Best option for ~$150 closed headphones
Jun 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Axiomatic

New Head-Fier
Hey all!

Well, I'm new to the site, and also generally new to the headphone game, so I would love some input from some more experienced enthusiasts. Right now I am looking to buy a good set of headphones for some around-the-house listening. I'd like to get some closed, full-sized headphones for around $150 and I'll probably be buying off of Amazon (buying used is fine). I should probably give you a little insight as far as my musical tastes. The main genres that I listen to would be electronic (Blackmill, Lindsey Stirling), and trip-hop/instrumental (Emancipator, Little People), as well some female vocal from time to time (Ellie Goulding, Made in Heights). I definitely like my bass deep and my highs to sparkle, so I would prefer a set with a v-shaped sig (amp if needed). I've been doing some research and have been looking into a few different options. These include Ultrasone 780/Pro 750, Audio Technica ATH-M50, or Fostex T50RP. So between these, which would be my best option? I'd also like to know which would provide the best comfort, isolation, build quality, or whatever else you guys can tell me. I'm also very open to any new suggestions, but I would like to keep it around $150 (a little more is fine).
All input will be much appreciated!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 6
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Used Beyer DT-770 Pro?

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 6
I can recommend the Ultrasone Pro750 without any hesitation. At the moment you can get them refurb end or in warehouse deals for ales than 150 which makes me think I should get a second pair, just in case. I like them a lot.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I can recommend the Ultrasone Pro750 without any hesitation. At the moment you can get them refurb end or in warehouse deals for ales than 150 which makes me think I should get a second pair, just in case. I like them a lot.

That's good to hear, I was kind of leaning towards the 750s. But now that CJG mentions it, the Beyers sound interesting as well. I'm not sure what effect this has, but the 250 ohm or the 80 ohm? 

Also, how would these perform out of the box? I'll be using a 2011 Macbook Pro, occasionally my iPhone, playing FLAC or ALAC files. How much would I benefit from some sort of amp?

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 6
Hello!

How about two headphones? HD439 and MDR-7506 for your two different kind of genre? HD439 is excellent for electronic music and the MDR-7506 sound great with female vocals...

Billson :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
That's good to hear, I was kind of leaning towards the 750s. But now that CJG mentions it, the Beyers sound interesting as well. I'm not sure what effect this has, but the 250 ohm or the 80 ohm? 

Also, how would these perform out of the box? I'll be using a 2011 Macbook Pro, occasionally my iPhone, playing FLAC or ALAC files. How much would I benefit from some sort of amp?

The DT770 are great as well. I still prefer the Pro750 though. The Pro 750 are also easier to drive.

The DT770 need an amp in my opinion and the Pro750 don't need one but the bass gets a bit tighter with one.

Out of the box both sound good, but with some burn in they start to sing. I have the DT880 and similar to the Pro750 the more you listen to them (the more hours they have on them) the better and smoother they sound.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back