Best IEM tips?
Feb 11, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #736 of 3,403
The Final Audio tips that came with my A8000 are really nice.

The groove inner tube is very flexible and easy to out onto a nozzle.

Also the rubber outside is a little soft and very grippy. They feel like the rubber of a ping pong paddle right after you have cleaned/sprayed and done its maintenance.

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #737 of 3,403
My little score whilst in Japan at the moment. So much easier than trying to order back home in Australia individually.
Looking forward to testing them out as it will be my first experience with a few of these.
848BB7CC-EFB9-48D1-9605-9DBA15742B52.jpeg

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #738 of 3,403
My Sugru customized Spinfit tips are the absolute best tips I've used, and I have to say that I also prefer them even to my custom in-ear monitors.

Given the fit and sound quality I can achieve with this hack, I don't ever see myself purchasing customs again.

Comply aren't bad in terms of comfort, but they are nowhere close to these in terms of durability and sound quality. And, I hated having to replace the Complys regularly. These will definitely last much longer.

Earbud (2).jpg

Earbud2 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #739 of 3,403
My Sugru customized Spinfit tips are the absolute best tips I've used, and I have to say that I also prefer them even to my custom in-ear monitors.

Given the fit and sound quality I can achieve with this hack, I don't ever see myself purchasing customs again.

Comply aren't bad in terms of comfort, but they are nowhere close to these in terms of durability and sound quality. And, I hated having to replace the Complys regularly. These will definitely last much longer.

I’ve thought about doing this, but always assumed it wouldn’t work all that great because of the cure time.

Every time you open your mouth to talk or eat would change the size and shape of your ear canal.

Did you have any issues with that? Any tips or advice to ensure success?

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #740 of 3,403
I’ve thought about doing this, but always assumed it wouldn’t work all that great because of the cure time.

Every time you open your mouth to talk or eat would change the size and shape of your ear canal.

Did you have any issues with that? Any tips or advice to ensure success?

They cure in about 30 minutes, but require 24 hours to completely harden, and I kept them in for at least an hour when letting them cure initially. After that I regularly put them in and took them out to listen, without any issues.

Since I'm using them with Jabra Elites though, I did keep them out of the charging case for the full 24 hours to prevent any deforming since they are a tight fit inside the case now.

I used more Sugru than I thought I would need, then I cut the excess with a knife from the bottom where it squished out (you can see this in the second pic), after 24 hours. It took a couple of tries because I realized on the first attempt that I didn't use enough Sugru.

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #741 of 3,403
They cure in about 30 minutes, but require 24 hours to completely harden, and I kept them in for at least an hour when letting them cure initially. After that I regularly put them in and took them out to listen, without any issues.

Since I'm using them with Jabra Elites though, I did keep them out of the charging case for the full 24 hours to prevent any deforming since they are a tight fit inside the case now.

I used more Sugru than I thought I would need, then I cut the excess with a knife from the bottom where it squished out (you can see this in the second pic), after 24 hours. It took a couple of tries because I realized on the first attempt that I didn't use enough Sugru.

No Sugru where I am. Does Blutak alternatives like those made by 3M or UHT work?

Feb 12, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #743 of 3,403
No Sugru where I am. Does Blutak alternatives like those made by 3M or UHT work?

You can make Sugru out of pure silicone caulking (like available at any hardware store for just a few dollars). It's how they make Sugru anyways. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do it. It's extremely easy. When you make it yourself, you can easily tweak the recipe slightly to adjust the cure time.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #744 of 3,403

1 more question - do you have a problem with the tips rotating slightly, such that you have to regularly line the tips back up?

In other words, imagine once they are cured that the 'top' is at the 12 o clock position. If through normal handling (such as wrapping them up and putting them in a storage case) the tip rotates to 3 o clock or 10 o clock, etc. Well, they won't fit your ear canal exactly the same, since the Sugru custom-fitting was done with the tip at 12 o clock. (I hope you understand what I mean).

So how often do you have to re-orientate the tips, and do you have a method to ensure that they are both exactly lined up to where they fit perfectly (like a little tick mark on the tip and IEM)?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #746 of 3,403
1 more question - do you have a problem with the tips rotating slightly, such that you have to regularly line the tips back up?

In other words, imagine once they are cured that the 'top' is at the 12 o clock position. If through normal handling (such as wrapping them up and putting them in a storage case) the tip rotates to 3 o clock or 10 o clock, etc. Well, they won't fit your ear canal exactly the same, since the Sugru custom-fitting was done with the tip at 12 o clock. (I hope you understand what I mean).

So how often do you have to re-orientate the tips, and do you have a method to ensure that they are both exactly lined up to where they fit perfectly (like a little tick mark on the tip and IEM)?

I was wondering that too. They surely cure in a certain orientation, which makes them needing a little more effort to put on.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #747 of 3,403

No issues with orientation at all. They stay in place, but they also turn freely around the nozzle so I just put them in and twist the earbud until they seat properly.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #748 of 3,403
No issues with orientation at all. They stay in place, but they also turn freely around the nozzle so I just put them in and twist the earbud until they seat properly.

Ah I see. Makes perfect sense -> self-orientating

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #749 of 3,403

How did you apply the sugru, and did you still connect the tips to the IEM as well? Trying to understand the process in doing this.

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #750 of 3,403
How did you apply the sugru, and did you still connect the tips to the IEM as well? Trying to understand the process in doing this.

Fold back the tip so that it's inside out. Wrap a rolled strip of Sugru (like a snake) around the nozzle. Fold back the tip so that it covers the Sugru. Attach the tip to the earbud then shove it in your ear hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back