Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #3,586 of 7,916
Hello everyone!!

I just found this excellent thread while doing some research and the insights here have really helped me in identifying some of the good music phones available in the market right now.

Unfortunately, my Sony Xperia Z3 is dying (ghost touch issue) and I've been looking for a replacement. I almost exclusively use my phone to listen to music (and a bit of gentle internet browsing on occasion) so the sound quality is important to me. 

Some of the other phones mentioned on here such as LG V10 is not available in my country right now so I can't consider them as options.

After reading all the HTC M10 reviews here and listening to it's sound on some youtube videos, I'm very tempted to buy it. It's outside my budget though and I was wondering if HTC X9 has comparable sound?? Or is the X9's sound similar to M9? The One M8 Eye is also available through Amazon here...would that be a better option than X9?

Also, was wondering what do you think about Oneplus 3's audio quality? Saw a youtube video where some benchmarking tests suggested it very closely trails behind M10 in audio quality,

Grateful for any advice/suggestions/thoughts you can throw my way.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #3,587 of 7,916
  Hello everyone!!

I just found this excellent thread while doing some research and the insights here have really helped me in identifying some of the good music phones available in the market right now.

Unfortunately, my Sony Xperia Z3 is dying (ghost touch issue) and I've been looking for a replacement. I almost exclusively use my phone to listen to music (and a bit of gentle internet browsing on occasion) so the sound quality is important to me. 

Some of the other phones mentioned on here such as LG V10 is not available in my country right now so I can't consider them as options.

After reading all the HTC M10 reviews here and listening to it's sound on some youtube videos, I'm very tempted to buy it. It's outside my budget though and I was wondering if HTC X9 has comparable sound?? Or is the X9's sound similar to M9? The One M8 Eye is also available through Amazon here...would that be a better option than X9?

Also, was wondering what do you think about Oneplus 3's audio quality? Saw a youtube video where some benchmarking tests suggested it very closely trails behind M10 in audio quality,

Supposedly the One A9 is quite good if youre looking in to HTC phones. Otherwise I see a lot of people in this thread talking aobut budget phones with decent DACs, but I can't tell you anytihng about those as I simply don't know enough. Hopefully someone else answers your comment with more info.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #3,590 of 7,916
I'm sitting on an okay phone but really want more in terms of portable audio: how does a dragonfly black + adapter (~$100) sound compared to the HTC 10 ($650) or Axon 7 ($400)? I'm not sure if I want to get a new phone just yet, but I know I want better audio. Are either of those two worth the expense?

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #3,591 of 7,916
  Hello everyone!!

Supposedly the One A9 is quite good if youre looking in to HTC phones. Otherwise I see a lot of people in this thread talking aobut budget phones with decent DACs, but I can't tell you anytihng about those as I simply don't know enough. Hopefully someone else answers your comment with more info.

Thank you, Rainmaker, for your reply. I did consider A9 but it has had some heating issues in the past which is why HTC came out with X9.

I'm only looking into HTC phones right now because I'm quite tempted by the Dolby sound quality. Plan to buy one this week so any advice that I can get would be much appreciated.

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #3,592 of 7,916
Alcatel Idol 4s is coming out and it has some hi-fi capabilities: http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/6cc939e8

The brand already produced some good sounding smartphones in the past so this is interesting.

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #3,593 of 7,916
  Alcatel Idol 4s is coming out and it has some hi-fi capabilities: http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/6cc939e8

The brand already produced some good sounding smartphones in the past so this is interesting.

Just watched the Android Authority review and it seems like a solid offering.
Still, I would wait for more reviews on the sound and a lower price..

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #3,594 of 7,916
  I'm sitting on an okay phone but really want more in terms of portable audio: how does a dragonfly black + adapter (~$100) sound compared to the HTC 10 ($650) or Axon 7 ($400)? I'm not sure if I want to get a new phone just yet, but I know I want better audio. Are either of those two worth the expense?

In my opinion you get far more for the money by getting a decent phone and buying a dac/amp unit separatly. Sure there are some good sounding phones out there but I have never been a fan of geting something for 1 specific reason, after all you often get a far better phone by getting what is made for the masses than the audiophiles.

As for which dac you should choose... it's all up to you but there are a lot of options around that price area such as the HRT dsp, Hifime sabre 9018 dac (micro usb, usb c), Encore mDSD, ZuperDAC... Honestly there are a lot of good options out there these days.

Jul 23, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #3,595 of 7,916
Hi, 
does anyone use Xiaomi smartphone as DAP?
Currently i'm trying to choose between Redmi 3 Pro and Redmi Note 3 Pro but there is not much information about audio quality... also, Redmi Note 3 Pro is kinda too big for me but i can live with it if audio quality is good.

Most of the budget smartphones have a shiity audio quality - I don't like warm, bassy(boomy sound).

I owned several DAPs - Sansa Clip+/Zip, Fiio X1, Fiio X5, Ibasso DX50, Xduoo X2/X3.

My current setup:
- Sony NWZ A15
- AKG K551, AKG K545
- Etymotic HF5 (green filters)
- Superlux HD669

I will appreciate any information about Xiaomi smartphones sound quality.

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #3,596 of 7,916
Hi, 
does anyone use Xiaomi smartphone as DAP?
Currently i'm trying to choose between Redmi 3 Pro and Redmi Note 3 Pro but there is not much information about audio quality... also, Redmi Note 3 Pro is kinda too big for me but i can live with it if audio quality is good.

Most of the budget smartphones have a shiity audio quality - I don't like warm, bassy(boomy sound).

I owned several DAPs - Sansa Clip+/Zip, Fiio X1, Fiio X5, Ibasso DX50, Xduoo X2/X3.

My current setup:
- Sony NWZ A15
- AKG K551, AKG K545
- Etymotic HF5 (green filters)
- Superlux HD669

I will appreciate any information about Xiaomi smartphones sound quality.

I once use mi note as DAP so long before I gave it to my sis and bought new one. But I am recommending you to have mi note pro instead.

Despite the fact that it has big screen to you, the sound quality is really impressive, natural bass and bright tonal.

Another one onteresting is letv le 1 pro.

However if your choice is only redmi product, i recommend redmi note 3 pro since SQ is a bit better (for my taste, at least)

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #3,597 of 7,916
Thanks for quick reply.
Mi Note Pro is interesting device but it is over my budget(more than 100$ bigger price than Redmi Note 3 Pro) and... even bigger screen size  than Redmi Note 3 Pro.

Letv is very hard (even impossible) to get in my country.

Are you able to compare Redmi Note 3 Pro to any of the DAPs on my list? I like most of them but Sony A15 is kinda magic(in terms of sound) to me but... I don't use it very often anymore, so I'm trying to replace it with smartphone. I also own Lumia 640 Lte and it isn't bad( better than my old HTC 8X) but not as good as Sony A15. Maybe better than Sansa's and Fiio X1 but not as good as other DAP's from my list.

p.s.
Another good thing in Redmi series is battery life which is very important to me.

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #3,598 of 7,916
Thanks for quick reply.
Mi Note Pro is interesting device but it is over my budget(more than 100$ bigger price than Redmi Note 3 Pro) and... even bigger screen size  than Redmi Note 3 Pro.

Letv is very hard (even impossible) to get in my country.

Are you able to compare Redmi Note 3 Pro to any of the DAPs on my list? I like most of them but Sony A15 is kinda magic(in terms of sound) to me but... I don't use it very often anymore, so I'm trying to replace it with smartphone. I also own Lumia 640 Lte and it isn't bad( better than my old HTC 8X) but not as good as Sony A15. Maybe better than Sansa's and Fiio X1 but not as good as other DAP's from my list.

p.s.
Another good thing in Redmi series is battery life which is very important to me.

I would not compare smartphone with DAP publicly.

If you want me to compare, PM me :)

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #3,599 of 7,916
I would not compare smartphone with DAP publicly.

If you want me to compare, PM me :)

Of course you can compare, also on a open forum :). Smartphones are getting better and better and several compete with mid tier daps. Those who don't believe that, well up to them :grinning:.

I am enjoying my HTC 10 and LG V10 and don't want/need a dap/dac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back