 7
He meant Etymotic. They're known for balanced armature IEMs like the ER-4P and ER-4S.

I'm tempted to recommend Stax, but their equipment likely exceeds your budget, especially if vintage setups aren't being sold second-hand at the moment. (Getting a Lambda-series model for $300 or less with a driver unit is tough, but doable if you're in the right place at the right time.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back