Best over ear headphones under 500? other recommendations??
Nov 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

aidenator

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum however I am not totally new to decent headphones. I have owned, Shure, Bose, Beats, and then cheap stuff. I am ready to make a bigger jump to some headphones that are a bit more of the "real deal". I Would like like to keep it under 500, and I am curious as to what would be best for open and closed back models. What amp might be best for those headphones, and other that would be good. I have a decent sound system but it is somewhat old, and I do most of my music listening from a 120 GB iPod Classic. Thanks a bunch guys.

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum however I am not totally new to decent headphones. I have owned, Shure, Bose, Beats, and then cheap stuff. I am ready to make a bigger jump to some headphones that are a bit more of the "real deal". I Would like like to keep it under 500, and I am curious as to what would be best for open and closed back models. What amp might be best for those headphones, and other that would be good. I have a decent sound system but it is somewhat old, and I do most of my music listening from a 120 GB iPod Classic. Thanks a bunch guys.

Assuming that this is going to be a portable rig (hence the iPod, unless you're just going to use that as the source), almost every portable can under the sun could be covered with that budget. If it's a home rig you're looking for (well even if it isn't), you'll still have to tell us any sound preferences that you have.

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 12
+1 for your sound preference

There are headphones for every situation, so if you don't really tell us what you will be using them for, it's a little bit difficult to recommend something to you.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 12
I listen all variants of music, wether it be rock, instrumental, hip-hop, I listen to it. but I personally like a decent bass that isn't super muddy like a lot of Beats by Dre. I like good mids as well. The majority of my music I do not need something with the stellar highs. I use them in home if I use them "on the go" that would be on a plane, possibly a car.... so not really on the go. I use my Porta-Pros for around town use. I  will use a computer and iPod a lot, and sometimes my sound system. I will happily get a headphone amp, but don't necessarily want to drop a grand on that either.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
I listen all variants of music, wether it be rock, instrumental, hip-hop, I listen to it. but I personally like a decent bass that isn't super muddy like a lot of Beats by Dre. I like good mids as well. The majority of my music I do not need something with the stellar highs. I use them in home if I use them "on the go" that would be on a plane, possibly a car.... so not really on the go. I use my Porta-Pros for around town use. I  will use a computer and iPod a lot, and sometimes my sound system. I will happily get a headphone amp, but don't necessarily want to drop a grand on that either.

Sounds like either the HD650 or the HE-400. Check out some reviews on them (I know there's a couple of HD650/HE-400 comparisons around somewhere...)

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 12
If you haven't seen the Black Friday Deals thread yet I suggest you do so. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637550/black-friday-cyber-monday-deals-from-head-fi-sponsors

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 12
Sniping I just checked them out, TwinQY what is the HE-400, is that Shure? I know have seen the HD650 not the prettiest phones I have seen, but they are highly recommended by many reviews I have read. Also what would I need for an amp with those?? 

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Sniping I just checked them out, TwinQY what is the HE-400, is that Shure? I know have seen the HD650 not the prettiest phones I have seen, but they are highly recommended by many reviews I have read. Also what would I need for an amp with those?? 

HD650s, not pretty....
frown.gif

The HE-400 are from HiFiMAN. Getting really, really popular around here. Definitely not a flavor of the month, when it's been popular for the entire year really. Very comparable with the HD650.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631682/he400-vs-hd650
http://www.head-fi.org/t/605929/review-comparison-he-400-vs-d2000-with-snippets-of-hd650-thrown-in

An amp is probably needed for the HD650, less so for the HE-400, but still needed. Minimum should be an FiiO E17. Both are really good with either the Asgard or the Lyr.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Actually, I've been doing fine with the HE-400's off my laptop for the time being, but I do wish to get a nice amp in the future.

Yeah, best thing with these is that even when underpowered, they don't sound too bad. Sometimes I plug them straight into the laptop if I'm watching movies or videos on youtube, since my DAC's locked up by ALSA for only music playback.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
So HE-400s or HD-650 is what I am sensing to be the overall recommendation???

Yep, the general consensus this year is that these two dominate the $400 bracket in the open headphones category. They are just two different approaches, the "dynamic extended detailed layered" approach and the "smooth engaging natural cohesive" approach.

Ideally though HE500s combine the best of the two. Then again those are $700 (or much less if you could find a good second-hand deal, like I did). The only downside is HE500s also combine the weight of the two haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back