BEST IEM FOR J-POP/J-ROCK (BUDGET $500 APPROX.)
Dec 28, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #31 of 65
The SM3 has the better soundstage and the mids are a bit more forward compared to the W4 and both have the same amount of clarity and transparency imo.  I think the SM3 also has a little bit better dynamics and the 3D imaging is top notch, your encompassed in the music.  

Now the UM3X has more forward mids than both the SM3 and W4 imo but the soundstage isn't large as the other two either.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #32 of 65
Quote:
Between the W4 and SM3, which one has bigger sounstage, more forward mids, better clarity and which one is more airy/transparent?

To my ears the SM3 has the bigger soundstage and is more airy, while the W4 has slightly more forward mids and clarity. W4 is the better choice in technical terms but you won't go wrong with either, just a matter of personal preference.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #33 of 65
Thanks. Which one does better with rock and female vocals?

Do they sound better than the eq-7's. The reason I ask is because I already really like the eq-7's and it seems to do well with everything I throw at it. I also like their sig and the fact that they are forgiving to low quality tracks as well.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #34 of 65
I had the e-Q7 and e-Q5 and I think the SM3 is better than both with vocals especially female vocals, Adele sound amazing on the SM3 and I don't even really like her music much.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #35 of 65
Thanks. Which one does better with rock and female vocals?

Do they sound better than the eq-7's. The reason I ask is because I already really like the eq-7's and it seems to do well with everything I throw at it. I also like their sig and the fact that they are forgiving to low quality tracks as well.

You will be better to keep yr choice selections within to either the CK100PRO or FitEar F111. I do not recommend picking up the Westone 4's or SM3 v2 for the artist you listen, you will regret it trust me as I'm an avid J-pop lover like you as shared with you during our past conversations last yr, and since over here in Singapore we get chances to audition IEMs easily, I have tried these 2 IEMs out before and they do not fit my taste well for many artistes, especially those J-rock bands you have listed on your first post.

Westone 4 = inherent flaws with the midrange in that presentation is not upfront enough, highs is better than UM3x but is an overall boring IEM for female vocals to me. Is considered a well-balanced and technical IEM to me, but musicality wise falls short when compared to even the UM3x and obviously ranks way lower than CK100/CK100PRO to me for female vocalist.

Earsonics SM3 v2 = Good liquid/lushed midrange presentation. Not recessed as well so it's pretty good for listening to female vocalists. BUT has very very serious inherent flaws with lower-mids in that it sounds too dense, and highs are roll-off compared to Westone 4 or even the CK100/CK100PRO. Clarity/transparency is not something I would relate to the SM3 v2, if you want to feel/enjoy the energy of those J-rock band tunes in your japanese music especially those cymbals/electric guitar, you better not pick this IEM as this IEM is weak when it comes to rock/metal genres as mentioned by someone else already.

My 2 cents.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #36 of 65
Thanks for clarifying that for me my friend.I am going to wait a bit later on my purchase because I might get to demo the W4 in January. It doesn't seem like I have much choices. I am really interested in the AT's but they just seem to be the most risky since there are not much reviews about them, and they also have a love it or hate it sound. The Sony's i'm also really interested as well but they lack the isolation I need.

Does the CK100 have good synergy with the Z Walkman? 

Also have you tried the FitEars before, they seem to be getting good reviews so far.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #37 of 65
hmm from your description of your desired sound signature and presentation the SM3v2 and UM3x seems to be the closest to these descriptions

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #38 of 65
Quote:
You will be better to keep yr choice selections within to either the CK100PRO or FitEar F111. I do not recommend picking up the Westone 4's or SM3 v2 for the artist you listen, you will regret it trust me as I'm an avid J-pop lover like you as shared with you during our past conversations last yr, and since over here in Singapore we get chances to audition IEMs easily, I have tried these 2 IEMs out before and they do not fit my taste well for many artistes, especially those J-rock bands you have listed on your first post.
Westone 4 = inherent flaws with the midrange in that presentation is not upfront enough, highs is better than UM3x but is an overall boring IEM for female vocals to me. Is considered a well-balanced and technical IEM to me, but musicality wise falls short when compared to even the UM3x and obviously ranks way lower than CK100/CK100PRO to me for female vocalist.
Earsonics SM3 v2 = Good liquid/lushed midrange presentation. Not recessed as well so it's pretty good for listening to female vocalists. BUT has very very serious inherent flaws with lower-mids in that it sounds too dense, and highs are roll-off compared to Westone 4 or even the CK100/CK100PRO. Clarity/transparency is not something I would relate to the SM3 v2, if you want to feel/enjoy the energy of those J-rock band tunes in your japanese music especially those cymbals/electric guitar, you better not pick this IEM as this IEM is weak when it comes to rock/metal genres as mentioned by someone else already.
My 2 cents.

I couldn't disagree more with your description of the SM3 V2.  The lower-mids aren't to dense sounding and the highs don't roll off they're just very smooth and I can hear every detail in the treble just as good as with the T-Peos H-100 which has very detailed bright highs.  Just because they're a warm IEM doesn't mean the lack clarity or transparency because I think they're very transparent.  I'm not a huge J-Pop listener at all but I have heard some and the SM3 would work very well with the style, I listen to a lot of electronic music and the SM3 is amazing with things like trance and progressive that have synths like in a lot of J-Pop.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #40 of 65
I wouldn't choose the SM3 over the EX1000, CK100, or even eq-7's for J-pop/rock.

IMO, the sound signature on the SM3 doesn't lend it well to the genre as a whole; it's really... weird. Kind of like a 5.1 surround-sound set up, just a little more claustrophobic. The midrange is just very odd.

My recommendation would be the EX1000 or CK100. EX1000 if isolation isn't a big concern; CK100 if it is. That being said, I have no idea what the CK100 sounds like in comparison to the CK100Pro.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #41 of 65
Quote:
I wouldn't choose the SM3 over the EX1000, CK100, or even eq-7's for J-pop/rock.

IMO, the sound signature on the SM3 doesn't lend it well to the genre as a whole; it's really... weird. Kind of like a 5.1 surround-sound set up, just a little more claustrophobic. The midrange is just very odd.

My recommendation would be the EX1000 or CK100. EX1000 if isolation isn't a big concern; CK100 if it is. That being said, I have no idea what the CK100 sounds like in comparison to the CK100Pro.

I can understand you think the 3D imaging sounding weird as some do heck I was thinking of selling them after the first few hours because I had never heard anything like that but now all other IEM's that I thought were really good just sound thin and narrow.  I don't see how it can sound claustrophobic at all, they are very spacious and the soundstage on like the GR07, TF10 and my Heaven IV which are all known to have good width sound much more slim now compared to the SM3.

Some don't think the SM3 would be good for J-Pop while others do, go figure.  Everyones different and I think the SM3 is perfect for that style just like it is for EDM like trance and progressive.  Compared to the UM3X the SM3 has a more spacious soundstage imo with an over all better presentation but I know others will disagree and say the opposite and that's just fine.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #42 of 65
Quote:

I can understand you think the 3D imaging sounding weird as some do heck I was thinking of selling them after the first few hours because I had never heard anything like that but now all other IEM's that I thought were really good just sound thin and narrow.  I don't see how it can sound claustrophobic at all, they are very spacious and the soundstage on like the GR07, TF10 and my Heaven IV which are all known to have good width sound much more slim now compared to the SM3.

Some don't think the SM3 would be good for J-Pop while others do, go figure.  Everyones different and I think the SM3 is perfect for that style just like it is for EDM like trance and progressive.  Compared to the UM3X the SM3 has a more spacious soundstage imo with an over all better presentation but I know others will disagree and say the opposite and that's just fine.

From my experience, I would say they were claustrophobic. With other IEMs that have a large soundstage, it's very linear (up, down, left, right, front and back) whereas the SM3 has a more constrictive soundstage that seemed to change depending on what I was listening to. Some think that type of "adaptive" soundstage is a good thing, others, such as myself, don't like it very much.

That being said, the SM3 is one of my favorite BA IEMs due to how cohesive it can sound given the right music. One genre where I don't think the SM3 is very cohesive is j-pop/rock because the upper frequencies were lacking and bass seemed a bit too much.

Have you tried the EX1000 or CK100?

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #43 of 65
I think the SM3 really shines with EDM, much more so than most other mid-centric IEM's I've heard.  I used to not be such a midrange person but over that last 6 months or so I've found that they work great with electronic music because 75% to 80% of the music is in the mids especially with EDM like trance and progressive.  The soundstage and 3D imaging also make EDM sound amazing so the SM3 has got me hooked.  

I know this is a much cheaper IEM than what the OP is looking for but the TDK BA200 would work great for J-Pop because of how good they isolate vocals especially female vocals. They do a wonderful job of bringing them forward away from the rest of the presentation and the warm spacious sound I think would work well with the music the OP likes.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #45 of 65
See that's how I feel about the SM3, I think the W4 is a great sounding but imo the SM3's mids are better suited for female vocals than the W4 but its 6 to 1 half a dozen the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back