Best planars to complement a TotL Focal?
Mar 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Solan

500+ Head-Fier
I have a dream of planars, maybe just because of the technology itself. But I also take great joy in just being a damn bass head for an hour, turning on Röyksopp and Bounty Hunter for an experience of bass all the way down.

Then again, I am a vocal afficionado, and will listen to pure a cappella or opera for hours.

I am also 54 years old, and I decided my midlife crisis money waste should be spent on music, not motorbikes and teenage babes. So I have already bought myself a pair of Focal Stellia, for my closed headphones need. Not that my previous cans were bad (Grado RS1, and markl modded Denon AD-H5000), but midlife crisis is midlife crisis!

Now, my wallet burns to finish off with a nice pair of planars to complement the Stellia. And so I wonder what your recommendations would be. I listen for the love of music, and only that. I spend money on singing lessons, so I listen "critically" to voices to open up their secrets and maybe learn, or to guitars being picked because I simply love to hear the sound of guitars from the moment the string is picked, but never "critically" like a studio engineer to dig out flaws in a recording. And I'm a part-time closet basshead, even though vocals are my main obsession.

PS: My home Amp is Focal Arche, and at work the Apogee Duet / One.

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 3
Arya's and Focal are a great combination. They have dissimilar enough qualities that you aren't duplicating the same sound.

Arya's are my main headphones, I've had them two years and love them to death (more than Stax, Sennheiser, etc). I just ordered a pair of Clear MG's for my 'want some variety' headphones.

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Arya's and Focal are a great combination. They have dissimilar enough qualities that you aren't duplicating the same sound.

Arya's are my main headphones, I've had them two years and love them to death (more than Stax, Sennheiser, etc). I just ordered a pair of Clear MG's for my 'want some variety' headphones.

How are the other HiFiMan-headphones in this regard? Especially their flagships he1000se and Susvara? And while we're at it: Abyss 1266 and the Dianas?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back