Best mid range headphone for rock? Grado or Beyer?
Nov 17, 2006 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Davesrose

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone,

Thanks to head-fi, I'm doing a headphone exchange to try out the Grado sound. I was forwarned about coming from Sennheisers to expect big in your face brightness....and that I'd be a trooper if I didn't take off Grado cans within 30 minutes of music. Currently, I listen to the HD595 for rock....with my purely digital (SACD + MicroAmp), they sound pretty sweet for alternative, punk, and hard rock. They are pretty bright, but also have a good bass response and soundstage (which I seem to really like for regular 4 member bands). So now I'm listening to Grados for the first time: the SR60s....they're not shattering my eardrums! What's more, they don't seem as exciting as the 595s on my system. Since they don't have a soundstage, they are more "in your head"....but the mids don't seem as well defined, and bass is pretty rolled off. Baring using a warm sounding amp that might make 595s muddy, I'm wondering if it's soundstage that makes some people ho hum about it for rock.

So since the SR60 doesn't seem hard core to me, I'm thinking I'd better try a mid-level rock can. Looking at headroom's site, it looks like it might be either the SR225 or the Beyer DT880. I assume the SR225 is like the SR60 in comfort and all, but hopefully has more defined mids as well as some bass. I know its brightness is supposed to be the SR60 on steriods. But those Beyers have me really curious.....I've heard that Beyer has a soundstage as well as having good bass and treble. In fact, the 880s frequency graph looks pretty sweet. This is for the 06 version. So I pose to Head-fi, which is more exciting for rock, and why? I ask why, because it seems that preferences for rock seem to be more about forwardness rather then tonality.

Nov 17, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

So I pose to Head-fi, which is more exciting for rock, and why? I ask why, because it seems that preferences for rock seem to be more about forwardness rather then tonality.

Live-like sound, forwardness. Been listening my friends jamming and hearing live concerts, SR-225 sound is quite realistic and headbanging. I already posted this in HD595 thread, but bowl pads are what bring the aggressiviness up, and open the soundstage little bit. Still small and in-your-head, but instrument separation is sharp and clear. Lots of clarity and definition. And some EQ to subbass and you are good to go.

Nov 17, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 16
Yep, and I responded already to that thread
smily_headphones1.gif
Will just keep the dialogue here
eggosmile.gif
Does seem like the 225 would be more hard core then the 60s. So bowl pads with the 225s seem like something to try! I guess since Grados are easy to drive, there's no clipping that goes on with any EQ? Currently listening sans EQ, but straight CD player to HR amp. Will be getting a Benchmark DAC1 any day now. From what I've heard, it's pretty cold sounding (so good for my Senns)...may not jive right with Grados then. Do have an old graphic equalizer at my folks (it's a pretty good one for two channels). So I guess I'll try dusting it off to include in my headphone rig....Sennheiser rigs certainly don't synergize so well with Grados....hopefully some EQing might help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Live-like sound, forwardness. Been listening my friends jamming and hearing live concerts, SR-225 sound is quite realistic and headbanging. I already posted this in HD595 thread, but bowl pads are what bring the aggressiviness up, and open the soundstage little bit. Still small and in-your-head, but instrument separation is sharp and clear. Lots of clarity and definition. And some EQ to subbass and you are good to go.

Nov 17, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 16
I have some current DT 880s and for rock...most of the time I prefer my MS-1s which are probably the most mellow Grados of all. They don't have the clarity or the soundstage of the DT 880s, but they are punchier.

Since I noticed you had K501s briefly (I've had a pair for about three weeks), I can tell you the Beyerdynamic does not have quite as expansive a soundstage (but it has much more of one than any Grado) and has better, deeper bass and more extended highs than the K501. I think they put you a bit closer to the stage, too. Of course, this is all said with the "to my ears" caveat.

I have some K601s on the way. I will probably sell the pair (K601s or DT 880s) that I like less after evaluating the AKGs, since I expect more similarities than differences.

Nov 17, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 16
You can buy Bowl pads from Todd IIRC. Put them on to SR60. It practically turns them to SR80 IIRC. Worth of the try.

And Grados respond EQ really well, if you stay in sane amounts of course. In my Elite Pro's own EQ, +4db to 32hz and +2db to 62Hz and bass already becomes more lively.

Nov 17, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by auris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some current DT 880s and for rock...most of the time I prefer my MS-1s which are probably the most mellow Grados of all. They don't have the clarity or the soundstage of the DT 880s, but they are punchier.

Since I noticed you had K501s briefly (I've had a pair for about three weeks), I can tell you the Beyerdynamic does not have quite as expansive a soundstage (but it has much more of one than any Grado) and has better, deeper bass and more extended highs than the K501. I think they put you a bit closer to the stage, too. Of course, this is all said with the "to my ears" caveat.

Humm.....sounds like the 880s might be similar to the 595s then. To my ears, the 501s have a huge soundstage. So much so that I like the 595s more for symphonies. The 595s have a more up front soundstage....sounds like the Beyers are more similar: might have more detail in a few areas.

So I'm looking at Grados, and I gotta admit that the 325s look so much better from an aesthetic issue. Also notice on the FR graph, that they have a bit more bass. Looks like either the 225 or 325 is more of an opposite to the 595 in tonality....

graphCompare.php

Nov 17, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Looks like either the 225 or 325 is more of an opposite to the 595 in tonality....

Whole Grado line is POLAR opposite of all Sennheisers....

AKG and Beyers struggle somewhere in the middle.
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 16
Yeah man!!! SR60s are probably just laid back for Grados, so if I'm going to go hard core, might as well do it as such.

So after my HD650 purchase (to complete my Sennheiser circle), I think I am going to try getting the SR325 (also notice it has a bit more bass then the 225....which would be nice for most my rock)

Quote:

AKG and Beyers struggle somewhere in the middle.
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 16
Well 325 is considered brightest of all Grados, no personal experience. Im sure it will show good deal of difference to SR60, though im not sure if its good headphone to go. It is a headphone with most mixed reactions of all Grados. Some love it to death, some hate it with utmost disgust (even some Grado fans!) Though there are two 325, original 325 and new 325i. I dont know what difference they have.

Nov 17, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 16
Headroom is selling the 325i....don't know if these frequency graphs are for it, or the original 325....

Since actually listening to more headphones, I can tell that FR graphs don't really reveal a whole lot (for example, the HD600 and 595 share almost identical graphs, but because of driver placement...they sound so different). But it does look like the 325s have more consistent treble, not as much lower mids, but more deep bass. Assume this might be perceived as such too, since they share the same bowl pads right?

Guess I'll just have to listen to the 225 and 325 to see!!

Quote:

Well 325 is considered brightest of all Grados, no personal experience. Im sure it will show good deal of difference to SR60, though im not sure if its good headphone to go. It is a headphone with most mixed reactions of all Grados. Some love it to death, some hate it with utmost disgust (even some Grado fans!) Though there are two 325, original 325 and new 325i. I dont know what difference they have.

graphCompare.php

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

explains why I couldn't get rid of my 595s fast enough, they sounded really strange to me, like the sound was coming from all over the place, kinda like close noises sounded far away and far away noises sounded closer than they should be.

The 225s sound great to me, can't wait to amp them.

hard for me to explain, im pretty new that this stuff :p

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 16
Must have been its soundstage that you didn't like.....compared to other AKGs and Sennheisers, it actually has the smallest soundstage. I like its soundstage for a lot of rock, because it doesn't sound too artificial to me. Sounds more like a recording studo rather then an auditorium (which a 501 does for me). Since Beyers seem to be similar, it looks like I'd better try the 225s or 325s for really hard core rock......does sound like they're more hard core then the SR60s (which just are not as impactful as the 595s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by codine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
explains why I couldn't get rid of my 595s fast enough, they sounded really strange to me, like the sound was coming from all over the place, kinda like close noises sounded far away and far away noises sounded closer than they should be.

The 225s sound great to me, can't wait to amp them.

hard for me to explain, im pretty new that this stuff :p

Nov 18, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by codine /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never noticed that with the HD595s but the HD555 seemed like that all the time to me and it felt like instruments were moving around in the soundstage. One of the strangest things I've ever heard.

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 16
I've heard both and the Grado is definitely more exciting. However, the Beyer is more balanced. If you want to go somewhere in the middle of the 225 and the 880, I'd suggest giving the new 990 a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back