Best Quality For Absolute Lowest Price
Apr 7, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 33
Are we talking good value headphones, or just best for dirt cheap?

Monoprice 8323 is best for dirt cheap. I think the JVC S500 is the current "omg god tier sound for so cheap omg" headphone. 

As for value. I think all cheap but decent headphones like the 8323 are a lot better value than anything more expensive. They all provide most of the sound for a tiny fraction of the price. Audio quality is something that runs into diminishing returns pretty quickly. 

It would be cool if someone were to do a huge under $50 roundup like we have the portable full size round up or the top of the line round up. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #17 of 33
Samson SR850, Superlux HD668B
Takstar HI 2050, Technical Pro HPT990 (aliexpress).

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #18 of 33
absolute king of sub 50$ headphones is the jvc ha-rx700. they are huge though

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Hadn't heard of any of these brands prior to reading this thread. I got some recs in another thread, and thought I was getting prank suggestions but they turned out to be actual brands and models of headphones!

It's interesting that after all this time, there hasn't been a shake out of smaller companies or massive consolidation of ownership within the industry.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #20 of 33
No massive consolidation is possible with the current China.

More usual trend is that you can find the same headphones (with minor changes) under quite different labels. An example is how many Fischer Audio FA-004 clones does exist. Maxell Retro DJ is one of them. Here in Slovakia you can buy Maxell Retro DJ for 18 EUR and they sound amazingly for the price.

But in the category above 200 EUR the situation is quite different.

May 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Which one is better?

May 11, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #22 of 33
That depends on sound character of your equipment and on your preferences.
Samson SR850, Superlux HD668B - brighter sound, suitable to warmer source, like integrated sound card or warmer DAC/AMP.
Takstar HI 2050, Technical Pro HPT990 - warmer sound, suitable with brighter or neutral source.

May 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:
That depends on sound character of your equipment and on your preferences.
Samson SR850, Superlux HD668B - brighter sound, suitable to warmer source, like integrated sound card or warmer DAC/AMP.
Takstar HI 2050, Technical Pro HPT990 - warmer sound, suitable with brighter or neutral source.

Which is better when listening to pop and rock from my computer and phone?

May 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:
Are we talking good value headphones, or just best for dirt cheap?

Monoprice 8323 is best for dirt cheap. I think the JVC S500 is the current "omg god tier sound for so cheap omg" headphone. 

As for value. I think all cheap but decent headphones like the 8323 are a lot better value than anything more expensive. They all provide most of the sound for a tiny fraction of the price. Audio quality is something that runs into diminishing returns pretty quickly. 

It would be cool if someone were to do a huge under $50 roundup like we have the portable full size round up or the top of the line round up. 

Not sure what you mean by "omg god tier sound for so cheap omg" headphone...

I bought a set of JVC S500's about a week ago.
Wary of the hype, but for $39.20 (+reasonable shipping)
I decided they were worth checking out.

And I think they are, in fact, very impressive.
Definitely my pick for 'best headphones for the smallest price'.

May 14, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:
Which is better when listening to pop and rock from my computer and phone?

I would recommend Samson SR850 or Superlux HD668B for warmer sources like computer integrated sound card and phone. Takstar Hi 2050 or Technical Pro HPT990 are IMHO more suitable with neutral or brighter DAC & headphone AMP.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #26 of 33
The best deal around for sound and build is still the JVC FXD70 with new foam tips IMO. They are 30 USD from amazon japan. They need new tips for comfort and sound though for me at least. They are machine drilled out of stainless steel which is pretty remarkable considering the price and have a good quality cable. They also have very good comfort. They sound better than the JVC S500 and Creative Aurvana Live and are much better than the S500 for comfort (with foam tips).
They have amazing clarity and refinement/detail in the treble with good imaging. Overall rather balanced but with a bit thin midrange that don't sound boring or analytical. Very good timbre with instruments. It's one of the few cheaper headphones that have brought me to tears listening to music which is the highest praise I can give to a headphone. It's the purity and power of the music coming through that moves you.

The Chinese super cheap over-ears like the Yoga electronics copies of the better known FA-004 and FA-003 also offers really good value. The Superlux 668B are a bit too grainy and harsh to be mentioned. 
I have to give it to Takstar 2050 when we are talking a lot of headphone for little money. They are also a bit harsh though and need EQ.

I have to mention something special though that I'm not sure would count.
There is a (Swedish) company called Dirac who make some pretty fantastic DSP corrections to an Apple Earpod.
This basically transforms them sonically. Like going from night and day with a switch.
It's a free app and 3 buck if you want the full version and IMO this is the best deal in all of audio by far. The ratio of sound quality per dollar is off the scale, especially if it's free.
bigsmile_face.gif

You need an iPhone / iPad and a pair of earpods/earbuds though. If you have a pair of earpods or earbuds you need to try this out at least.

There are some other free programs like TB Isone/Isone Pro, TB EZQ and EasyQ as well as a number of free and cheap mobile players/apps that can make a HUGE difference to some headphones as well but I put Dirac as no1.

I'm almost as excited about cheap good sounding stuff as I am about my LCD-3, HD800 and soon Stax.
Future headphones are going to be amazingly cheap and amazingly good sounding. Remember where you heard it first!

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #27 of 33
Portapros are epic headphones at $40, I have a pair and love them to death. Sportapros are just a cheaper, more modern variant of the Portapros.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #28 of 33
Another vote for grado

I've not heard the new Grado SR60i .... but the old SR60 version is great value for money,  build quality could be better tho

Grado SR60 :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #29 of 33
Koss ksc75, grado 60, jvc harx 700 are all good. Panasonic htf-600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back