Best Sound Quality: Superlux 681 vs 681B vs 681 EVO?
Jan 28, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 10
I haven't tried the Evo, but I definitely prefer the sound of the 681 over the 668B. It's not a big difference mind you...if I remember correctly the main thing I liked better was the mids on them were a little more forward and clear so it made things like guitars and male vocals seem more accurate.
Also, they fit a lot better, I didn't like the headband on the 668B at all, but after a pad swap, the 681 are very comfortable.

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 10
I haven't tried the Evo, but I definitely prefer the sound of the 681 over the 668B. It's not a big difference mind you...if I remember correctly the main thing I liked better was the mids on them were a little more forward and clear so it made things like guitars and male vocals seem more accurate.
Also, they fit a lot better, I didn't like the headband on the 668B at all, but after a pad swap, the 681 are very comfortable.
Did you have any problem with treble?

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Did you have any problem with treble?
Not as much as I was expecting. I did do a slight mod where I put an extra layer of acoustic foam inside the cups to bring it down a little, and of course I have EQ settings for all my headphones. Between those two things I have no issues with the treble at all. There are all kinds of known mods for these headphones to help tame treble, increase bass etc.
I was concerned about the treble as well and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like these headphones. I got a 668B and a 681 at the same time and I was going to use the drivers from one of them in a vintage set of headphones I have. I thought for sure I'd like the 668B and the 681s would be too bright, but the opposite was true.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 10
Not as much as I was expecting. I did do a slight mod where I put an extra layer of acoustic foam inside the cups to bring it down a little, and of course I have EQ settings for all my headphones. Between those two things I have no issues with the treble at all. There are all kinds of known mods for these headphones to help tame treble, increase bass etc.
I was concerned about the treble as well and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like these headphones. I got a 668B and a 681 at the same time and I was going to use the drivers from one of them in a vintage set of headphones I have. I thought for sure I'd like the 668B and the 681s would be too bright, but the opposite was true.
Will EQ alone take care of the sharp treble?

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Will EQ alone take care of the sharp treble?
I think so...depends on your ears though. The foam mod I mentioned? It's as simple as take a piece of material and place it between the surface of the driver and your ear...lots of people use tissue paper or paper towels, I happen to have saved a bunch of foam scraps. I cut a few different ones to the proper shape and tried them out until I found one that tamed the treble in a way I liked without muffling the sound. It's really simple, easily reversible and you don't even have to open the headphones up. The stock pads already come with a layer of foam, I merely swapped out a little bit thicker one.

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Listening to my 681 Evo at the moment. Pat Metheny, Speaking of Now. Treble is definitely not sibilant. Cymbals are not emphasized. Vocals are not harsh. Bass is somewhat emphasized but it really does not step on the midrange, IMO. All in all, a pleasant-sounding headphone, as long as you don't mind some bass. Haven't heard the 681 in too long but I personally find the 668B to be far too bright for my liking. FWIW and YMMV, of course.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 10
I think so...depends on your ears though. The foam mod I mentioned? It's as simple as take a piece of material and place it between the surface of the driver and your ear...lots of people use tissue paper or paper towels, I happen to have saved a bunch of foam scraps. I cut a few different ones to the proper shape and tried them out until I found one that tamed the treble in a way I liked without muffling the sound. It's really simple, easily reversible and you don't even have to open the headphones up. The stock pads already come with a layer of foam, I merely swapped out a little bit thicker one.
Don't foam mods and such mods reduce overall sound quality?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 10
Don't foam mods and such mods reduce overall sound quality?
Not if you do them right. They already come with some foam over the drivers, it's actually something a lot of manufacturers do. All I did was add a slightly thicker foam. Think of it like a car that came from the factory with all weather tires and you swapped out the tires for ones more suited to your needs. If you put the wrong tires on it could mess up the performance, but the right tires could greatly improve the performance.
It's really a small mod, you aren't going to ruin the headphones sound....and you might not even mind the treble with the stock foam in there anyway. This is just another option to tune the headphones to your tastes.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back