Best in-ear, Iphone control (with mic), gym/jogging headphones
Jul 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DiscoBurger

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been perusing the forums trying to find a an answer to my "on-the-go-gym-phones" problem. I currently use the stock iPhone headphones (you know those white ones that come with the iPods)...I only use these still because they have iPhone controls and a mic on them, this feature is a must for me. I also use these all day everyday and all my 3 pairs are getting worn out..its time for new IEMs. I have been looking at IEMs for 200 or less, but I am not really willing to spend more because I am going to beat the crap out of them and I don't want to ruin a pair of $500 headphones. I like the shure headphones, but I am worried about the over-the-ear cord situation i could see that popping off over my ear while running. In terms of sound quality I want these to be easy to drive and loud in the low end (bass is a must). Any suggestions that people have or any guidance anyone could offer would be appreciated...if anyone knows about the shures and jogging with that over ear cord let me know. thanks! 

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 15
I was thinking

Shure-se215, se315--like that the cable is detachable/replaceable worry about the cord popping over the top of my ear when I run
Vmoda- Remix
Klipsch- s4i, s4i rugged (but I don't like the colors I like neutral looking phones), s5i rugged (I heard its heavy and may pop out)

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 15
Cords will not pop off while running.  I can guarantee that :p  That said, Shure, Westone, and even Phonak are all good choices.  However, be aware that most IEMs and headphones tend to cause bone conduction while running/jogging.  There is no headphone that won't mind you.  Now, depending on where you're jogging/running, you may want to avoid isolating headphones (especially while outdoors).  If you're in the gym you may want isolation.  Shure, Westone, and even Etymotic will do great with isolation.  Phonak is slightly worse with it, but tolerable for the gym as well as outdoors.  Something like the Moshi Clarus may be a good choice if you're going outdoors as they don't isolate. 

S4 Rugged (and S5) may have a little weight to them for running.  I haven't heard any Klipsch headphones yet, but will soon.  The S3, S4 and S5 series all use the same drivers.  The reference 4 series also uses the same drivers as the S4.  The ProMedia also uses the same drivers.  All actually share similar (or exact same) housings.  If you want to go the Klipsch route, I'd go after the S4i or ProMedia as they tend to be much cheaper. 

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Tinyman I'll check out those Moshi's out...I own a pair of Phonak's and I hateeee them. The plastic "wire guide" that holds the headphone cord behind my ear is always losing grip of the cord and having to be replaced and the headphones just don't sound good enough without an amp. Those are honestly what turned me off to behind the ear designs..but I have not heard this complaint of Shure's or really from anyone else so it may be time to check those behind the ear numbers out again. Or maybe just go with the S4i rugged Klipsch and deal with the bright colors...I have heard the S4i weighs less so it won't pop out like the s5i rugged will. 

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 15
oh and just to be clear I do run, but I mostly lift in the gym so listening to my bones jingle through some IEMs isn't the biggest issue. Having said that how much sweat does it take to ruin a pair of Shure's because I am leaning towards getting a pair of those se215-315s. 

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
oh and just to be clear I do run, but I mostly lift in the gym so listening to my bones jingle through some IEMs isn't the biggest issue. Having said that how much sweat does it take to ruin a pair of Shure's because I am leaning towards getting a pair of those se215-315s. 

One drop.

They are run off of electricity. And can be ruined by water.

Jim

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
One drop.

They are run off of electricity. And can be ruined by water.

Jim

I'd like to clarify this answer...  One drop of sweat that touches an electrical component and has enough salt (as well as other minerals) to conduct.  Water in its most pure form doesn't have the ions to conduct.  So two things must happen.

Concerning the Phonak fit, try taking off the ear guides.  I've gotten much better results without using them.  They just get in the way. 

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 15
Maybe you actually need two sets of IEMs - one for the gym and another for all other uses. I use MEElec A151's as my gym phone - good enough SQ, but not so expensive to lose/break, and Fischer DBA-02's with a Westone cable (or JVC-FXT90's occasionally) for everything else. (No amps here, either.) MEElec also has plenty of IEMs with phone ("--P") controls if that is a must have for gym use. if you really want just one IEM, the A161P might be an excellent choice.

I prefer to wear all my IEMs over-ear to eliminate microphonics, and all of these 'phones are quite secure once I've found the right tips for my ears.

Joker had a table in Post #8 of his mammoth review compendium that indicated which have a mic/remote option. Couldn't find it last time I looked, however.

Another approach to mic/remote controls would be an IEM with cables that could be replaced with a cable having that feature. Both Shure and Westone have that capability. Amazon also has inexpensive inline controls like this one, but I find that all the extra cable is a bother.

http://www.amazon.com/Cellet-57787-Adaptor-Switch-Microphone/dp/B000OL5EFG/ref=sr_1_28?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1343682078&sr=1-28&keywords=Microphone

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 15
^ you know what defrost you are completely right...I don't jog a lot I may as well use some crappy earbuds when I do that and buy some outstanding IEMs for everyday life and lifting. thank you guys for all your help

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 15
I'm also looking for an all-around earphones with mic/remote that I can use at home, work, gym, while running, etc.  I need to replace my Denon AH-C560R because they keep on breaking, including the one that Denon sent to me.  Right now, I'm looking at either UE 500vi or Klipsch Image S4i Rugged.  Both seemed to be really good based on reviews that I've read so far... any thoughts or other recommendations?  I'm looking for something under $100.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm also looking for an all-around earphones with mic/remote that I can use at home, work, gym, while running, etc.  I need to replace my Denon AH-C560R because they keep on breaking, including the one that Denon sent to me.  Right now, I'm looking at either UE 500vi or Klipsch Image S4i Rugged.  Both seemed to be really good based on reviews that I've read so far... any thoughts or other recommendations?  I'm looking for something under $100.

Have you looked at |joker|'s reviews? The S4i wasn't great in his estimation. Look at what he has to say about the Fischer SBA03, which is equivalent to the MEElec A161P, except the MEElec is cheaper, has a mic/remote, with great MEElec warranty and customer service.

(I have no association with MEElectronics except as a satisfied customer on several occasions.)

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 15
You know what I took the leap..I found a pair of klipsch x10i lou reed (purple, yeah but I like it lol) on amazon for 230 new and I grabbed them. I had to expedite shipping because I wanted it NOW and I just got them hours ago. I love them. They are great. The cord makes a lot of noise when you walk but they sound great unamped and are just what I was looking for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back