Best Headphones Under $200 (Bias Free)
Aug 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AllahLover69

New Head-Fier
Hey I'm looking for the best headphones available for $200 or less. I'd prefer them to be over ear, but on ear is also okay, however I'm not looking for IEMs. The main genres I listen to are: Alternative, Rock/Alternative Rock, Hip-Hop/Rap, and Various EDM genres. Keep in mind, I'm not using an amp; I'm playing directly from my laptop or HTC One M7. I listen to my music primarily at home, but I'd like a pair of headphones I could bring to school and use on road trips etc., but I also don't want the portability to detract from the quality. I also know the head-fi community is generally good about this, but I've seen it crop up quite a bit; PLEASE DON'T BE BIASED. If you're a fanboy of one particular set of cans, I don't want to hear from you unless you have experience with many different headphones.

Thanks - AllahLover69

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 6
  Hey I'm looking for the best headphones available for $200 or less. I'd prefer them to be over ear, but on ear is also okay, however I'm not looking for IEMs. The main genres I listen to are: Alternative, Rock/Alternative Rock, Hip-Hop/Rap, and Various EDM genres. Keep in mind, I'm not using an amp; I'm playing directly from my laptop or HTC One M7. I listen to my music primarily at home, but I'd like a pair of headphones I could bring to school and use on road trips etc., but I also don't want the portability to detract from the quality. I also know the head-fi community is generally good about this, but I've seen it crop up quite a bit; PLEASE DON'T BE BIASED. If you're a fanboy of one particular set of cans, I don't want to hear from you unless you have experience with many different headphones.

Thanks - AllahLover69

I've never used any of the following headphones, but they should be easy for the HTC One M7 to drive.
AKG K545
Shure SRH840
Audio Technica ATH-WS99

but I do own a few other models of AKGs (K242HD, K550) and Audio Technicas (AD700, A900X, W1000X).

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 6
I wont be too specific on the comparisons, but here's my shortlist. (also street price is cheaper than what you see online)

On Ear

Beats Solo 2 - 
Foldable, light, and this new generation sounds pretty darn good, many color options
the other thread has been giving the beats solo 2 a lot of praise, have a look here.

V Moda XS -
Foldable, very sturdy construction (literally built like tanks), the older m80 and these are head fi favorites, sound great

Sennheiser Momentum On ears - 
Pretty good sound, cant fold them, but they look nice, many color options

Sennheiser HD 25 - 
If you can find the old black plastic versions they will be pretty cheap, just remember to go for low impedance ones. another old favorite. the new aluminium ones are quite pricey

Over Ear

V Moda M100 - 
I know these are a bit out of range for your budget but I think they sound really really good, the same v moda construction quality theyve become famous for, and foldable into a very small case

Audio Technica ATH-M50
An old classic. people love how they sound and theyre quite cheap to boot.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 6

Over Ear

V Moda M100 - 
I know these are a bit out of range for your budget but I think they sound really really good, the same v moda construction quality theyve become famous for, and foldable into a very small case

Audio Technica ATH-M50
An old classic. people love how they sound and theyre quite cheap to boot.

I've been considering these two headphones quite closely, and researching them both pretty thoroughly. I do not currently have the money, I have about $180 to spend. Keep in mind I'm a high school student without a job. However, I could probably get the money in a few months for the V-Modas. Would you say the upgrade from the Audio Technicas is worth the wait? Furthermore, if I were to get the Audio Technicas, should I get the M50s or the M50Xs?

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 6
Upgrade is not necessarily the right word. I think it's better to try both, see which sound signature you like better. In this hobby more expensive doesn't always necessarily mean they're better. It's very subjective what sound we all like personally.

However, I have to mention again that v Modas have excellent build quality, plus they have a lifetime guarantee to purchase a new pair for half the price if yours are broken and out of warranty. Check it out on their website. Plus they're very sturdy and foldable, easily can handle being tossed around inside your backpack. (Still use the case to be safe)

That being said I have not heard m50s myself so I can't compare the sound. I do own m100s and I use them daily at home. Hope that helps

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you everyone, this thread has definitely affected my decision. I'm going to start a new thread on whether I should buy the ATH-M50s or V-Moda M-100s in my situation. Thank you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back