Best solid state headphone amp under $2500
Jul 15, 2017 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tunes

Headphoneus Supremus
For seemingly power hungry TOTL headphones such as the Hifiman 1000 V2 that may need more than the CHORD Hugo 2 can supply for larger sound stage, dynamics, improved bass impact/slam, I have come across several reasonably priced amps that others have reported good synergy with the HEK V2 in this regard including the MicroZOTL2 tube amp, the Violectric HPA V281, the Trilogy 931 (special order from England), the very inexpensive Schiit Jotunheim, and finally the Wells Audio Milo. Has anyone heard any of these with the HEK V2 and also with the Focal Utopias?? At the moment I am mostly considering the Vioelectric vs Milo. I have heard amazing things about the Trilogy but few reviews. The Vioelectric can drive two cans at once and powerful, the Milo is most tube like and perhaps better synergy with the Focals.

Thanks

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Offering my experience that my Milo is amazing with my HE1000 v2. No idea how it is with the Focals, but I would imagine great. I've listened extensively with my Aeon and Grado headphones as well. Just seems to sound great with everything I plug in. Price starts well below your budget but I'd recommend talking to Jeff (owner) and add a couple minor upgrades.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 11
Offering my experience that my Milo is amazing with my HE1000 v2. No idea how it is with the Focals, but I would imagine great. I've listened extensively with my Aeon and Grado headphones as well. Just seems to sound great with everything I plug in. Price starts well below your budget but I'd recommend talking to Jeff (owner) and add a couple minor upgrades.
This for the suggestions.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 11
While I haven't heard a long laundry list of SS amps, I have listened to my share with both the HiFiMan HE1000 v2 and with Audeze LCD-4 -- hands down, best amp is the Audio GD Master 9. Incredible grip and control, a 'liquid' like and relaxed presentation with plenty of detail and soundstage. One look under the hood of this audio jewelry and you can see why if this amp had a 'Mark Levinson' name badge, it would cost $5 to $6k.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 11
While I haven't heard a long laundry list of SS amps, I have listened to my share with both the HiFiMan HE1000 v2 and with Audeze LCD-4 -- hands down, best amp is the Audio GD Master 9. Incredible grip and control, a 'liquid' like and relaxed presentation with plenty of detail and soundstage. One look under the hood of this audio jewelry and you can see why if this amp had a 'Mark Levinson' name badge, it would cost $5 to $6k.
Have you compared it to the
Violectric HPA V281??

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 11
If I was you I would definitely not buy Audio-gd blindly.
Actually very hard to recomend you something, wait for some more experienced headfier which will have big experience with your mention amps or try ask in HE1000 thread there will be more people or go to some Canjam with your headphone and create your own picture what you like the most.

But HE1000v2 is not Audeze so I think even tube amp could be very good option, HE1000 is my the most favorite headphone I tried, very good choose on headphone it is the most important from all system.
Milo seems to be here very popular and good on popular things is that if you will not like you can always good sell it, it is always good point to consider.

Depends what you want I like quality constructed SS amps for example like CustomWorks Hypa 1 it is not highend but you know that it will not colour music much, sure there might be some unknown amps like this in your country too. And I do not have much experience with expensive highend amps here on headfi, Sure I would be interested to try it but do not have interest buy it.

And my recomend do not forget on quality cables, sure do not have to be expensive but choose quality. It definitely also play some role in my experiences although with speakers it is more obvious than with headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 11
For seemingly power hungry TOTL headphones such as the Hifiman 1000 V2 that may need more than the CHORD Hugo 2 can supply for larger sound stage, dynamics, improved bass impact/slam, I have come across several reasonably priced amps that others have reported good synergy with the HEK V2 in this regard including the MicroZOTL2 tube amp, the Violectric HPA V281, the Trilogy 931 (special order from England), the very inexpensive Schiit Jotunheim, and finally the Wells Audio Milo. Has anyone heard any of these with the HEK V2 and also with the Focal Utopias?? At the moment I am mostly considering the Vioelectric vs Milo. I have heard amazing things about the Trilogy but few reviews. The Vioelectric can drive two cans at once and powerful, the Milo is most tube like and perhaps better synergy with the Focals.

Thanks

sorry, never listened to the amps you named.... just writing since I have both the HEKv2 and the Utopia, and the sinergy with the Auralic Taurus MKII is IMHO very good (balanced for the HEKv2, unbalanced for the Utopia). the slightly warm sound of the Taurus pairs really very well in particular with the Utopia.

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 11
Jul 26, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm auditioning v281 and Ragnarok at a store this Sunday. Have heard them before in the last 2 months but just getting a final listen before deciding.

Audio Gd 9 was suggested to me very late in my selection phase. Unfortunately I will pass since I will not buy without listening to it first.

There could be other very powerful ss amps but these 3 will drive any headphones except electrostatics.

Rag is neutral. v281 is neutral warm. Both sound great with HD800. If that helps.

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 11
I'm auditioning v281 and Ragnarok at a store this Sunday. Have heard them before in the last 2 months but just getting a final listen before deciding.

Audio Gd 9 was suggested to me very late in my selection phase. Unfortunately I will pass since I will not buy without listening to it first.

There could be other very powerful ss amps but these 3 will drive any headphones except electrostatics.

Rag is neutral. v281 is neutral warm. Both sound great with HD800. If that helps.
Glad you have that opportunity. If available take a listen with the CHORD HUGO2 in the chain and with CHORD HUGO2 alone paired with both HEK2 and Utopia. That is my current interest. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back