Best open over ear headphones in my situation?
Aug 20, 2022 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

PoorBastard

Head-Fier
Maybe I have a mid-life crisis & I've decided to make myself a birthday present :)

What are the best over ear open headphones in $2000 budget (including taxes, i.e. ~1800-1900 pre-taxes)? :)

My amplifier is xDuoo TA-10R, 2W @ 32Ohm and I'm not willing to change it. I love it. I've just got it as a winner in a big battle of several DAC/AMPs in the $800 budget.
And I don't have a separate budget for changing it anyway.

90% of the time I listen to music
I want excellent sound stage, bass, mid, trebles, details, reference sound.
Genres: mostly Hard Progressive Rock, Electronic, Classic

PS. Here's the result of my tests:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-open-over-ear-headphones-in-my-situation.964578/post-17122000

Kind regards,
Pavel

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 82
If you're set on new headphones, the HD800S of Hifiman HE1000 v2 are both worth looking at.

The 800S will have the wider soundstage but the bass impact isn't the best. It's sufficient unless you really want thumping bass. It works well for those genres, but I personally enjoy something with more low end.

The ZMF Auteur is another excellent option. These are more natural and real sounding.

If you're buying used, there are more possibilities, like the Meze Empyrean. But these are not reference tuned, they're fun and easy to listen to without throwing too much detail.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 82
Only going to talk about what I own, Sennheiser and Audeze. Sennheiser HD800 and since you have a $2k price range a new pair of HD800s is hard to beat.
I personally like planar better, and even though I own a pair of HD800s I don't pick them up that often. Audeze makes some very nice phones, I own a LCD-2 Classic and LCD-5, and love both, but the LCD-2 is heavy and I did notice that. That might be a issue with, say, a LCD-X Audeze.
Safe choice HD800s.

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 82
Hey OP, there isn't a clear answer to your question. There is no "best" headphone, especially at your price point. For example, the HD800 excel at classical music due to their amazing soundstage and clarity, but may not be the best choice for prog rock compared to a zmf auteur classic or focal clear.

If you have the opportunity I would demo some of the choices in your price range. It can be difficult unless you live somewhere where that is possible. All you'll be able to get from this question is what headphones other people like based on their own preferences and their own musical tastes. Worst case scenario you can buy and sell here and on other places; that's what I did to find out more of my musical choices. Also, with your amp I'd be cautious about hifiman. Great headphones, but often power hungry.

Last, you may not know that there is a forum subsection dedicated to suggestions and help like this.

Aug 20, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 82
Hey OP, there isn't a clear answer to your question. There is no "best" headphone, especially at your price point. For example, the HD800 excel at classical music due to their amazing soundstage and clarity, but may not be the best choice for prog rock compared to a zmf auteur classic or focal clear.

If you have the opportunity I would demo some of the choices in your price range. It can be difficult unless you live somewhere where that is possible. All you'll be able to get from this question is what headphones other people like based on their own preferences and their own musical tastes. Worst case scenario you can buy and sell here and on other places; that's what I did to find out more of my musical choices. Also, with your amp I'd be cautious about hifiman. Great headphones, but often power hungry.

Last, you may not know that there is a forum subsection dedicated to suggestions and help like this.
Thank you. Yes, I understand, there's no clear answer. I have the opportunity to try different headphones, I live near NYC. I'm interested in what people suggest, because I will research the most suggested models more deeply and perhaps try them out.

Not sure I understand about the forum subsection. Do you mind giving a link?

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 82
Thank you. Yes, I understand, there's no clear answer. I have the opportunity to try different headphones, I live near NYC. I'm interested in what people suggest, because I will research the most suggested models more deeply and perhaps try them out.

Not sure I understand about the forum subsection. Do you mind giving a link?
I think what @DenverW means is you can read owner impressions of each of these headphones in their respective threads.

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 82
Guys, I've decided I'm not willing to change my DAC/AMP. I love it and I don't want to spend much time choosing & trying other ones. Also, $2000 is my absolute upper limit including taxes. Even $2000 is already insane for me.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #11 of 82
Guys, I've decided I'm not willing to change my DAC/AMP. I love it and I don't want to spend much time choosing & trying other ones. Also, $2000 is my absolute upper limit including taxes. Even $2000 is already insane for me.
We're like Contractors. Give us a timeframe and budget and we'll generally exceed both.

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 82
They're on-ears but for your genres, Grado RS2X and done.

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 82
I think what @DenverW means is you can read owner impressions of each of these headphones in their respective threads.
Actually I was thinking of the whole section in the forums titled, "Introductions, Help, and Recommendations" but that is a great suggestion as well.

If you've got the opportunity to try some items, I would put the original (not mg) focal clear on the list, the arya, the zmf auteur, & hd800 (not hd8xx!) and if you don't mind buying used you could stretch to a utopia, atrium, or verite.

Aug 20, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 82
Which can get you Sennheiser HD800s. $1800 new and about $1000 second hand.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 82
Check Resolve's ranking list, it's one man opinion of course, but still might help you navigate a bit better during your research.

My personal pick would be LCD-X 2021, it's more well rounded for the variety of genres you listed.
Thank you, interesting list.
And yes, Audeze LCD-X is one of the options I want to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back