Best setup for Pink Floyd (poll)
Apr 29, 2008 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Solan

500+ Head-Fier
In a thread over best Pink Floyd album, someone (whistle) came up with the idea of polling for the best setup (amp/cans) for Pink Floyd, and someone else agreed. For Pink Floyd only, and not for anything else whatsoever.

So the poll / question for this thread is:
If you should build your listenong setup for maximizing Pink Floyd enjoyment only, which components would you choose? And why? Reasons should at least at one point refer to a specific PF album or song.

I know this may be considered to be in the wrong forum, but then again, being so extremely music specific, I found after long pondering that this is where it really belongs, and I hope the mods that be agree.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 16
Shouldn't your favorite alcohol or other mind altering substance be included for a Pink Floyd listening setup? :p

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 16
Though I don't do vinyl or tubes, I'll have to second both the Grados and mind-altering substances.

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 16
Probably and un-popular opinion here, but I don't think Pink Floyd can be truly experienced with head gear. Pink Floyd needs a sound stage I have not found in headphones....Granted I am not willing to spend $500+ on head phones....so my opinion is probably worthless
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 16
Lol I thought of the band setup here.

I think Sennheisers do decent job running after PF. Even though I have a turntable, it's very lousy and I have Meddle, DSOTM and Atom Heart Mother along with The Greatest Dance Songs on LP because I think I'll upgrade my vinyl rig later. Besides, the covers itself are good reason to get them.
smily_headphones1.gif
CD's ones are just too small.

The track Saucerful of Secrets with HD650 sounds very brave and bodyful. Also the live disk of Ummagumma feels right. Many thinks Grados being good for PF; I had a listen or two with Grado SR80 on PF albums. Have to say my HD650 wins this round, although the comparison is not fair. (Then there are some artists that music sounds outstanding via grados but that's not on the scope of this thread.)

Animals is good, DSOTM's Time as a SACD is something reaching the highest of musical pleasures. The wand is Sennheiser and the vibration is on.
wink.gif

So, at my current experiencing I have to rank my own current digirig. Juli@ -> Arietta -> HD650. I'm thinking of upgrading the source to something decent but that takes some time.

Apr 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 16
Time to unplug/turn off phone. Room to spin around 20-40 times. Bean bag or reclining chair or bed to collapse in. Ability to keep eyes closed. Add other substances as necessary, including, depending on budget:
Ultrasone 2500s (most holographic S-Logicy),
Lambda (semi-panoramics) or newer Stax,
or a shining Orpheus system (best I've heard Paranoid Eyes on).

Apr 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First and most important piece: analog. Vinyl to be exact. From there I won't push my entire system but tubes and your favorite big cushy headphones can't be beat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't your favorite alcohol or other mind altering substance be included for a Pink Floyd listening setup? :p

Yes and yes!

May 1, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 16
Hmm, vinyl-> some nice speakers would probably be best. For headphones, I definitely think tubes do well, but cans with no veil. Especially for the shrieking transitioning to very chill guitar in Echoes, you've got to have cans that do guitar well (e.g. grados). However, for the same song, soundstage would be great too. I've only auditioned electrostatic phones, but iirc they would do very nicely. Bass would be nice but not my number one priority for PF.

oh yeah, and some of that mind-altering stuff too
wink.gif

May 1, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 16
Best I've heard (not mine..I wish!): Dark Side MFSL CD + Esoteric X-03SE + McIntosh 602 + B&W Nautilus 801 =
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably and un-popular opinion here, but I don't think Pink Floyd can be truly experienced with head gear.

hmmm, i'd beg to differ. i still remember the first time i heard dsotm. i was 14 and over at a friends house. he gave me some cheap old sennheisers to listen to. when the alarm clocks went off something inside of me awoke!
wink.gif

i had an interesting, eye opening experience at a meet last year listening to some neo-floyd (ie. porcupine tree). mr singlepower had an es-1 being fed by a meridian g08 seedie player and the choice of phones were a set of orpheus' (orphei?
confused.gif
), O2s, and a set of stax lambdas. this disc in this rig came most alive thru the least expensive stats there, good old lambdas.

May 1, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #15 of 16
Best PF experience I had one someone really hitting hard with DSOM though B&W floorstanders (not uber-expensive 801s or anything, but their midline). Nothing like a big barrage of bass hitting you in the chest to enjoy a little Floyd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back