Best hybrid between DT880 and HD650?
Sep 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

yokken

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all, got some DT880/250s 2 weeks ago and I'm loving them. Currently using a Fiio E17 as a DAC and amp. I'm looking to get an ODAC+O2 but I might just get the ODAC and wait for the ODA to come out. I've had some HD280s for about 5 years now and they served me well, but I stopped using them because they clamped too hard. The DT880s are like the exact opposite -- amazingly comfortable. I got some Sennheiser Momentums as well, but ended up returning them because the earcups were just a tad too small and made my ears hurt. I was sad to see them go, because I really enjoyed their sound signature and of course their looks. I listen to primarily electronic/trance/dance music, not necessarily dubstep but usually stuff with a fair amount of bass and treble. I love my female vocals which is where the DT880s are lacking, if only slightly. The highs are amazing on the DT880s and the bass is accurate, which is a tad lacking as well, despite the texture. They are fast, and never fail to get my feet tapping and my head bobbing with some Infected Mushroom or Armin van Buuren.

I want some slightly warmer circumaural headphones like the Momentums that aren't too dark, aren't muddy, aren't boomy, but have enough punch and warmth to bring out vocals and bass. Stuff like Bon Iver is fairly warm-sounding and the DT880s make it sound a tad dry. I want something with a bit of color, but still quick enough to keep up with the likes of Infected Mushroom from time to time. I'm willing to spend *up to* $400, provided I read enough positive reviews of any suggested headphones. So far I've read into the HD600, HD650, DT250 and Ultrasone 900. It would be nice to have some closed-back so I can isolate my music from those around me (possibly at work) and/or isolate myself from those around me (seriously, screw lawnmowers). I'm open to semi-open or open if they really are what I'm looking for.

TL;DR: Need some comfy slightly warm/laid-back (but fairly quick) circumaural cans to make dance, rap and acoustic sound great, but still perform admirably for the likes of Infected Mushroom and other trance. Punchy bass with crisp (but not cold) highs and forward/sparkly/beautiful vocals.

Someone please help me. I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I'd love to have a choice depending on my music. I have 2 weeks left to return the Beyers if I get new cans that satisfy ALL of my requirements. I doubt I will ever find those, but there's gotta be something close...

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 16
Dang, that was fast. I'll take a look. Most people on Amazon are comparing them to Beats... useless. I'm off to bed but I'll read more about them tomorrow. Thanks!

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 16
Wow, no other suggestions? :frowning2:

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 16
There's some nice reviews for the HE-400, but I'm not a big fan of how they look and people say they're pretty heavy and not super comfortable. Any other contenders?

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
There's some nice reviews for the HE-400, but I'm not a big fan of how they look and people say they're pretty heavy and not super comfortable. Any other contenders?

I said the same exact thing, trust me they are worth looking beyond that. I wouldn't dismiss them if you are looking for the hybrid.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 16
They are heavy, but they are comfortable.  The weight is distributed well, so it's not like they're bearing down on you.

If you value aesthetics for an indoors only headphone over their sound, then I really can't help you.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 16
Seems to me the HE400s are still having significant QC issues....I've been waiting patiently to try a pair, but the 400s seem to have an awfully high failure rate. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 16
Only for the first batch.  About the only issue that's going on now is the fact that they keep changing their sound signature (maybe)?  I havn't heard too many complaints about failing drivers as of late, though.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 16
I'll read more into them then. I'm looking for a pair of stylish headphones as well, probably gonna get the M-100s when they're available for purchase. But I want something just a tad more laid back than the Beyers. I love their sound, but it's just a little cold for long night listening. I want something to soothe me. Are the HD600s just not very clear? It's hard for me to like the sound when I know there are subtleties that I'm not hearing.

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 16
Screw it. Bit the bullet on some HE-400s from Head-Direct. Got some velour pads for 'em too. After reading up a lot more it seems they're pretty damn good. I'll mod the headband later on if they feel like they're sinking into my head. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 16
I don't have zero tolerance for discomfort... I wore the HD280s for 3-4 years before thinking hey, these are kinda tight. My jaw feels a little sore. My saliva glands tingle. Then I read online that they're widely regarded as vice grips. The DT880s were a huge step up. The HE-400s might be a bit tighter or heavier but I'm sure they'll be better than the HD280s.

Hey! 50 posts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back